Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-16-19, 08:22 PM   #1
Abbott
Watch

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0
Default Dangerous Waters stock-scenario question

I am playing the 3rd scenario (stock game) "Barents sea loiter" and I am not getting a target classification on any contacts. I am uncertain why this is, even with the game's crew (all) switched on there are still no targets able to be fired upon. Any ideas?
Abbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-19, 09:11 PM   #2
FPSchazly
Good Hunting!

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 1

No targets whatsoever or no targets to be fired upon? If you're only just barely detecting them, then you're not close enough to get a classification. If you're not seeing them, they're there, you just have to get closer.

My videos:
**Exclusive Look at Modern Naval Warfare!**
Dangerous Waters Liu Doctrine (LwAmi
Learn to play Dangerous Waters
FPSchazly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-19, 12:22 AM   #3
Abbott
Watch

There are contacts but no classifications. I thought about doing a speed run to get closer to the contacts. We are both thinking the same thing, it is a issue of range to contact, I bet that's it. I will give that a try, thanks for the reply.

Great work on your YouTube stuff BTW, your videos are very informative.
Old 10-17-19, 01:06 AM   #4
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

Abbott!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-19, 05:09 AM   #5
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > Abbott
Subsim <> Make A Donation <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community

THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-19, 09:39 AM   #6
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

With closer range you should get more higher frequencies. Or the higher frequencies of the bow array become easier to detect. Also the active sonar frequency can sometimes help with identification. Though one needs to have a table/frequency list as I don't think it is in USNI.
Old 10-17-19, 01:28 PM   #7
Abbott
Watch

Thanks for the Welcome Posts you guys, it's nice to find an active community. I will post what I find out when I get a chance to try it again. I plan to set an intercept course towards the surface contacts and try to get them into closer sensor range as they pass my boat. I bet that will solve it. The Akula will just have to wait until I get a few missiles launched, then I bet that he will find me
Old 10-18-19, 08:24 AM   #8
Abbott
Watch

The surface fleet of three ships, one a cruiser, sailed right over the top of me at 20 knots, the Akula passed me at 30 knots at a depth of about 180 feet and I was unable to get a classification on any of them with all crew member's stations turned "on" and "truth" checked. They passed me at a range of 5 nautical miles or less, the Akula at about 500 yards distance. I have tried this stock scenario "Barents sea loiter" 5 or 6 times and have not gotten one classification as of yet. My speed was 2 knots and the contacts were not in my baffles. I'm going to give it another try real quick before I head out to the shop for work but damn! I may have to go back to playing 688 (i) if I can't figure out what is going on.
Old 10-18-19, 08:36 AM   #9
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Was the spherical or Hull/conformal array selected? If the towed array was selected it must be streamed out first. (Autocrew should do that though)
Old 10-18-19, 08:48 AM   #10
Abbott
Watch

The towed array was streamed, and I switched between the bow array, the towed array and the side classification array and let them all get a good look (several times). I'm unsure what I am doing wrong with Dangerous Waters, I just purchased it about a week ago.

I have played 688 (i) on and off since it's release and have no troubles generating target classifications. I know that once I understand what I am doing wrong with DW it will likely be something simple but I'm at a loss at the moment. I chose this particular scenario to learn DW with, I guess I could try another but this one offers surface and submerged targets and now I MUST KNOW! Grr!

Last edited by Abbott; 10-18-19 at 08:59 AM. Reason: Typos
Old 10-18-19, 09:11 AM   #11
FPSchazly
Good Hunting!

You're playing with truth on? Or you used truth to verify what you were seeing? If you have truth on, what's the need for classification? Is sonar not identifying the contact as a Kuznetsov, for example, or just not calling it hostile? I don't believe they will classify any contacts' allegiance.

My videos:
Old 10-18-19, 09:50 AM   #12
Pisces
Silent Hunter

I never played much with truth layer on, but I don't think it will try to classify if it is on. Selecting the contact should show what it is.

The sonar auto-crew constantly scans the bearings for new contacts. If there are many lines in broadband it will re-assign the limited amount of trackers available. And may not keep enough attention on it to establish an ID. If narrowband lines of multiple contacts on closely grouped bearings overlap then they have a hard time to identify also. Make sure the trackers are isolated.

If you get no classification with the truth layer turned off and sonar auto-crew on then I suspect a borked install.
Old 10-18-19, 10:32 AM   #13
Abbott
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPSchazly View Post
You're playing with truth on? Or you used truth to verify what you were seeing? If you have truth on, what's the need for classification? Is sonar not identifying the contact as a Kuznetsov, for example, or just not calling it hostile? I don't believe they will classify any contacts' allegiance.

I turned "truth" on after three or four run throughs of the scenario because I could not understand what is going on. I still don't. Before that I hadn't used it because I don't care to play the game with it on. I have the auto-crew switched on while I learn the game I'm not all that great with manual detection yet. I'm getting no classifications at all. Nothing other then a snap shot appears in fire control even though I have the dots lined up nicely on the center thread in TMA.
Old 10-18-19, 10:44 AM   #14
Abbott
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces View Post
I never played much with truth layer on, but I don't think it will try to classify if it is on. Selecting the contact should show what it is.

The sonar auto-crew constantly scans the bearings for new contacts. If there are many lines in broadband it will re-assign the limited amount of trackers available. And may not keep enough attention on it to establish an ID. If narrowband lines of multiple contacts on closely grouped bearings overlap then they have a hard time to identify also. Make sure the trackers are isolated.

If you get no classification with the truth layer turned off and sonar auto-crew on then I suspect a borked install.
I have been unable to assign trackers to any contact as of yet. I have been thinking that is part of the auto-crew's function because the function has not been working manually for me at all.

AHH, I bet I know what is going on!!! I am running Windows 10 as an operating system and I was using the / http://www.jiri-dvorak.cz/dangw/index.html file. The game ran but I was unable to alt-tab out of the game using that wrapper.

I then went to YouTube and installed The file that I found here at

FPSchazly site which now let's me alt-tab out of the game. It does not let me minimize/maximize my window but I can alt-tab out. I may not have a good uninstall of the wrapper file as I just deleted the .dll file.

I bet that I do have a borked install of the game! I didn't find time to try again this morning (I got sidetracked playing with my new puppy) but after reading yours and FPSchazly post's I bet that I have a bad install and need to redo it, I might be able to find time for that today when I finish up my chores and a project I'm working on out in the shop.

A re-install sounds like the next step in figuring this out.
Old 10-18-19, 10:54 AM   #15
FPSchazly
Good Hunting!

I'm glad you can alt+tab now but I don't think that's the issue. Both of those methods just modify how the game runs, they don't affect the installation. If you could record a video of what's happening, that would be immensely helpful.

As I recall, if only snapshot shows up in Fire Control, this usually means you have truth turned on. You have the dots lined up, are you doing TMA manually? Did you actually "Enter the solution"? Fire Control won't "see" a solution until you enter it. Or is auto-crew doing the TMA?

So, do you have track solutions on your NavMap that have course, speed, and range? I believe the only time you can't select a track to engage with fire control other than snapshot is if its classification is still "unknown" (versus being a surface track or sub-surface track) or if truth is on. You can manually set these "unknown" tracks to "surface" or "sub-surface" by right-clicking them on the NavMap and classifying the platform's category (I think that's what it's called, I know how to do it, just can't remember the name lol).

P.S. I'm glad my videos are helping out

My videos: