SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-11-20, 01:37 AM   #1
CapZap1970
Sea Lord

Downloads: 259
Uploads: 51
Default Problems with GWX...

Kaleuns, is there any chance I get some help here, pls?
I am running SH3 with GWX3, but for some reason I can't pass to the second mission. I choose the 1st Flotilla and I am sent to sea on Aug/01 1939.

I am at sea 15 days or so, and when I return to Kiel after ending mission close enough to see the welcome band and crowd at the dock of Kiel, it says I am in the 7th/13th Flotilla and Kiel is not my home Base, and I am ordered to go to Königsberg, with a NULL patrol grid. I must mention that I don't/didn't save my career while at sea and reloaded, just made the entire first mission from the beginning to the end without save/exit/load saved career process.
Of course, when I exit SH3 and reload the game, it loads normal, I can go to the menu and CTD happens when I want to start my 2nd mission, the load bar goes up to almost the end and then CTD.

I modified the Flotilla.cfg file in order to have there the IXB sub, but I start my first patrol without changing anything or choosing new equipment in a standard IIA. Also modified the basic.cfg file to have all the equipment available early in the campaign.

That aside, I use only eye candy mods like Racerboy's effects, water streams for UBoats, etc

It's very frustrating, so, any help will be most welcome.

Thanks in advance

CapZap
Old 06-11-20, 02:21 AM   #2
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 452
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapZap1970 View Post
I modified the Flotilla.cfg file in order to have there the IXB sub, but I start my first patrol without changing anything or choosing new equipment in a standard IIA. Also modified the basic.cfg file to have all the equipment available early in the campaign.
Must be the issue...
Fifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-20, 03:51 AM   #3
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

SHO

Quote:
Kaleuns, is there any chance I get some help here, pls?
I am running SH3 with GWX3, but for some reason I can't pass to the second mission. I choose the 1st Flotilla and I am sent to sea on Aug/01 1939.

I am at sea 15 days or so, and when I return to Kiel after ending mission close enough to see the welcome band and crowd at the dock of Kiel, it says I am in the 7th/13th Flotilla and Kiel is not my home Base, and I am ordered to go to Königsberg, with a NULL patrol grid. I must mention that I don't/didn't save my career while at sea and reloaded, just made the entire first mission from the beginning to the end without save/exit/load saved career process.
Of course, when I exit SH3 and reload the game, it loads normal, I can go to the menu and CTD happens when I want to start my 2nd mission, the load bar goes up to almost the end and then CTD.

That aside, I use only eye candy mods like Racerboy's effects, water streams for UBoats, etc

It's very frustrating, so, any help will be most welcome.

Thanks in advance

CapZap
Might I suggest, doing a complete wipe of SH3, making sure to NOT forget the save folder for it.. using CCleaner to clear out all traces of the previous install, run the registry cleaner section after the main cleaner section.

CCleaner is a free to download & use cleaner and can be found here:
https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/download

After using CCleaner, reboot & after it does so then reinstall SH3 ( Edit: 1 other thing of note... when you go to do the reinstall... make 100% sure, to NOT reinstall in either the C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86), either... issues have been notated with doing so.. I'd strongly recommend you create a whole new location on C drive like: C:\Games\, this way you can then port any game into there, keeping them neat & organized as you can add in folders, for those & any other games you add in later, to your own methos of identifiers so as to recognize the game. I skip sending icons of the game .exe's to desktop right off so that I can edit them, to My tastes.. BUT.. I leave that to your discretion if you chose to follow that tidbit of info about the games .exe part. ) , set up accordingly to the specifications for GWX3, then the add in mods to follow that & trust you are using SH3Commander. If NOT, then that can be found here:
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/dow...o=file&id=4789

After getting everything reinstalled (including the SH3Commander, as well.. if you're NOT already using it...) leave the flotilla.cfg file alone & instead, I strongly recommend using this instead:

SH3 Transformer:
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/dow...o=file&id=5031

Thread for it, can be found here:
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=227408

Just point it to where you have SH3 installed, where SH3Commander is installed & finally... where your save game folder in Documents, is located.

Then.. let it do its thing, which will find & make available the Type IX U boat, selectable.

Hope this helps solve the quandary of having the Type IX able to be selected for use.. as well as gets you back in the hunt, without the snafu of NOT being able to continue your career...

Mad Mardigan

Last edited by Mad Mardigan; 06-12-20 at 06:12 PM.
Mad Mardigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-20, 01:06 PM   #4
CapZap1970
Sea Lord

Ok guys... fist of all, a biiiiiiig Thank You!
I will try your advises one by one.

One more question: The fact that I don't save my career in the middle of the sea, exit and then run again SH3 has anything to do with my problem? Last night came to my mind that many years ago we used to launch our first patrol, then when at open sea far from land, at least 50 km away, we saved and exit and then launch the game again. Can't remember the reason for doing this, but also recall that I used to have no issues...

I will let you know how things are doing with the process.

CapZap

Last edited by CapZap1970; 06-11-20 at 01:29 PM.
CapZap1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-20, 03:26 PM   #5
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

SHO

Quote:
Ok guys... fist of all, a biiiiiiig Thank You!
I will try your advises one by one.

One more question: The fact that I don't save my career in the middle of the sea, exit and then run again SH3 has anything to do with my problem? Last night came to my mind that many years ago we used to launch our first patrol, then when at open sea far from land, at least 50 km away, we saved and exit and then launch the game again. Can't remember the reason for doing this, but also recall that I used to have no issues...

I will let you know how things are doing with the process.

CapZap
Doing saves near to land, or other units.. even friendlies... would sometimes end up with nasty, messy save game corruption.. on that I do know of.. don't seem to recall having to reload the save after doing a save... could be as a spot check to ensure that the save was NOT corrupted... which, upon thinking about it.. does make sense.

Did foget 1 additional piece of info in My previous post.. I've since edited it so might be a good thing to reread it... got a bit ahead of Myself in posting it.

To make it easy to notice, I did highlight it a bit... hopefully NOT too much...

Mad Mardigan

Old 06-12-20, 05:07 PM   #6
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Something no one has mentioned yet: On what date did you start your patrol? GWX lets you start your career on August 1st, or one month before the war. This is because some boats were sent out on August 19th, in preparation for the war. In your case you returned from that patrol two weeks before the war even started. GWX will automatically default to Königsberg until the 1st of September when the 7th Flotilla moves to Kiel.

As was pointed out earlier SH3 Commander can fix all these problems.
Old 06-12-20, 06:09 PM   #7
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

SHO Re: Early war career start...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
Something no one has mentioned yet: On what date did you start your patrol? GWX lets you start your career on August 1st, or one month before the war. This is because some boats were sent out on August 19th, in preparation for the war. In your case you returned from that patrol two weeks before the war even started. GWX will automatically default to Königsberg until the 1st of September when the 7th Flotilla moves to Kiel.

Just f.y.i here, LSH3-2015 (which does include SH3Commander in the install of it, without having to do so separately...which to Me, is a BIG +++ factor...), also has it included of being able to start as early as GWX does.. and handles the change of flotilla moves too... I know that there is NOT as many ardent supporters for this mega, as there are for GWX... though, it would be grand if there was a mega that took all the best of each out there & merged them into 1 comprehensive mega... ( though, it still remains to be seen just what the anticipated release of LSH3-2020..tentative name association of its pending release sometime this year, by reports.. still to be confirmed yet.. brings to the table, with regards to things SH3 wise, which was mentioned by the creator/lead of it, here:

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...postcount=1393 )

Getting back to the meat of the subject...

SH3Commander is a must have, in My opinion & HIGHLY recommended.

Hope this info, along with others info, helps...

Mad Mardigan

Last edited by Mad Mardigan; 06-13-20 at 01:06 PM.
Old 06-14-20, 10:33 PM   #8
CapZap1970
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post

SS:
Thanks a lot for mentioning that detail... Perhaps there is the node of the whole problem...
I am sent to sea in my first patrol on August 1st, 1939 and I return to Wilhelmshafen 12-15 days later after maneuvering at sea and doing all kinds of exercises. I will extend my first patrol so I return to my home base (Wilhelmshafen) after Sept. 30.
Let's hope this fixes the issue.
That fact of the date never crossed my mind...

Will let you know the results.

CapZap
Old 06-14-20, 10:36 PM   #9
CapZap1970
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post
Just f.y.i here, LSH3-2015 (which does include SH3Commander in the install of it, without having to do so separately...which to Me, is a BIG +++ factor...), also has it included of being able to start as early as GWX does.. and handles the change of flotilla moves too... I know that there is NOT as many ardent supporters for this mega, as there are for GWX... though, it would be grand if there was a mega that took all the best of each out there & merged them into 1 comprehensive mega... ( though, it still remains to be seen just what the anticipated release of LSH3-2020..tentative name association of its pending release sometime this year, by reports.. still to be confirmed yet.. brings to the table, with regards to things SH3 wise, which was mentioned by the creator/lead of it, here:

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...postcount=1393 )

Getting back to the meat of the subject...

SH3Commander is a must have, in My opinion & HIGHLY recommended.

Hope this info, along with others info, helps...

Mad Mardigan

MM, Also, thanks for the advice. I will run SH3 Commander as soon as I am confident everything else will run smoothly. I will give it a try of course to star my 2nd patrol, I guess.

CapZap
Old 06-19-20, 06:55 PM   #10
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

SHO Re: Early war career start... ???

Quote:
MM, Also, thanks for the advice. I will run SH3 Commander as soon as I am confident everything else will run smoothly. I will give it a try of course to star my 2nd patrol, I guess.

CapZap

Wondering if there was any success on the issue resolution or if it still persists...

Since there is ''no'' radio comm chatter, unless otherwise stated, am going to assume sub loss status ( meaning issue resolved, which is a good thing ) unless an sos, goes up the flag... in which case, shall answer that call, as best I can.

Mad Mardigan

Last edited by Mad Mardigan; 06-22-20 at 07:00 PM. Reason: 1.Forgot reply with quote.. 2.Error noticed & corrected... D'Oh.. *pounds desk with face maneuver commencement... now.!*