SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-14-21, 10:52 AM   #61
Sniper450
Officer

Downloads: 177
Uploads: 0
Default Roadmap from devs

Found on steam forums...

Weeks
- Get on top of the launch bugs! We're working hard to get them resolved.

Month/Months
- UI improvements. This is a high priority!

- Closely examine any balance issues, both in the campaign and combat.

- Assess player feedback and suggestions and determine how they overlap with our vision of the game.

- Assist and support the modding community.

Year
Within the year we would like to;
- Continue to polish the UI.

- Expand modding capabilities.

- Add more campaigns, ships and aircraft. Some free, some as part of DLCs.

- Ongoing enhancements.

Long Term Support
Our plan has always been to support War on the Sea for the long term. This is our most ambitious title to date and as we've mentioned before, this is the game we always wanted to make since Pacific Fleet.

War on the Sea has been designed with future expansion in mind and we are keen to see the entire Pacific theatre (41-45) represented; as well as eventually revisiting the Atlantic, and perhaps extending content as far as the Mediterranean theatres.
Sniper450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-21, 11:24 PM   #62
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner200013 View Post
Totally understand this, to this day wish someone would remake/finish Pacific Storm: Allies, always loved the game, just to many bugs!
Gunner200013!...somewhat belatedly.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-21, 08:30 AM   #63
Sniper450
Officer

And it’s back
Old 03-14-21, 12:15 PM   #64
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome back!

BadKarma1001! & stevieshae!nice silent runs!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-21, 10:52 PM   #65
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper450 View Post
Found on steam forums...

Weeks
- Get on top of the launch bugs! We're working hard to get them resolved.

Month/Months
- UI improvements. This is a high priority!

- Closely examine any balance issues, both in the campaign and combat.

- Assess player feedback and suggestions and determine how they overlap with our vision of the game.

- Assist and support the modding community.

Year
Within the year we would like to;
- Continue to polish the UI.

- Expand modding capabilities.

- Add more campaigns, ships and aircraft. Some free, some as part of DLCs.

- Ongoing enhancements.

Long Term Support
Our plan has always been to support War on the Sea for the long term. This is our most ambitious title to date and as we've mentioned before, this is the game we always wanted to make since Pacific Fleet.

War on the Sea has been designed with future expansion in mind and we are keen to see the entire Pacific theatre (41-45) represented; as well as eventually revisiting the Atlantic, and perhaps extending content as far as the Mediterranean theatres.
Is Steam the forum that the Devs pay attention to?
Old 04-05-21, 08:42 AM   #66
Sniper450
Officer

Yes! Take a look for yourself and see.
Old 06-23-21, 01:59 PM   #67
mookiemookie
Navy Seal

Downloads: 105
Uploads: 1

Just bought this on sale on Steam and am working my way through the tutorial. This looks super deep. I am gonna get steamrolled by the AI as I have no knowledge of strategy. Looking forward to it though.

Want more U-boat Kaleun portraits for your SH3 Commander Profiles? Download the SH3 Commander Portrait Pack here.
mookiemookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-21, 09:01 PM   #68
BungoJungo
Der Kommissar

Downloads: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookiemookie View Post
Just bought this on sale on Steam and am working my way through the tutorial. This looks super deep. I am gonna get steamrolled by the AI as I have no knowledge of strategy. Looking forward to it though.
I've been getting thoroughly steamrolled myself, but I've been watching some campaigns on youtube which has helped quite a bit. I still feel there is a definite lack of a "patrol" order where you can specify a sector and forget about the unit(s). The game is in much better shape than at launch.
BungoJungo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-21, 06:17 AM   #69
EAF274 Johan
Ensign

Downloads: 94

Bought it two weeks ago. I find it a very enjoyable game. Unless I missed something big in recent years, this could be the best experience since Task Force 1942... though not surpassing it.

There are a couple of UI quirks or limitations that can make controlling ships in battle a little awkward and I wish there was a way to delegate a division to an AI commander. Ship formations need improvement. I think the campaign represents certain aspects quite well (supply runs through The Slot, importance of air cover, IJN vs USN torpedoes). Just don't expect a day-by-day recreation of historical events. Some game mechanics favour the use of aircraft and subs, which is a pity since surface engagements is what this game does best. Air vs air combat is cumbersome, to say the least).

Happy I came across this title, I think it has enough to keep me interested until Task Force Admiral comes along.
Old 06-25-21, 03:17 PM   #70
mookiemookie
Navy Seal

Downloads: 105
Uploads: 1

I was playing around with one of the canned scenarios and got into a CL vs DD battle with me being the cruisers. It was fun beating up on the little guys until subs started hitting me with torps. What kind of cruiser task force wouldn't have at least a DD or two as a screen?

Guess I gotta build my own scenario.

Want more U-boat Kaleun portraits for your SH3 Commander Profiles? Download the SH3 Commander Portrait Pack here.
mookiemookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-21, 08:35 PM   #71
FireDragon76
Bosun

Downloads: 111

I got this recently. This is playable, but it's got an "early access" feel all over it. The interface isn't all that great and the AI is really bad in places (it drives right into itself alot, and the AI has a fair chance of capsizing ships in rough seas).

If you play with Americans, it's incredibly grinding and tedious to perform ASW missions using sonar. Japanese sonar is so much better. If it rains or it's sea state 4 or above, you can forget finding any contacts unless you like spending hours on fruitless searches with maybe a one off chance of finding anything. According to the Steam forums, air power is more effective at killing Japanese subs.

The subs in this game have gutsy, brash AI and have a nasty habit of unloading a full salvo of torpedoes on any surface ship they encounter, including destroyers. They aren't choosy. Which makes alot of ASW engagements dicey in the opening moves. And you still might not find them due to the fact the game lacks ways to plot search areas on the map. Ships in this game are nearly blind to subs that are traveling slow and not cavitating (which is often the case). I know that's realistic, but without the right tools, ASW is a real chore, and it really shouldn't have to be that way.

You can sometimes spot subs by their water disturbances: masts, periscopes, or the shadow they produce on the water at shallow depth, using binoculars. But your crew is so dumb they don't seem to see this themselves.

Without a way to auto-resolve encounters or plot out replenishing patrols or air stations, the game is extremely heavy on micromanagement.

In short, this game is really not ready for prime time. Not unless you can deal with an unpolished game that won't be many peoples cup of tea. Many of Killerfishes games have had this quality to a much lesser degree, I guess Cold Waters was a one-off experience and they got everything more or less right.

Last edited by FireDragon76; 06-27-21 at 09:35 PM.
FireDragon76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-21, 09:12 AM   #72
BungoJungo
Der Kommissar

Downloads: 15

Quote:
The subs in this game have gutsy, brash AI and have a nasty habit of unloading a full salvo of torpedoes on any surface ship they encounter, including destroyers. They aren't choosy. Which makes alot of ASW engagements dicey in the opening moves. And you still might not find them due to the fact the game lacks ways to plot search areas on the map. Ships in this game are nearly blind to subs that are traveling slow and not cavitating (which is often the case). I know that's realistic, but without the right tools, ASW is a real chore, and it really shouldn't have to be that way.

You can sometimes spot subs by their water disturbances: masts, periscopes, or the shadow they produce on the water at shallow depth, using binoculars. But your crew is so dumb they don't seem to see this themselves.
100% spot on here. I've put in several more hours since my last comment and have been getting the hang of the game and it's quirks. It's absolutely a click fest, in fact my right hand is sore from all of the clicking!

I've noticed when you begin an encounter, if you don't spot surface ships within the first 10 secs or so, there's already a salvo of torpedos coming your way. So you have to individually click each ship, click "Break", throttle full, and hard rudder port or starboard each time. Then, send your destroyers to the area where the torps look to have originated from.

I always seem to have a sea state of 5, so I rush my destroyers to where I think the torps originated and immediately throttle back to <10kn. Sometimes, I even set it around 3 kn if I get desperate. You are correct and that you need to zoom out and look for the shadow of the sub yourself as your crew is absolutely blind and the sonar absolutely sucks.

So basically, my strategy has been keep a bunch of subs in rotation, lone wolf style. I was able to sink a Yamato class this way with a single sub and some creative use of the fore and aft torpedo tubes.

My convoys I use to level up my bases and such are basically just some C3's, a Cimarron, and maybe 3-4 destroyers. I've found the Japanese subs much more dangerous to my convoys than any sort of massed fleet in the early game so far.

On patrols and my previously mentioned lack of a patrol search area option, I believe the game wants you to upgrade your airbases and naval yards as that expands the area of detection around them and is in, in essence, your "patrol". In practice, I'm doing an awful lot of clicking manually sending aircraft out in search of enemy subs on the surface or fleets.

The game has good bones, but it is absolutely a click-fest. I intend to keep playing, but I sincerely hope some QOL improvements get patched in. I'd like to focus on my strategy and not straining my wrist sending out constant air patrols or making tedious sub patrol routes.

P.S. If the US torpedo "dud" rate is historically accurate, I feel for our sailors. It's insane how many duds I've seen so far!
BungoJungo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-21, 08:58 PM   #73
FireDragon76
Bosun

Downloads: 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by BungoJungo View Post

I've noticed when you begin an encounter, if you don't spot surface ships within the first 10 secs or so, there's already a salvo of torpedos coming your way. So you have to individually click each ship, click "Break", throttle full, and hard rudder port or starboard each time. Then, send your destroyers to the area where the torps look to have originated from.

Victory at Sea has automatic torpedo evasion, and does a good job at least trying to avoid these kinds of long distance torpedo attacks. In the current build of War on the Sea, on the other hand, ships can barely avoid hitting each other most of the time. And that, as you note, adds up to alot of unnecessary micromanagement.

Alot of Killerfishes games are like this, though, strategy games with too many "sim" features implemented poorly. It's a bit schizophrenic. Sims are sims, and strategy games are strategy games, and the two don't generally mix well in terms of gameplay without having a great deal of ingenuity behind it.

Quote:
I always seem to have a sea state of 5, so I rush my destroyers to where I think the torps originated and immediately throttle back to <10kn. Sometimes, I even set it around 3 kn if I get desperate. You are correct and that you need to zoom out and look for the shadow of the sub yourself as your crew is absolutely blind and the sonar absolutely sucks.
Occasionally you do get lucky and I have sank a few subs doing something similar, but without plotting tools it's difficult to stay oriented on the map.

Quote:
So basically, my strategy has been keep a bunch of subs in rotation, lone wolf style. I was able to sink a Yamato class this way with a single sub and some creative use of the fore and aft torpedo tubes.

My convoys I use to level up my bases and such are basically just some C3's, a Cimarron, and maybe 3-4 destroyers. I've found the Japanese subs much more dangerous to my convoys than any sort of massed fleet in the early game so far.
That does seem like an appropriate strategy early in the game. Alot of Guadalcanal's action involved small vessels, subs, and air power. Ships are fun, but unless you have a decisive edge, the results are predictable and its mostly down to attrition at high cost.

Later in the game, the AI will start pulling out battleships and massing them (sometimes two at a time) into large task forces that could slaughter your convoys. You're going to need subs, air power, or a task force to stop them- the destroyers won't be able to protect your convoys.

Quote:
P.S. If the US torpedo "dud" rate is historically accurate, I feel for our sailors. It's insane how many duds I've seen so far!
If anything, it's probably a bit too conservative in the use of duds. US torpedoes early in the war were poor, full of duds and not having alot of explosive power. On the other hand, the Japanese torpedoes were generally very good, reliable weapons with alot of explosive power.
FireDragon76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-21, 08:52 PM   #74
nycoroner05
Soundman

Downloads: 142

This game is awesome!