SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-08-20, 06:44 AM   #16
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
so....playing with the parameters...........

what would happen if i set the RenownAwarded to 5000 and left the PhotoValue at 35?

what would happen if i set the RenownAwarded to 350 and changed the PhotoValue to 100?
The "PhotoValue=" and the "MinPhotoValueThreshold=" are interrelated, but I cannot remember how... divisible by 2? or maybe it was an even divisible of any form... I would have to try to find my old notes for those, which might take a long while (I don't remember which drive they are on, much less which folder they're in), or do more experiments, which would also take a while... For testing purposes, I take those PatrolObjective missions, and add a submarine in just outside of the circle, and then "Save Normal Mission As..." to a Single Mission. That makes it a pinch easier to deal with changing the values. But the ship's Sea folder cfg file "RenownAwarded" also plays in the equations. which is why these foto missions without a given "target" can be so difficult to fulfill. If you have a given target, you can set the values to a known-good value. However, if you or a group of airplanes happen to sink that particular target prior to fulfilling the objective, why you are just out of luck, because it can be most difficult to match the PhotoValue with another ship's RenownAwarded value...

This is why we have a dedicated PhotoTarget in FotRSU, and why lurker made a couple for RSRDC. That way, you can set their RenownAwarded much lower, making the "math" of PhotoValue versus MinPhotoValueThreshold much easier to deal with...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-20, 07:01 PM   #17
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
The "PhotoValue=" and the "MinPhotoValueThreshold=" are interrelated, but I cannot remember how... divisible by 2? or maybe it was an even divisible of any form... I would have to try to find my old notes for those, which might take a long while (I don't remember which drive they are on, much less which folder they're in), or do more experiments, which would also take a while... For testing purposes, I take those PatrolObjective missions, and add a submarine in just outside of the circle, and then "Save Normal Mission As..." to a Single Mission. That makes it a pinch easier to deal with changing the values. But the ship's Sea folder cfg file "RenownAwarded" also plays in the equations. which is why these foto missions without a given "target" can be so difficult to fulfill. If you have a given target, you can set the values to a known-good value. However, if you or a group of airplanes happen to sink that particular target prior to fulfilling the objective, why you are just out of luck, because it can be most difficult to match the PhotoValue with another ship's RenownAwarded value...

This is why we have a dedicated PhotoTarget in FotRSU, and why lurker made a couple for RSRDC. That way, you can set their RenownAwarded much lower, making the "math" of PhotoValue versus MinPhotoValueThreshold much easier to deal with...
first off, thank you for sharing what you know.
and for that i will share what i know.
quid pro quo in its highest form.

i did some testing and i am still not sure of the formula for success with photo missions.
PhotoValue Renown of Ship that triggers success
900 900
4000 40000
2120 40000
212 2120
900 2120
50 3300
50 2200
50 4100
50 150 - Not
50 200 - Not
50 500 - yes

clearly more testing is needed.
OR
someone who has the secret formula needs to come forward so that i don't have to waste time figuring out the secret formula.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-20, 06:52 AM   #18
propbeanie

Quote:
first off, thank you for sharing what you know.
and for that i will share what i know.
quid pro quo in its highest form.

i did some testing and i am still not sure of the formula for success with photo missions.
PhotoValue Renown of Ship that triggers success
900 900
4000 40000
2120 40000
212 2120
900 2120
50 3300
50 2200
50 4100
50 150 - Not
50 200 - Not
50 500 - yes

clearly more testing is needed.
OR
someone who has the secret formula needs to come forward so that i don't have to waste time figuring out the secret formula.
I'll see if I can find my notes somewhere here today, because I found more evidence yesterday of more Photo Missions the US subs did, over and above the fourteen sets of panoramic beach shots, and I have come up with an idea for the "Hollywood" missions, so I'll be digging through a bunch of earlier attempts and hopefully find my notes. The easiest way to "think" of it, is 10% of a given ship's value will work. The only problem with that is the ship itself. If it is sunk, then you might have a bit of trouble finding a ship worth the same amount of points. But that is the only way to have a particular ship as the "target" of the photo (it would be best to have it purposely built with it in the scenario)... When you throw that "threshold" value in there, then you can really mess up what would have been a working PhotoValue. For me, the main frustration is there is no error catching, and no way to know what will happen until you run the scenario... I know there is a post on SubSim here somewhere about the "formulae" to use, but I sure can't find it... I found Beery's old advise of "lock on target, take pictures", but that's it...

Old 07-10-20, 05:59 PM   #19
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
I'll see if I can find my notes somewhere here today, because I found more evidence yesterday of more Photo Missions the US subs did
so, i took the research findings and modified the TMO-version of Photo Honshu 04 to include a big, fat Yamato parked in Hiroshima Harbor.
that way i am guaranteed a photo-target with enough value to satisfy the Objective Requirement.
no way i was going to take a shot at it because i would never have made it back out to the Pacific and thence home. my valiant crew and i are NOT kamikaze's. the photo mission was bad enough. more on that....
since this is a "hollywood" mission and intensely difficult, i decided to award 100,000 renown if i completed the objective and lived to tell the tale. and i did. or rather "we" did.
on the way back to Midway, we took advantage of some opportunities that presented themselves and sank a couple of Nippons, a couple of ConteVerdes, and a Ise (late war) battleship.
it was very disappointing (lol) to return to Midway and receive a Bronze Star for the our efforts.
i think a Presidential Unit Citation was more in order but seriously ......the award logic is definitely effed up.
anyway, i am trying to get psyched up to do more photo objective testing but i am failing.
i think my brain is overheated from the nth-consecutive day of over-90 temps we have had.

LAA enabled
Old 07-12-20, 10:00 PM   #20
propbeanie

... and I still have not found my old notes... I am trying to re-do photo-op missions, and really do want to find my notes... life would be so much easier if I did.

Old 07-13-20, 09:19 AM   #21
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
... and I still have not found my old notes... I am trying to re-do photo-op missions, and really do want to find my notes... life would be so much easier if I did.
for which mod-set are you trying to re-do Photo Op missions?

LAA enabled
Old 07-21-20, 10:58 AM   #22
propbeanie

OK, attempting to add some variety into the photo recons of FotRSU, the initial re-activation will not involve having to go inside of any harbors - unless of course, the player wants to... but anyway, as a test, I took a Yamashiro, which is worth 600 renown points, and a Shoho, which is worth 300 (should be the other way around, but oh well for now). Ten percent of their total of 900 renown points is 90. I want a player to have to take a picture of each vessel. So here is the "set-up" in the test mission:

It seems to me that they mis-labeled the boxes for "Photo Value" and "Minimum photo value threshold", but oh well. It is what it is... In the meantime, in the mission, picture one:

and picture two:

and the Photo Objective is completed... More experimenting forthcoming.

Old 07-21-20, 03:39 PM   #23
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
OK, attempting to add some variety into the photo recons of FotRSU, the initial re-activation will not involve having to go inside of any harbors - unless of course, the player wants to... but anyway, as a test, I took a Yamashiro, which is worth 600 renown points, and a Shoho, which is worth 300 (should be the other way around, but oh well for now). Ten percent of their total of 900 renown points is 90. I want a player to have to take a picture of each vessel. So here is the "set-up" in the test mission:

It seems to me that they mis-labeled the boxes for "Photo Value" and "Minimum photo value threshold", but oh well. It is what it is... In the meantime, in the mission, picture one:
and picture two:
and the Photo Objective is completed... More experimenting forthcoming.
sounds reasonable.
do you want some help?

LAA enabled
Old 07-22-20, 09:55 PM   #24
propbeanie

If I can get a "stable" PhotoTarget that doesn't give itself away with sonar lines... sure... lol - but that's been the hold-up with the "panoramic" photo recon missions. I don't want the player inundated with 60 sonar lines, and miss that one important DD line...

Old 07-23-20, 11:16 AM   #25
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
If I can get a "stable" PhotoTarget that doesn't give itself away with sonar lines... sure... lol - but that's been the hold-up with the "panoramic" photo recon missions. I don't want the player inundated with 60 sonar lines, and miss that one important DD line...
you lost me there.

i was volunteering to help re-do the Hollywood-photo missions by placing a strategic ship into the mission. your response went over my head.

LAA enabled
Old 08-07-20, 10:41 AM   #26
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Hello,

received an error message while launching the ME: DD Minekaze not found in Platforms Library

what/where is the "platforms library"?
  • Sea folder
  • Roster folder
  • Names.cfg

i've checked all of the above and the Minekaze is present so the issue must be something else.
Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[C:\Ubisoft\TMO_2_5\MODS]

100 TriggerMaru_Overhaul_2-5
101 1.5_Optical Targeting Correction 031312 for TMO 2.5
102 1.5_OTC for 16 to 9 Aspect Ratio_TMO
103 TMO_25_small_patch
104 EZ Plot V2.0
300 RSRDC_RFB_V575
301 RSRDC_V5xx_Patch1
400 Webster's Eliminate Floating Plankton for v1.4 and v1.5

Typically, that means it is missing from the Roster folder or the Sea folder. Also make sure the DDMinekaze is listed Also, been a few but believe your mods should be

TMO
TMO small patch
RSRD
RSRD patch. If i recall, with few or even no exceptions, RSRD must always come after TMO when using to together.Failure to activate mods in proper order will cause conflicts. A basic DD like Minekaze should be present.Deactivate mods, delete the SH 4 folder in the documents folder. Reactivate and try again in proper order, once verify the minekaze is in the roster or sea folders and names .cfg.

I downloaded a fresh version of RSRD was told was missing the rufe floatplane, which was strange to me since RSRD is one that introduced it. Think the RSRD upload could be corrupted possibly?
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-20, 10:39 AM   #27
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Default Quo Vadis after May 30,1943

i was noodling through Flotillas.upc with the date of 5/3/43 when i noticed that my boat (Gar-class) has an end date of 5/30/43 and no transfer options.
what happens to my boat and gallant crew after 5/30/43?
[Flotilla 3.UserPlayerUnitType 6]
ID= F3Gar
NameDisplayable= Gar class
AvailabilityInterval= 1942-10-01, 1943-05-30
IDLinkUserPlayerUnitType= Gar
UnitTypeCommonality= 2
IDFlotillaLinkTransferTo= NULL

LAA enabled
Old 08-26-20, 01:34 PM   #28
propbeanie

... if there is another boat there, you will "upgrade" to that. So it would have to be a Gato or "higher"... if there are no boats available, you are retired - I think... Flotilla 3 is Brisbane though, and if you're using RSRDC on top of TMO, the base gets transferred...

Old 08-26-20, 02:03 PM   #29
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
... if there is another boat there, you will "upgrade" to that. So it would have to be a Gato or "higher"... if there are no boats available, you are retired - I think... Flotilla 3 is Brisbane though, and if you're using RSRDC on top of TMO, the base gets transferred...
thanks.

i am playing RSRD over TMO.

the base (brisbane) does not move (milne bay, wherever that is) until October '43, which leaves just upgrade or retirement, which is odd because Gar-class was/were used throughout the entire war.

i will let it play out and see what happens. my next mission starts 6/2/43 which is after the expiration date of the Gar at this location (see above). More to come......

LAA enabled
Old 08-26-20, 05:32 PM   #30
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
completed the 6/2/43 mission.
the USN mothballed my boat (mistake) and mothballed me at the same time.
well, now we know what happens in this situation when a boat has an end date and is not transferred to base that accepts them.
we should fix this as i mentioned previously, Gars served for the duration. i just changed the Flotillas dates to the end of the war for Sargo, Salmon, Tambor, and Gar, all homeported at Brisbane. i left the S-boats and Gato alone.
i have not looked at the other bases for similar issues.

LAA enabled