SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-13-11, 06:04 PM   #1
Patchman123
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 226
Uploads: 2
Default [REL] Patchmans Improved Charts Mod

Ahoy Mateys!! I have created a detailed navigational chart for Silent Hunter 4. I was tired of going past islands in the Dutch East Indies and the Solomon Islands that were not labeled. I have also labeled all the Hawaiian Islands, and have added several remote islands including St. Lawrence island near Alaska and the Galapagos Islands off Ecuador. It took several days to do this, the islands of the Dutch East Indies were particularly difficult due to their size at map scale. I have also improved upon JACE11's labels mod, using his mod as inspiration. I hope you enjoy this mod and find it useful. It is my gift to the virtual sailors of Silent Hunter 4, who have sailed past Southern Pacific islands before during the game. http://www.mediafire.com/file/15d1m2...n%20Charts.rar

Updated Version.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=3823

Gamefront (Filefront)
http://www.gamefront.com/files/22739...harts_Zwei_rar

Last edited by Patchman123; 12-12-12 at 02:06 PM.
Patchman123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-11, 06:33 PM   #2
Hylander_1314
Sea Lord

Downloads: 139
Uploads: 0

Cool! How about some screenies?

---------------------

Hylander_1314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-11, 07:04 PM   #3
raymond6751
Admirable Mike

Downloads: 421
Default Incomplete

Your readme file says this thing will crash the game in single mission mode.
Duh?

How about you post it when it works?
Old 02-13-11, 09:32 PM   #4
Patchman123
Electrician's Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymond6751 View Post
Your readme file says this thing will crash the game in single mission mode.
Duh?

How about you post it when it works?
Seems to work fine in stock, it's RFB that's the problem. I have a problem with using it, it gives me white out gauges, and crashes when I log out. Did you try it, and if so do you have any suggestions, I use GIMP 2.0 and not PhotoShop. It seems to be problematic.
Old 02-14-11, 07:29 AM   #5
Hylander_1314
Sea Lord

Patchman, you may wish to get with the RFB guys, and Ducimus for TMO, and the guys making FOTRS megamods, as this would be a real cool addition to those mods.

They may be able to help you figure out why it is giving you certain issues.

A mod is nice when it adds something like this one does, but it's a real dog, and won't get used much if folks have to worry about CTDs. Last thing someone wants, is to wait for days or weeks before seeing an enemy vessel, and get set up for that perfect shot, only to have the game lock, or drop you on your head.

But I'm glad you decided to tackle this. It would save me from having to keep a geographical mapbook handy to try to figure out which Island is which, especially when there are so many small ones in the Pacific.

---------------------

Old 02-14-11, 12:34 PM   #6
Jan Kyster
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 152

Erhm... sorry, but what single mission should give a problem?

I can run it fine in both stock and TMO 2.0a and haven't found a single mission it won't load in?

Have tried zooming in and out everywhere, but can't even get a single CTD. Darned!

Compared files with WinMerge and as far as I can tell it "only" adds names and some minor corrections. Should be perfectly fine...

/edit: will also run with RFB as this comes without campaign files, but not RSRD! Major changes here!
Jan Kyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-11, 03:23 PM   #7
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3211

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Kyster View Post
Erhm... sorry, but what single mission should give a problem?

I can run it fine in both stock and TMO 2.0a and haven't found a single mission it won't load in?

Have tried zooming in and out everywhere, but can't even get a single CTD. Darned!

Compared files with WinMerge and as far as I can tell it "only" adds names and some minor corrections. Should be perfectly fine...

/edit: will also run with RFB as this comes without campaign files, but not RSRD! Major changes here!
But TMO also change the campaign...With TMO yes, and RSRDC not?

Regards.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-11, 06:24 PM   #8
Jan Kyster
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 152

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzcarraldo View Post
But TMO also change the campaign...With TMO yes, and RSRDC not?
Oh, sorry! Yes, it change campaign.nms in TMO, but what I meant was, that I couldn't get it to crash. Mod is for Stock.

And will require quite some editing to fit into TMO/RSRD. Wonder what WinMerge can be told to do?
Jan Kyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-11, 06:54 PM   #9
Patchman123
Electrician's Mate

Quote:
Oh, sorry! Yes, it change campaign.nms in TMO, but what I meant was, that I couldn't get it to crash. Mod is for Stock.

And will require quite some editing to fit into TMO/RSRD. Wonder what WinMerge can be told to do?
I tried it with TMO. Works just fine. RSRDC seems to be the problem.
Old 02-15-11, 09:34 PM   #10
Hylander_1314
Sea Lord

The trouble with RSRD may be that it is hand edited in the mission files, so that would probably be a tough one to get done.

---------------------

Old 12-05-12, 01:32 PM   #11
Patchman123
Electrician's Mate

I am gonna make a new version of this mod with new map names and a new chart so that I can better navigate the entire globe.

Never mind guys, it works with RSRDC. It was something I tried to edit in RSRDC involving campaign bases and things like that caused the problem with the whited-out gauges and not working properly when I tried to mess with some of the mission details. Works with RSRDC.
Old 12-05-12, 02:39 PM   #12
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Downloads: 465

Patchman, Improved Charts mod's release date is 2/13/11. Your Über Navigation Charts mod is dated 2/26/11. Does Über supercede Improved? Do they have different compatibilities?

BTW, I use and love () Über Charts. Great mod! Nice work! Thanks for sharing.
BigWalleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-12, 01:15 PM   #13
Patchman123
Electrician's Mate

I have Re-released a new version of my Navigation Charts Mod.

I have added big letters for place named such as the Soviet Union and China, Canada, and the United States.

Presenting....... The release of Patchman's über Navigation Charts as Patchman's Uber Navigation Charts ZWEI, the German word for the number two.

It contains several hundred new map names for the Silent Hunter IV navigation charts to label all the islands that could be labeled on the map.

It took me several days to complete this project, including breaks from the computer.

I just updated a project that I started years ago because I was tired of going past unlabeled islands in the middle of nowhere, not knowing where I am and being off some island and not knowing its name as to my current position. It bothered me that it wasn't labeled.

I want to label these islands to recreate the feel of a real navigation chart. Who in their right mind who leave several hundred islands unlabeled on a real map like that in the SH4 stock map?

No real naval folks would really do such a thing. You'd think it was a shoddy work of cartography to leave such islands unlabeled.

So, I decided to label all these unlabeled islands to recreate a real map, based on a 1944 National Geographic Map of Southeast Asia.

I also happen to own a copy.

These names are also posted on David Rumsey's famous map collection. I assume Ubisoft had no time to label them, of course. I just pick up where they left off. So, due to my geographical skills that I've had ever since I was a child, which is true by the way, and intensely studying a map for days.

I labeled the map with hundreds of new map labels to recreate a real map. I did just that.

I do not know why Ubisoft did not label them. Probably because they didn't have time to do it all, on a limited time frame.

I just take the TMO map labels who were made by Jace11 for example, and Ducimus' TMO mod and add onto them to recreate a brand spanking new mod for Silent Hunter IV.

I believe that the pictures are too big for Subsim's website.

Rerelease of my famous Navigation Charts mod. Also available on Subsim.

For the big map names, I just simply in Paint.net took a file, added the biggest font size I could find, e.g. 900 point font for each letter and made it into a separate .dds file, just like a Scrabble tile. I took these "Scrabble tiles" and I would use the same consistent file size for each letter. And just like in Scrabble, I would put them together, like you would in a Scrabble game.

New mod for you guys. Enjoy!

I call this the Scrabble technique. Am I allowed to use that since Scrabble is a registered trademark?

Thank you for enjoying my mod, everyone.

Thank you

Patchman123.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=3823
Updated Version on Subsim

Filefront
http://www.gamefront.com/files/22739...harts_Zwei_rar

Last edited by Patchman123; 12-12-12 at 02:38 PM.
Old 12-12-12, 10:01 PM   #14
Patchman123
Electrician's Mate

Quote:

Mod is for TMO and RFB also. Works just fine with TMO. I use it every day. There are no problems with TMO for example. Just edit .dds file in Paint.net and that's that. No real problem there. Everything's just fine. Nothing to worry about!
Old 12-13-12, 07:24 AM   #15
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Downloads: 465

It seems to work just fine with RFB. WinMerge of Campaign_LOC.mis shows 99+% compatiblity. That should be enough, right?
BigWalleye is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chart, mod, navigate, patch