Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Ironclads
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-16-09, 02:06 PM   #1
moet
Nub

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Ironclads High Seas : the full game

I open this topic to discuss the full IHS game (not only the demo). My first impressions are :

- This is a skirmish scale game, partly historical.
- The interface is very well adapted to the skirmish scale. I specially appreciate the use of simplified navigating instruments to change the direction or the speed of the boat.
- I regret the lack of information on ships, specially the localization of the damages and the weaponery of ennemy boats. At least, we should have the detailed specifications of the 12 types of ships in the manual.
- To avoid the loss of an entire group because of the heavy damage of its leader, the player should be empowered to change group leader during the battle, by moving the relevant icon to the left of the group window at the bottom on the screen.
- I think that ISH could become a really fun game ONLY if it gets multiplayer mode. Without it, the game won't be more than a good navigating school.
moet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-09, 08:53 AM   #2
Maxim
Totem Games

In the following version of a manual there will be a full information on all 12 types of the ships. Besides we work over free addition. In addition will be two more types of the ships and a mode of random battle.

We will think over possibility to replace the leader. It is not historical, but if players consider that it important we will think over it.

Well if we will collect enough money resources we will add a multiplayer.

We have set for the beginning of work on game to ourselves a problem to make it better than the first. Similar that it was possible. Now will collect again your wishes to improve this game.

Maxim Ferapontov
Totem Team
Maxim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-09, 12:46 PM   #3
mbv
Swabbie

@ Moet - I thought the group leader changed automatically to the next ship in line if the group leader takes too much damage (60%) and has to break off and runaway - at least that is how it happens for me in the 1.2 demo......
mbv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-09, 05:31 AM   #4
Maxim
Totem Games

I understand a situation so. The column cannot faster move the slowest ship. More often the most damaged ship in a column is the first. The more damages at the ship the less its speed. If speed of the first ship that and all the others falls. If to give the chance to change the leader of a column it all the same will faster not float.

But if to add such possibility the new leader on which less than damages will brake a column less the ambassador of reception of new damages.

Now let's look history. Admiral David Glasgow Farragut never changed the leader. 1864 Schleswig War - there is no change of leaders. 1864-70 Triple Alliance War - there is no change of the leader in fight. 1864-66 Guano War - there is no change of the leader in fight. 1866 Austro-Italian War - change of the leader at Italy before fight has deprived a management squadron. Change of the leader during fight is not possible. Fighting instructions describe an order of change of the leader in fight. After an exit of the leader from battle by the new leader there is a ship following it.

Why commanders of squadrons always by the biggest and powerful ship. Because it should sustain most of all damages.
Old 10-18-09, 07:01 PM   #5
moet
Nub

If that behavior (leader continuying to lead till he's almost dead) is historical, I accept it.

I understand also that changing the leader would not improve the speed of the the group as long as the groop speed is determined by the slowlest ship.

The result is that the player has to take this into account when he plays, which means that he has to protect his leaders as long as he can.
moet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-09, 08:42 AM   #6
Maxim
Totem Games

2 MBV\

Ironclads: High Seas in UK - $ 32.12 (when $ 5.13 sales tax)
Old 10-21-09, 01:21 PM   #7
SteamWake
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typical Russian View Post
2 MBV\

Ironclads: High Seas in UK - $ 32.12 (when $ 5.13 sales tax)
Available through??
Old 10-22-09, 01:07 AM   #8
Maxim
Totem Games

Well through our site. I addressed to publishing houses in UK. They consider that game in which Americans kill Americans in England will not be interesting. Well all throw and make the Crimean war...

I have specified the price as continuations of our conversation in other theme of this forum.
Old 10-22-09, 05:21 AM   #9
Maxim
Totem Games

We have begun work on free addition to game. It will be a duel mode. The player can type two squadrons of the ships for itself and the enemy. We can make that having chosen one side (for example the Union) the player could buy only the Union ships. And we can make so all types of the ships will be accessible to each side. How it will be better?

Besides we will add two new types of the ships.
Old 10-22-09, 02:13 PM   #10
SteamWake
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 5

Sounds cool, if I ever get enough 'disposable income' this will be the first title I'm going to pick up !
Old 10-26-09, 11:44 AM   #11
Ham920
Bosun

Downloads: 1281

Unless I missed something it’s hard to tell how you are doing relative to the battle unless you go to each ship and try to assess the damage. In the PC game “Fighting Steel” they provide a way to identify the damage of each ship in one interface. Might be something to consider.
Ham920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-09, 02:14 AM   #12
Maxim
Totem Games

We show damage of the ship to two places. It is necessary to move the cursor at the our or enemy ship or to choose any ship.

If I have correctly understood, you wish to see percent of damages on a ship icon. I have correctly understood?
Old 10-28-09, 10:37 AM   #13
Ham920
Bosun

Downloads: 1281
Default Ship Damage

The point I was referencing was that on one screen you could see the damage on all the ships on both sides rather than having to check each ship individually.
Ham920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-09, 01:43 AM   #14
Maxim
Totem Games

I have understood your idea. We will think over it.
Old 01-09-10, 11:52 AM   #15
EJDIII
Nub

Default how about these mods?

I like the Concept of Ironclads HIgh Seas very much , and the simplicity of it as in not every control has to be adjusted or set to move a ship as in some overly simulated so called "games". , I do have some things that I would like to see done or added to make it more replay enjoyable r en liven the game somewhat. most of these ideas are from older naval war a,es ;png since outdated, yet had some very user friendly freedoms of game play and speed of game issues. I have never had any intrest in multi player, in any game, so I'm indifferent to multi player or even any on-line play games, I like to play solo and against the AI only. maybe thats why theonly card game I enjoy is solitaire. this being said, here are some mods I would like to see, but of course these are just my Ideas, and I really don't know what it takes to enable such things, so please tolerate my suggestions, as just that, suggestions.

1. Be able to select the time duration of the battle, or be able to call off the attack by getting to the bouys or home port. the Arcade setting is long comparedto a "skirmish" or naval sorte". should be able to send out one ship and battle it out with 1-3 enemy ships, instead the opponents always sends out a full fleet.

2. I agree with another replier that you should be able to transfer the flag to another ship in the unit, that is historically correct, in all navies.

3. adjusting thespeed should be much quicker, I don't expect them to abruptly stop or take off like they are jet propelled, but een in the day of wood and steam salors could reef the sails and drag ancors, and do a mirade of tricks to bring a ship to a sudden stop.

4. the concept of all ships in a sqaudron following the other is not that realistic at all, ships did, and need to be able to be given indiviual commands options, or stay in formation. Realism is relative to the battle , many broke down into individual melees.

5. the fleet admiral (gamer) should be able to determine which enemy ships to focus an attack on, this is most realistic, although in reality ship to ship communications where often mistaken or ignored was a factor as well.

6. please speed up the rate of fire, gu table rate of fire for civil war guns do not need to be strickly adhered to, this is a game after all not reality, no matter how much the world likes to live reality in fantasy. double therate of fire on all guns, no exception. will liven up the game.

7. how about an option to add additional or change the gun types on ships as well?

8. ships should be allowed to designate how much crew are to work on repairs, put firesout etc. not just random.

9. so why can't I buy anyship I have the money for? ths lack of choice is very unrealistic, and is more of a jealosy clause as in many games, let the gamer buy what available.

10. how about some accesible files to mode the ships durability, number of gus, speed etc, sure it's not realistic, but it is a game, and it make for some fun in a game that has a nice concept, good grafics but needs soe re play apeal. what does it matter to ICHS if a gamer can cheat or modify the game? I mean really, what does it matter? I enjoy many war games, and the cheats and mods make for all differnt levels of replay desire. I think some game deveopers take games far to serious, I would think that giving a customer more control, more options, more replay fun would build a larger customer base as well as generate more intrest in future games .

I really do like the concept, looking forward eagerly to your one that has Spanish american war ships, but I hope ther are more controls, and a more up tempo feel tothe action, not so plodding, it's ok the first time, but gets less intresting each additional time, and the restraints are frustrationg and not needed anyways.

Last edited by EJDIII; 01-09-10 at 12:04 PM.
EJDIII is offline   Reply With Quote