SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-12-19, 10:13 PM   #16
Kptlt. Neuerburg
Admiral

Downloads: 54
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
Sort of good news, but windows 10!!
You're telling me! That's because AMD AM4 chipsets no longer support Enhanced Host Controller Interface which long story short if you're going to use Win 7 you have to install a patch otherwise it won't recognize the USB ports, Win 10 while I think it is a far, far, far worse OS then even Vista it doesn't have this problem.
Old 08-16-19, 06:11 PM   #17
Kptlt. Neuerburg
Admiral

Well I bit the bullet today and bought Windows 10 and installed it. So far everything is working as it should be. I have not tested any of my games yet but they should work fine, should being the key word here.
Old 10-08-19, 02:48 AM   #18
ColinCejay
Swabbie

Location: Mid North of South Australia... at least 50 klms from the water.
Downloads: 0
Default Re updating or building new PC

Hi
I recently built a new Pc my last one was over 10 years old, running W7 Pro. Issues I have found with the new version was the need to have an operating system that worked with UEFI.
I tried for days to get my older sims to run on my new system but now all is well with the world.

BTW the CMOS clear is actually the button not many of the upspec MBs have the jumper now, mine also has the clear CMOS button.

Regards
ColinCejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-19, 07:46 PM   #19
Kptlt. Neuerburg
Admiral

Well as the saying goes "One step forward, two steps back", in this case it's it's about 100 steps back. This morning after owning this motherboard for all of four months it crapped out for no apparent reason. It had worked fine for the four months I've owned it after figuring out most of the problems it had until this morning. While I was in the middle of working on something the computer froze, I tried control, alt, delete and the computed didn't respond so I hit the reset button on my computer case that didn't work so I had to shut off the power using the on/off switch at the back of the PSU. Simply restarting it did nothing so I spent at least four hours taking it all apart and putting back together again and it worked for about 15 minutes or so the restarted with no warning. Then after starting up again it ran for about 30 minutes before it rebooted again but failed to post. After attempting some more tests and fixes nothing worked although strangely in the last out of case test I did with just the 24-pin cable and CPU installed (and NOTHING else) the case fans stated up! I didn't think that was possible.

Last edited by Kptlt. Neuerburg; 11-06-19 at 09:12 PM.
Kptlt. Neuerburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-19, 05:41 AM   #20
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

Try pulling it all apart and spraying all electrical contacts, sockets etc with Electrical circuit board cleaner:
https://www.jaycar.com.au/electronic...y-can/p/NA1008
Amazing stuff.

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote