SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-22-13, 07:12 PM   #76
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Only little issue that angers me a bit is that they have prevented the lap-inavlaidator workaround to work. I can edit both race.cfg files in MyDocuemnts and in Steam's application folder to "-1" when checking againm after having launched the game, they both are back to "2". So they have made the penalty model that in the community'S opinion is the worst of all possibilities the mandatory one. First really bad choice of theirs.

The Lotus car - like the other two modern Lotusses, I will not become close friend with this one.

The two other real fast new cars are great, on the other hand. So are the imroved FFB effects and new paint jobs on many cars. Why they killed some of the old ones, escapes me, however. Maybe, hopefully just temporary.

The drift circus I could live without. Drift stunts just are not my cup of tea.

But Mugello - that is a darling track, really. Fantastic job they did there, absolutely outstanding. The laser scanning pays off, you feel every hole and every bump there. I compared it to videos from real time onboard footage - they marked all visual details right on target sites. I now can just dream of Spa and Nürburg.

Awesome simulation. Best driving feeling and car immersion there is.
Old 11-22-13, 08:02 PM   #77
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Downloads: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Only little issue that angers me a bit is that they have prevented the lap-inavlaidator workaround to work. I can edit both race.cfg files in MyDocuemnts and in Steam's application folder to "-1" when checking againm after having launched the game, they both are back to "2". So they have made the penalty model that in the community'S opinion is the worst of all possibilities the mandatory one. First really bad choice of theirs.
Alt-Tab out the game, set it to -1 and go back in. Worked for me but I didn't restart the game. I agree it's a bad choice on their part.

Quote:
The Lotus car - like the other two modern Lotusses, I will not become close friend with this one.
It's perfect for the drift circuit, I know you're not a drifting fan (and not being Japanese or a Saudi nor am I) but it's what's expected in a modern car game.

Quote:
The two other real fast new cars are great, on the other hand. So are the imroved FFB effects and new paint jobs on many cars. Why they killed some of the old ones, escapes me, however. Maybe, hopefully just temporary.
I haven't seen all the other cars yet, just the new ones and the Lotus (no change) and black E30/92s.

Quote:
The drift circus I could live without. Drift stunts just are not my cup of tea.
It suckered me in. I tried it and then got hooked on the 'I could obviously do a better score than that'. And I did. The only downside is the lack of definition of the track - there's turns everywhere but no set route.

Quote:
But Mugello - that is a darling track, really. Fantastic job they did there, absolutely outstanding. The laser scanning pays off, you feel every hole and every bump there. I compared it to videos from real time onboard footage - they marked all visual details right on target sites. I now can just dream of Spa and Nürburg.

Awesome simulation. Best driving feeling and car immersion there is.
Spa and Nordshleife are the two everyone wants (and I want Circuit de la Sarthe (le Mans)). If they are making people (who don't buy now) buy Spa then Nordshleife will definitely be DLC and not bundled with original game, but a DLC well worth it I think.
Old 11-23-13, 06:06 AM   #78
Skybird
Soaring

Different to my initial belief, the full Nordsschleife currently does not seem to be on their radar. We get the Nürburg GP. Another track I know inside out and like to race on.

And here is some very nice and competent feedback by a real race driver, retired, who has owned several Lotus models himself and still owes one, and comparing their driving characteristics and his times at Silverstone with the virtual pendants. And he says they nailed it exactly. I may not love the Lotus rubber-feeling (it is do fluffy and non-linear for my taste, I like it more direct and straight), but they seem to have replicated the Lotus physics precisely.

http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/in...eal-life.2652/

They have locked their forums again,registration needed (stupid, costs them some potentially interested customers for sure), so here it is:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Manser, AC forums
I thought some people might be interested in my initial thoughts on the new AC update's Lotus 2-Eleven, as I'm a former racing driver who now owns a 2-Eleven for track days and road use here in the UK. I've just done 15 laps on the sim:

I've just tried the 2-Eleven on AC at the track I last drove in it in real life, Silverstone International, and have just compared my replay from just now in Assetto Corsa with some in-car laps from the real track in my 2-Eleven that I filmed a couple of months ago (link below). Here are my thoughts:

Initially it felt 80-85% of the way there, but with a more stable back end (see the constant mid-corner correction required in the above video, although the rear tyres were over-heating in that clip) and slightly less weight transfer effects - the slides didn't get nasty as quickly as they do in the real car and the rear seemed a bit more stable. Then I reduced the rear wing to 6 degrees (the track only version presumably modelled in the sim has an adjustable rear wing, whereas my road version doesn't) and I took the front ARB down a notch to position 2 (I actually run full stiffness at the front in real life, but I noticed the sim has 4 positions, so maybe the track car has a different front ARB?). Now with those settings it feels very similar indeed to my 2-Eleven, and in the video/replay comparison it looks spookily similar. Lap times are about a second different (normally I'm about a second quicker in real life when I've done this sort of comparison before, due to the feel element, but this time it was the other way round- best lap in real life was a 1:16, whereas just now I did a 1:15), however it was my first ever time on the layout when I drove it back then and only my second trackday in the car and on AC I've been practising a fair bit at the circuit lately, so I'd say the lap times are bang on - if I went back in my real car I think I know where I could gain time and I think a 1:15 is doable straight away, and probably down into the 14s with time (same for the sim - I just did 15 laps). The real car has fully adjustable dampers all round (rebound and comp), which sadly isn't available in Assetto Corsa (a chink in the realism there - are the development team reading this? I can provide details if necessary); I'd also like to try increasing the damping at the rear end a bit (which is what I do to mine for trackdays, as per Lotus' recommendation), and I think it'd be 100% there then. Incidentally, the geo settings are exactly as per Lotus' recommendation in real life, which is nice, although strangely by default the car in the sim was showing assymetrical front geo numbers, even though the sliders looked the same - is that a bug? Oh, and the 2-Eleven doesn't sound quite as nice with the standard road exhaust compared to my motorsport one(the video above doesn't show it well cause I am running the cameras internal mic sealed up to stop it overloading on wind noise - a home grown ext mic mod is on the way), but I think that's the same as real life too actually; many owners have changed their exhausts from standard.

We need a setting for the seating position too - I'm about 6 inches shorter in the body than the sim driver must be (I look partly through the aeroscreen in real life) and I have the seat much further back cause of my long legs.

All in all, pretty good though, I'm very impressed!

Oh, and the 3D model is also bang on, right down to the stickers and plaque etc in the cockpit - nice work!

[...]

By the way, I had an Elise for eight years before the 2-Eleven and have driven pretty much every variant of that and the Exige. Both are extremely good in the sim - a really fantastic job in terms of realism.
Old 11-23-13, 09:06 AM   #79
Skybird
Soaring

Unbelievably well-done onboard video, a realistically looking live cam. Witness the Zonda onboard at Mugello. This is one of the best racing videos I have ever seen - it is so very easy to get tricked by its looks, you mistake this so quickly for reality!

Old 11-23-13, 10:26 AM   #80
Skybird
Soaring

Two more videos, comparing virtuality with reality.

The 2-11 at Silverstone.

Mugello:

And this one shows the fictional track, Drift Circus:

If only I knew how they do it. I just don't get it.

Last edited by Skybird; 11-23-13 at 11:05 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-13, 05:32 PM   #81
Lionclaw
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 5

The Lotus 2-Eleven is quite a fun car to drive. Need to be careful not to be too abrupt with the controls though.

P4/5, very grippy car. At least on Mugello, turn 8 through 9 can almost be taken in full throttle in 5th gear. Pretty easy to drive, at least compared to the Zonda.

Zonda. A proper GT car.

Lotus 49 on Mugello. Now there's a fun track to drive that car on.
Lionclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-13, 05:53 PM   #82
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionclaw View Post
P4/5, very grippy car. At least on Mugello, turn 8 through 9 can almost be taken in full throttle in 5th gear. Pretty easy to drive, at least compared to the Zonda.
It's the only thing I can take near flat out at Abbey (turn one), Silverstone. I thought it would be a very difficult car to tame, but I was wrong, fortunately. It's also quite good at Vallelunga.
Old 11-24-13, 01:55 PM   #83
Skybird
Soaring

Do these people know no weekend or family life? X Rebirth two patches yesterday, one today - it's Sunday today, and Kunos Teams bring a 20+ MB update, too. And not even needing to hotfix some showstopping issue - nothing that could not have waited until Monday.

"Gute Männer musste haben!"
Old 11-26-13, 10:04 AM   #84
Skybird
Soaring

Some modders don't loose time. This is the Shelby Daytona moved from netKart Pro into Assetto Corsa.

Drive with a swing, babe, always with a swing...
Old 11-26-13, 04:39 PM   #85
Skybird
Soaring

http://www.bsimracing.com/assetto-co...-preview/#2123

Kunos Simulazioni showed screenshots confirming that they are implementing NEW car body shaders As if I could have imagined the cars to be able to look any better! Car reflections in various times of day get improved.

It is also confirmed they plan to release the next update, which should push it to version 0.3 then I think, on Friday, Decembre 6th.

Question for those who have tried the P4/5 Competizione:

(which in reality has a regular street license in the US and thus drives with a number plate from the state of New York ) - I do not know anything about these car classes, and this car, but I witness the virtual driver showing very little arms movement in the car even at slow speeds and in 2nd and 1st. This leads to the car having a huge turn radius, forbidding it for at least one of the tracks, Vallelunga, because it cannot manage to take the 15th turn there, which is the tightest of the whole track. Is this as designed, does this car need track with wide turns and is forbidden with others - or is it having a problem with accepting steering input from my steering wheel which works perfectly with the other cars, I point out).? I am irritated that the virtual driver has so little movement in his arms in this car. I asked in the Kunos forums, but got no consistent replies. There others reported difficulties at Mugello, and that the car does not turn well there, too, especially when being not fast enough and looses mechanical grip due to lacking downforce. However, my virtual driver should at least nevertheless turn the wheel to the maximum he can - and the the rest is understeer effect and the car not turning due to understeer. But if the driver does not turn the wheel, it is no understeer effect, obviously. - Try it yourself in an unmodified P4/5, at Vallelunga, and report what you get at the hairpin, turn 15. Your nose should bite into the grass wall almost every time. Realistic with that kind of car?

Last edited by Skybird; 11-26-13 at 04:50 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-13, 05:49 PM   #86
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

I can get round it, 1st gear - 30 mph. Then next time I can't, same gear and speed but it really must be all to do with entry - I start far right and cut in but sometimes it does sometimes it doesn't. My first five or six laps were with absolutely no driving aids at all (left over from a Steam achievement) and I could get round that corner better than with with stability (but nothing else) on 100%. You're right about minimal hand movement on the wheel.

Lap times were good in this too, green after green.
Old 11-26-13, 05:51 PM   #87
Lionclaw
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 5

What steering wheel do you have?

I had no problems with the P4/5 at Vallelunga. Hairpin at 2nd gear, 50-60 km/h.

Did a laptime of 1:38.280.

I have a Logitech G25. It has 900* rotation. I have to change the rotation depending on which car I'm driving.

900 for production cars.
600 for BMW GT2, and Pagani Zonda.
400 for P4/5, Lotus 49, and Formula Abarth car.

Somewhere in the options ingame you can set wheel rotation, don't know what it does really. Might want to check that out.

I set my rotation value via devices thingy in the control panel in Windows.
Lionclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-13, 06:09 PM   #88
Skybird
Soaring

I use a Ferrari 430 wheel with 240° hardware rotation.

I set that number manually in the options, therefore.

When trying the setup magician, it's automatic calibration led to a value of 245° also.

I use no hardware setup software for this wheel, but mapped the commands to its buttons directly from the sim. It's no HOTAS, and much more comfortable this way, since the number of key commands is very limited.

It is my understanding that you should not need to change that setting for every car, though it can (or should) be that there is a regular mechanical option for that in the box setup menu, like you have in formula 1 cars for example (what is it called like? steering lock, or something like that). In the sim'S generla menu, that setting is a principle hardware recognition value that you should need to adjust just once. The sim should over- or undercompensate hardware input according to the car's feature all by itself, depending on that value you entered.

when I turn my wheel and watch the virtual wheel moving, same hardware angle therefore translates into various virtual wheel angles indeed. In the P4/5, I have the 400° rotation that car should have only when it sits still, and when I turn the full 120° of the hardware wheel. As soon as it drives slowly, the driver turns the wheel by estimated 60° maximum, again with my hardware wheel turne3d to the maximum 120°.

I just cannot get around the corner in turn 15, even when I crawl. Some other turns the car can take - but merely so.

The Zonda or BMW-GT2 bite those tight turns and hairpins easily - at much higher speed. The P4/5 fails to take turns even at Mugello for me.

No other car gives me this problem. I m ean, some are difficult to turn, but that can be explained as obvious understeer effects.
Old 11-26-13, 06:14 PM   #89
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr-Berbunch View Post
You're right about minimal hand movement on the wheel.
Something like this I wanted to hear - to learn that I am not alone. Chances are anyway that it is a design feature anyway. Maybe that car class is not meant to be run on such tight-turned tracks anyway. Only people knowing the real racing events and regulations could answer that.

Driving that car in Monaco sounds like a very bad idea to me.
Old 11-26-13, 06:16 PM   #90
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionclaw View Post
Did a laptime of 1:38.280
I did 1:38.504

I'm sure I could get that down with some tweaks though.