SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-22-23, 01:09 PM   #1
bedros
Mate

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 0

Default Visual contact even when submerged

Hi guys, I'm having problems because when I'm submerged instead of sound contact I receive visual contact like "ship spotted" and on map I've ships silhouette instead the sound contact lines.
Someone could help me?
bedros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-23, 01:22 PM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

The game can only do one "sensor" at a time, so you might start with a "Sonar target, blah blah blah", and you'll see the sonar line(s) pointing at your "target(s)". If you have a radar detector and then receive a "Radar signals detected!" message, you will now see the radar signal line pointing at your "target", and the sonar lines go away. If you then make contact on radar, the "radar signals detected" line will go away, and you have your radar "blip" to go by. Then comes visual, and as soon as visual contact is made, all other information is redundant and goes away. This applies to ships and planes as they come into visual range. So you might have a mix of various lines and icons representing potential "targets", but none of them will have more than one type of sensor detection associated with them. The "visual contact" you describe can happen even when you have your periscope down under certain circumstances, but if you drop a pinch in depth, you will usually go back to the default sonar contact lines. So if you are seeing icons on the map, check your periscope, and if necessary, go to 20m or similar, something below PD. Give the game a few minutes to "lose" that visual and give you the sonar back...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-23, 01:58 PM   #3
bedros
Mate

Unfortunately isn't this case, when I submerge to detect sound contacts at long distance (over 20km) instead to have lines and sound contact I get visual contact with ship spotted, if I go to the surface I have no visual contact because too far.
Old 02-22-23, 05:07 PM   #4
1Patriotofmany
XO

Downloads: 92

Leave your periscope up by accident?
1Patriotofmany is online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-23, 05:16 PM   #5
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedros View Post
Unfortunately isn't this case, when I submerge to detect sound contacts at long distance (over 20km) instead to have lines and sound contact I get visual contact with ship spotted, if I go to the surface I have no visual contact because too far.
In that case, the game is a mess... Post back with where you got the game from (ie: Steam, Ubisoft, Amazon or disk), what folder you have the game installed in, and if you have mods activated, run JSGME and use the "Tasks... Export activated mods list to -> Clipboard", and then Ctrl-V paste that into your next post.

Old 02-22-23, 07:25 PM   #6
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
In that case, the game is a mess... Post back with where you got the game from (ie: Steam, Ubisoft, Amazon or disk), what folder you have the game installed in, and if you have mods activated, run JSGME and use the "Tasks... Export activated mods list to -> Clipboard", and then Ctrl-V paste that into your next post.
you should have him check his crew roster for Mike Nelson.
if Mike is a crewman, it is more than likely that he has attached himself to the periscope in order to keep a watchful eye on the enemy while his boat is submerged. this is why the contact reports are visual.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-23, 10:59 PM   #7
propbeanie

Ya know what else I just thought it might be KM? If bedros is doing the Stock game, it might be one of those "Ultra" reports that don't say they're Ultra or anything... just a convoy or task force dutifully reporting itself... In the Stock game bedros, those can happen rather frequently, and are little square icons with tails, showing general direction of travel. If you click on them, they might have some text like "Small convoy, medium speed" or some-such... It is a waste of effort to go chasing them much over 50 or 60nm away, but at 20nm, it is rather doable to chase them down... unless, of course, it is a Task Force traveling away at 24 knots...

Old 02-23-23, 09:44 AM   #8
bedros
Mate

Icon12

Problem solved , it was fault of a special ability "sonarcontactasvisual" removed from special ability and now works normally, thanks to all.