SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-11-13, 07:52 PM   #31
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

I realised that you can note several cars being more or less suited for the various tracks. The Ferrari does very well at Imola and Vallelunga, but I found it very difficult to use at Silverstone.

The Z4 is a great choice for Maggione.

The BMW GT2 is a killer. There at the latest you notice the difference between street cars and racing machines. I enjoy the other BMWs, the Lotus and the Ferrari more.
Old 11-12-13, 07:01 PM   #32
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Downloads: 76

The Lotus 49 is perfect for Monza '66. I love it.

1:33.804 is my fastest so far

Still struggling not to clip the armco at Lesmo though, and usually a wheel or two touching the gravel at Parabolica.

Last edited by Herr-Berbunch; 11-13-13 at 08:47 AM. Reason: Changed the track name because I'm an idiot!
Herr-Berbunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-13, 08:09 PM   #33
Skybird
Soaring

Yes, I did some one-mid-thirties there, too. But i do not drive it much, the Lotus 49 I mean.

Ever tried to switch off Blur? IMO the game looks much better without it. They say it also consumes quite some calculation power. Even HDR is not needed, but some lights on some cars seem to work erratical then.

This is as much BMW as BMW goes:

Hm. Should have posted them in this thread from all beginning on, maybe, instead of the other thread. But well, no damage done.

Old 11-13-13, 03:27 AM   #34
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Jeez, do you not sleep?

I do have HDR and blur off, that was just a little p'shopped.

In the 49, at Monza, I can reach 180 mph, same track in the F. Abarth I really struggle to hit mid-150s, the cornering isn't as much fun either.

Last edited by Herr-Berbunch; 11-13-13 at 08:46 AM. Reason: Changed the track name because I'm an idiot!
Herr-Berbunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-13, 07:22 AM   #35
Lionclaw
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 5

Formula Abarth is one of the first steps for karting drivers who want to step up to the next level. So it's not really a fast car.
Lionclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-13, 07:55 AM   #36
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

You're right! I didn't know that, I thought it was just a 'can't afford the license to run F1 cars so we'll do a generic copy'.
Old 11-14-13, 08:14 AM   #37
Skybird
Soaring

Two comparisons in one: the track is Vallelunga, the car is the Formula Abarth.

I love the comment left by a staff member of Kunos, replying to people complaining the Formula Abarth being "arcadish" and simulating too much grip and false physics. He said in the Kunos forum:

Guys, we have "THE" formula Abarth, 20 meters under our offices several times every year. We use AC one to prepare newbies and to train veteran drivers. We had access to any kind of data that exist, and the telemetry (at vallelunga, same track) says that our DOES it on the same way: second gear, full throttle, no dangers, full grip...
Laptimes are difficult to compare. Before driving the real one, Instructors brainwash drivers on how much does cost to even scratch one, how much to bend a suspension arm ecc ecc
But you don't know how many times we could literally overlap telemetries...
You have to live with it.

Old 11-14-13, 04:40 PM   #38
Skybird
Soaring

This is a video from one year ago. It is a demonstration of the AI's state that it was in back then. I assume since then they have not started to walk backward, so - extremely promising!

Old 11-14-13, 07:52 PM   #39
Skybird
Soaring

AC has been No.2 best-selling game on Steam throughout the week just behind Call of Duty: Ghosts, and No. 1 best-seeling racing simulation/game.

Kunos Simulazioni meanwhile announced next update (they shall be released every two weeks) will be on Friday 22th, and it will include two new tracks and 3 new cars.

Some time got killed:

Old 11-14-13, 09:32 PM   #40
Kptlt. Neuerburg
Admiral

Downloads: 54

Oh boy this is a tough one for me, I've been looking at this and WRC 4. Both of these games are the same price right now, both have my favorite forms of motorsport, both have a great selection of cars and tracks. So I don't know weather or not to get both games now, or get one now and wait from the other to go on sale, or if/when both go on sale to get 'em then. Granted the price for AC will at least double when it hits v1.0, so I don't want to wait too long.
Old 11-15-13, 03:12 AM   #41
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

AC is currently discounted by 22% so the price won't double. I'd get one and wait for the other to be discounted but if you want and can afford both then do that.

I just did a couple of dozen laps in the Lotus 49 and the M3 GT2 then made the mistake of a quick blast in Grid 2. AC is so much better (mind you, graphics aside, Grid is also better than Grid 2). Get your lap records done before MP and AI are introduced!
Old 11-15-13, 03:56 AM   #42
Lionclaw
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 5

I wonder what their plans are with telemetry. As it is now, there's not really all that much information. Just speed, throttle and brake pedal position, and gear.

It would be nice to have suspension telemetry to see if the car is bottoming out, hitting the tarmac
Lionclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-13, 05:22 AM   #43
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Isn't that what FFB is for?

Anyone here know what the .DDS settings should be for saving a new skin? I stuck a police livery on the GT2 template but it's not showing in-game.
Old 11-15-13, 05:48 AM   #44
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kptlt. Hellmut Neuerburg View Post
Oh boy this is a tough one for me, I've been looking at this and WRC 4. Both of these games are the same price right now, both have my favorite forms of motorsport, both have a great selection of cars and tracks. So I don't know weather or not to get both games now, or get one now and wait from the other to go on sale, or if/when both go on sale to get 'em then. Granted the price for AC will at least double when it hits v1.0, so I don't want to wait too long.
I just looked up WRC4, and found three German reviews, all of them rating it mediocre only - while not directly comparing it to AC. I am pretty confident that AC sinks WRC4 both in the visual and driving department. The videos I saw on WRC also do not convince me. And I could swear the tracks are somewhat repetitive, in parts.

Last rally sim I used was Richard Burns. Now AC makes me think of RBR as tiny toy cars made by Matchbox, being thrown around on the carpet. And I once belonged to those hailing RBR's physics!

What I mean is this: you want AC first!

Old 11-15-13, 06:12 AM   #45
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Metacritic gives WRC4 61% from the critics and 5.6/10 (surely that's 56%? Why not use the same?) from the users.

AC is still to receive a critic's review but has 9.1 from the users, and it's only early access beta at the moment.

If that helps you?