SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-26-23, 11:56 AM   #1366
Nilus11
Swabbie

Downloads: 101
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
there is a "gameplay" option to negate the "dud" torpedoes but i do not think that the option negates the bad gyros, or the running deep, or the circle runners.

to cure all of the issues, you would need a small mod made for TMO_BH that specifically modifies all of the torpedo defects.

it has been done.
Oh I know how to modify all the torpedo defects in Torpedoes_US.sim, I was just wondering if there was a way to mitigate them in game instead of modifying the files. I took a peek in there and found that the premature detonation/depth keeping problems are mostly solved by mid-1943, leaving the faulty contact detonators as the main problem until late 1943. So I'll just suck it up till then, like the actual skippers had to do. That's when you know you've got a real good simulation: not only are the highs represented, but the lows too! After effortlessly sinking hundreds of thousands of tons in vanilla, getting even five digit ton patrols in this mod is far more rewarding.
Nilus11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-23, 01:06 PM   #1367
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilus11 View Post
Oh I know how to modify all the torpedo defects in Torpedoes_US.sim, I was just wondering if there was a way to mitigate them in game instead of modifying the files. I took a peek in there and found that the premature detonation/depth keeping problems are mostly solved by mid-1943, leaving the faulty contact detonators as the main problem until late 1943. So I'll just suck it up till then, like the actual skippers had to do. That's when you know you've got a real good simulation: not only are the highs represented, but the lows too! After effortlessly sinking hundreds of thousands of tons in vanilla, getting even five digit ton patrols in this mod is far more rewarding.
well, then, good luck with the verdampt torpedoes, Herr Kaleun!

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is online   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-23, 12:07 AM   #1368
Nilus11
Swabbie

Downloads: 101

Another question about duds, are they more likely when targeting warships than merchants? Because in spite of them, I've witnessed a decent number of successful impacts against merchants, while I've fired dozens of torpedoes at warships by now and all of them have been duds. In both cases I only use contact pistols. What's confusing in the torpedoes.sim file is the dud chance based on the torpedo's angle of impact - before it's fixed in late 1943, it apparently has a 99% dud chance with an impact angle between 41 and 110 degrees. If that were the case, I would expect close to zero successful impacts as all of my attacks have been conducted between those angles, but I've still had my fair share of merchant kills.
Nilus11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-23, 09:05 AM   #1369
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilus11 View Post
Another question about duds, are they more likely when targeting warships than merchants? Because in spite of them, I've witnessed a decent number of successful impacts against merchants, while I've fired dozens of torpedoes at warships by now and all of them have been duds. In both cases I only use contact pistols. What's confusing in the torpedoes.sim file is the dud chance based on the torpedo's angle of impact - before it's fixed in late 1943, it apparently has a 99% dud chance with an impact angle between 41 and 110 degrees. If that were the case, I would expect close to zero successful impacts as all of my attacks have been conducted between those angles, but I've still had my fair share of merchant kills.

the type of ship makes no difference in the performance of the exploder.
with your hit rate using your angle of attack, i would buy a lottery ticket.

LAA enabled
Old 04-06-23, 08:38 AM   #1370
Laffertytig
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 110

Hello. I've not played SH4 in a few years and getting that itch again. I've been looking into this mod and checking back through the thread i see there seems to be a fair few ctd issues.

Are these issues maybe being caused by people adding mods on top of tmo (mod soup) or is the mod itself just not very stable?

I'm going be running SH4 on a 70inch wide screen tv and windows 11. Am i going to run into any issues with the resolution?
Laffertytig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-23, 11:51 AM   #1371
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laffertytig View Post
Hello. I've not played SH4 in a few years and getting that itch again. I've been looking into this mod and checking back through the thread i see there seems to be a fair few ctd issues.

Are these issues maybe being caused by people adding mods on top of tmo (mod soup) or is the mod itself just not very stable?

I'm going be running SH4 on a 70inch wide screen tv and windows 11. Am i going to run into any issues with the resolution?
TMO 2.5 ala Ducimus and Capn Scurvy is pretty stable. you can play it with or without the RSRD add-on. Also, there are many, many supplementary mods for SH4. when you play TMO 2.5 make sure that you use mods created specifically for TMO 2.5.

TMO ala Bubblehead1980 is an offshoot of TMO 2.5 and the two are not compatible. if you play TMO_BH, you need to use mods made specifically for TMO_BH. one personal comment: i have run into quite a few different CTD's playing this mega-mod. while i enjoyed some of the improvements BH has made, the CTD's were frustrating...for me. others have not had the same experience.

will there be problems with playing SH4 under Win11 and on a 70 inch TV?
probably.
the highest resolution in the game settings is 1910x1080(?) 60 hz. i may be off a bit but i am not at my home PC. so, with that res on a 70 inch monitor, you may see things not seen when using a 23 or 27 inch monitor.
as for Win11, check out the Win11 threads to read what others have experienced and how they resolved their issues.

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=250953
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=249934
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...87&postcount=8
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...97&postcount=1

LAA enabled
Old 04-06-23, 04:06 PM   #1372
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

My computer and SH4 can do 4k, but everything is WAY too small to be usable. 2k isn't so bad, but then after exiting the game, any other windows open at the time will then re-size to twice what they were... also frustrating. There are 4:3, 5:4 and 16:9 proportions available in the game, but other aspects will distort. A 70 inch television on HDMI will give you a good sized image at 1920x1080, but one thing to remember about the TV as opposed to a computer display is the "borders" regions, top, bottom, left & right, and that you will lose screen real estate, and most likely some important aspects, such as the pull-out targeting parts on the periscope and TBT screen, as well as time compression and the clock in the lower right of the screen. That is probably the most irritating aspect of using a TV for your game display, unless you can re-size and or "window" the display, which none of the tellies will do that.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-23, 10:55 PM   #1373
Jeffg
Exec

Downloads: 1484
Default Install Issue

I am installing TriggerMaru_Overhaul_2-5_UpdateBHand in the req modes you have listed NavMapmakeoverTMOupdatePatch (Required-Included) but it is not in the files. there is the make over update but not the patch. Where can I find the patch as I am trying to isstall the mods as you have listed in order?

Jeffg
Old 04-08-23, 10:03 AM   #1374
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffg View Post
I am installing TriggerMaru_Overhaul_2-5_UpdateBHand in the req modes you have listed NavMapmakeoverTMOupdatePatch (Required-Included) but it is not in the files. there is the make over update but not the patch. Where can I find the patch as I am trying to isstall the mods as you have listed in order?

Jeffg
there are subfolders in the TMO_BH zip file. the patch is one of those subfolders.

LAA enabled
Old 04-08-23, 10:27 AM   #1375
Jeffg
Exec

Downloads: 1484

Thanks, was just about to reply as I just found the patch.Thanks again

Jeffg
Old 04-10-23, 04:56 AM   #1376
Laffertytig
Grey Wolf

It's been ages since i've done any SH modding so forgive me for maybe asking the obvious here but i remember the exe file had to be modded before with some application to help with memory issues and other bugs (or was that just with SH3?)

i don't see any mention of that on the installation instructions on page 1 of this thread. Is that stuff not required any more?
Old 04-10-23, 10:13 AM   #1377
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
It's been ages since i've done any SH modding so forgive me for maybe asking the obvious here but i remember the exe file had to be modded before with some application to help with memory issues and other bugs (or was that just with SH3?)

i don't see any mention of that on the installation instructions on page 1 of this thread. Is that stuff not required any more?
jumping in here....

it is strongly recommended that a player uses a 4GB enabler such as Large Address Aware (LAA) with any installation of SH4, even Stock.
look in the MODS Forum here and you will find it.
Good Luck!

LAA enabled
Old 04-11-23, 04:48 AM   #1378
Laffertytig
Grey Wolf

Do i need the 4gb enabler if i'm running windows 11 64 bit? On the download page it seems to suggest i don't.
Old 04-11-23, 10:28 AM   #1379
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Do i need the 4gb enabler if i'm running windows 11 64 bit? On the download page it seems to suggest i don't.
it is strongly recommended that a player uses a 4GB enabler such as Large Address Aware (LAA) with any installation of SH4, even Stock.

Win11, Win10, Win7 makes no difference to SH4. it was designed under Win-XP and the designers never considered using more than 1 or 2 GB of memory. the 4GB utility enables the use of more memory during play which SH4 dearly needs.

LAA enabled
Old 04-11-23, 11:24 AM   #1380
Laffertytig
Grey Wolf

Cool just wanted to confirm that

Cheers