SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-03-22, 03:46 AM   #1
M6JZO
Swabbie

Downloads: 360
Uploads: 0
Default Unclear periscope optics

Morning, fellow captains.
I have started getting unclear optics when using periscope. I wiped system reinstalled SH3, I start a patrol and there are no problems. Once I submerge to periscope depth, or deeper then after this always unclear, UZO is fine. Any idea guys where abouts in SH3 to look and fix this problem?
Thank-you in advance, keep sinking um Frank
M6JZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-22, 04:39 AM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Is the periscope view obscured by water? Are you in bad weather? If so, you might have to come up a meter or two in depth to clear the wave tops with your optics. Or are you attempting to use the periscope at "high" speed and have the h.sie and/or Stiebler realism patches enabled on the SH3.exe file? If so, slow down to Ahead One Third and try looking through the scope.

In situations like this, when you have troubles, a picture is worth a thousand words. A screen grab posted on an image site and linked here would help immensely in a "diagnosis" for you. Listing any mods you might have activated, or stating if you are using just the Stock game is also helpful.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-22, 08:47 AM   #3
M6JZO
Swabbie

Hi probeanie.
No perfect weather and to be sure I raised the boat a couple of feet. I also get it when I surfaced the boat. I've just whipped it again this time I will patch all before I get started. Thanks for your suggestion if it starts again when I start my patrol I will do as you sure and get back to the thread.
Cheers for now, sink em all frank
Old 10-04-22, 06:23 AM   #4
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

If you still have issues, when you post back be sure and provide your mod list, if you are using any. I know in SH4, you can have a damaged periscope after an enemy attack, and sometimes (not often) instead of having a disabled periscope, you can raise and lower it, and sometimes look through it, but it'll usually spin uselessly or fall back down while trying to use it. I do not recall encountering that in SH3 though...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-22, 07:13 PM   #5
Andrewsdad
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 80

A couple of thoughts....
If your boat is moving faster than about 3 or 4 knots submerged, the view will be fouled by vibration. Have you checked the view at slow ahead ?

I think some mods also foul the view surfaced at high speed too.

Also.. I have had a periscope optics fail due to "sabotage and malfunction". The only solution is to go back to port for repair. I always do a test dive shortly after leaving port to check both scopes, engines, motors etc..

Good Luck !
AD
Andrewsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-22, 02:01 AM   #6
Krolm
Watch

Downloads: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6JZO View Post
Morning, fellow captains.
I have started getting unclear optics when using periscope. I wiped system reinstalled SH3, I start a patrol and there are no problems. Once I submerge to periscope depth, or deeper then after this always unclear, UZO is fine. Any idea guys where abouts in SH3 to look and fix this problem?
Thank-you in advance, keep sinking um Frank
How fast is your boat moving when submerged, what the weather like ? Hit Ctrl+W for a weather report. are you using V161b realism patch?

If the weather is bad then you ll barely see (you can see visibility details in the weather report, if it says visibility minimum/no visibility best to stay submerged and listen than hunt)

If your boat is moving faster than 2/3 knots then the periscope will start to vibrate, i believe these 'vibrations' are simulated by blurring the view.

Krolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-22, 10:41 AM   #7
M6JZO
Swabbie

Hi, to be honest I didn't really check and it's ok now for some reason. The last time I whipped it out I cleared the PC just in case I pick up a bug. Anyhow I put SH 3 in, I thought I'd try LSH22 and it's great.
thank you all for your help frank