SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-25-23, 07:35 PM   #1
FUBAR295
Krusty Krab

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 0
Support Need help with S3D install

I have run into an issue and not sure how to get it resolved.

Have a new desk top with SSD and Windows 11. No problems getting several SH3 mega mods loaded and running, but S3D seems to be a problem child. I am migrating from Windows Vista and 11 has been an adventure.

I have followed all the instructions on installing S3D and have Net 2.0 and DirectX 9 loaded, but I get the following error during install :

Puzzled about why it cannot find the needed files.

Any ideas ?

FUBAR295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-23, 08:11 PM   #2
Wolfstriked
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 230

I usually find solution by copy pasting the error in google.It might be best to reinstall windows... though first try a quick reboot of PC

Re: Error 1001.InstallUtilLib.dll: Unknown error

fixed with windows reinstall......
Wolfstriked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-23, 08:28 PM   #3
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Uploads: 2

See if Skwasjer's Post #1341 works for you

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-23, 10:35 PM   #4
FUBAR295
Krusty Krab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfstriked View Post
I usually find solution by copy pasting the error in google.It might be best to reinstall windows... though first try a quick reboot of PC

Re: Error 1001.InstallUtilLib.dll: Unknown error

fixed with windows reinstall......

Googled ... already have done that a while ago, one of the first things. Thanks !

Reinstall Windows tempting, but no ... that is not going to happen. This is a brand new machine.

Last edited by FUBAR295; 04-25-23 at 10:50 PM.
Old 04-25-23, 10:45 PM   #5
Wolfstriked
Grey Wolf

Have you tried updating windows to latest service pack?And also simply rebooting PC? Other than that I am out of ideas though I think you already tried these.
Old 04-25-23, 10:49 PM   #6
FUBAR295
Krusty Krab

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
See if Skwasjer's Post #1341 works for you

Thanks.

Attempted something similar with a complete uninstall and cleaned out the registry and a reboot, but I get the same error each an every time.

I'll try Skwasjer's remedy step by step and see what happens. If that does not work, I guess I will need to keep the old PC for modding, kind of defeats the purpose of the new PC except for the speed.

I really did not think getting this installed would be such a pain.

Old 04-25-23, 11:12 PM   #7
FUBAR295
Krusty Krab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfstriked View Post
Have you tried updating windows to latest service pack?And also simply rebooting PC? Other than that I am out of ideas though I think you already tried these.

This is a brand new machine with Windows 11, and all the previous Window's version compatibility and SP's are included.

I tried to install as admin and as not, various Window's versions and SP's too but continue to receive the same error. Used every trick in the bag, but no joy. Everything else related to SH3 works without problems and was a quick and easy install. Frustrated by the insanity of doing the same things over and getting the same results.

This is the last piece of the puzzle for SH3 Nirvana.

Old 04-25-23, 11:27 PM   #8
Wolfstriked
Grey Wolf

I know how you feel! And if you do decide as a last resort to reinstall windows and it still doesn't work.....my next suggestion is a case of beer
This always works for me as then I am suffering so bad with a hangover that I laugh at the stuff that made me feel the need to drink the case in first place!

Good luck man!
Old 04-26-23, 01:43 AM   #9
Hooston
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 15
Default Become a penguinista

Give Linux a try. I suggest you stroll over to https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/install...top#1-overview, make a bootable USB and select "Try Ubuntu" so you do not touch your existing system.
There's a similar setup over at https://fedoraproject.org/workstation/download/ if you like a slightly more stable but less featured approach.

There's a progression from trying Linux recreationally on a USB image, installing it as a dual boot setup alongside Windows, to ditching Windows altogether. It's like drugs... I think... I sacked Windows completely about seven years ago. Seems to me that they finished the project at Windows XP and since then have been driven (ar)solely by their marketing department.

SH3 and associated mods, tools etc run fine under Linux using the Wine application to provide all the interfaces expected from Windows. It's a bit of a pain to understand at first but it is long term stable and you are not forced to buy new hardware every few years.
Hooston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-23, 07:40 AM   #10
FUBAR295
Krusty Krab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooston View Post
Give Linux a try. I suggest you stroll over to https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/install...top#1-overview, make a bootable USB and select "Try Ubuntu" so you do not touch your existing system.
There's a similar setup over at https://fedoraproject.org/workstation/download/ if you like a slightly more stable but less featured approach.

There's a progression from trying Linux recreationally on a USB image, installing it as a dual boot setup alongside Windows, to ditching Windows altogether. It's like drugs... I think... I sacked Windows completely about seven years ago. Seems to me that they finished the project at Windows XP and since then have been driven (ar)solely by their marketing department.

SH3 and associated mods, tools etc run fine under Linux using the Wine application to provide all the interfaces expected from Windows. It's a bit of a pain to understand at first but it is long term stable and you are not forced to buy new hardware every few years.

I will consider your suggestions. But I will likely keep the old machine around for modding purposes.

Windows 11 is underwhelming would be a kind remark to what I really would like to say. The most aggravating thing is the ads for additional apps or ads to pay to remove the ads.

Can you tell I am disgusted?

Old 04-26-23, 09:29 AM   #11
propbeanie

Back a short ten years ago, Win11 would have been considered malware... sigh - now it is SOP.

Anyway, one thing to remember about S3D is that it is a LOT like SH3, 4 or 5, in that it expects to be the exclusive user of the computer, ~AND~ it also requires the same files, plus more, that Silent Hunter needs, including the DirectX v9.0c library files and a good install of netFramework v2, which is in a netFramework v3.5 install. None of those files are in Win11. So make certain you have all of those in there (Add Windows Features). Skwasjer's first post of the [REL] S3D - Silent 3ditor thread has his ReadMe repeated, so be sure you review that again. It might be that you have to back out of the netFramework install you have, and then re-install it. Something might be borked there. Also, be sure you are right-clicking on the S3D install msi file and "Run as administrator".

btw, there is nothing wrong (at least, I hope not) with keeping old computers. I still have my C-64 and I do have fun on it about once a month. Similarly with an old something-or-other (Athlon??) dual-boot with DOS and Win98, and I play my SH1, DC, Fighting Steel, etc. on that... then I have an XP / Win7 dual-boot that I use for "professional" audio, since my "professional" multi-track sound card set-up is considered "Legacy" by Windows, and is difficult to get running properly even on Win7... Then I have Win10 here, and a Win11 laptop that almost got thrown on the front lawn - again (the "almost' part lol) - just yesterday... - The laptop is the only machine I have that "qualifies" for Win11...

Old 04-26-23, 10:57 AM   #12
FUBAR295
Krusty Krab

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Back a short ten years ago, Win11 would have been considered malware... sigh - now it is SOP.

Anyway, one thing to remember about S3D is that it is a LOT like SH3, 4 or 5, in that it expects to be the exclusive user of the computer, ~AND~ it also requires the same files, plus more, that Silent Hunter needs, including the DirectX v9.0c library files and a good install of netFramework v2, which is in a netFramework v3.5 install. None of those files are in Win11. So make certain you have all of those in there (Add Windows Features). Skwasjer's first post of the [REL] S3D - Silent 3ditor thread has his ReadMe repeated, so be sure you review that again. It might be that you have to back out of the netFramework install you have, and then re-install it. Something might be borked there. Also, be sure you are right-clicking on the S3D install msi file and "Run as administrator".

btw, there is nothing wrong (at least, I hope not) with keeping old computers. I still have my C-64 and I do have fun on it about once a month. Similarly with an old something-or-other (Athlon??) dual-boot with DOS and Win98, and I play my SH1, DC, Fighting Steel, etc. on that... then I have an XP / Win7 dual-boot that I use for "professional" audio, since my "professional" multi-track sound card set-up is considered "Legacy" by Windows, and is difficult to get running properly even on Win7... Then I have Win10 here, and a Win11 laptop that almost got thrown on the front lawn - again (the "almost' part lol) - just yesterday... - The laptop is the only machine I have that "qualifies" for Win11...

Thanks again.

I downloaded Net Framework 2.0 and installed it back in the beginning of this adventure. I will give it a go just once more. Yank everything out, double check the registry, reinstall and see what happens. Though, I do not expect any different results.

It's a physical space issue with keeping the old machine. I suspect I will have to retain its services in the future, just do not know how to come up with a workable placement for the machine.

Old 04-26-23, 12:41 PM   #13
FUBAR295
Krusty Krab

Icon14 It finally works !!!!

Finally, got it to work.

Took Propbeanie's advice and ripe everything out and started over, again. Cleaned the registry again, also. It appears NetFramework file was corrupted, did not install properly. Downloaded a new copy, and this time I got an additional dialog during install for other files that were needed to run. Reloaded DirectX app and installed. This time, S3D installed.

Thanks Propbeanie for your support and advice.

Old 04-26-23, 01:27 PM   #14
propbeanie

You are more than welcome. I have had trouble off & on over the years, beginning with Win7, then more with 10, and 11 being very cantankerous with anything older than 2 years old. Very frustrating. I suppose we're fortunate that SH3 & 4 work as well as they do still, but there are no suitable replacements for the Silent Hunter series. I have tried several of the "modern" sea games of various stripes, and they sure are pretty, but the gameplay... sheesh. One reason I keep going back to SH3 & 4 is the fact that the games (especially modded properly) do not play the same way twice. Very similar situations, but does not play or end the same the same way. Plus, even after over 15 years of playing the games, I still have not tried all of the mods! lol