Click here to access the Tanksim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Tanksim.com

Old 02-22-10, 01:06 PM   #166
ZeeWolf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 58
Uploads: 1

Hi Mort and Chucky,

The Red infantry anti tank rifles where very effective. Those weapons caused
a gret deal of concern for German Tankers so much so they developed the Schurzen.
However, I will not include them in the first Kursk release due to time constraints.
Anti-tank mines yes, anti tank rifles no.

Cheers
ZW

PS: But anti tank rifles are coming
ZeeWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-10, 06:44 AM   #167
morttheslayer
Soundman

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Russian Anti tank rifles

Thanks for reply Zee and Chucky

The AT rifles I refer to were known as PTRD and PTRS (very long barelled).
I have an Osprey publication 'Kursk 1943' which describes the battle in stages very well. The rifles are mentioned as being responsible for destroying many 'German Panzers' but thats about as much really as is mentioned. I haven't read many German accounts that credit this weapon with great 'killing power'. Probably haven't read the right accounts yet!

The most attrition (apart from Ground forces!) came from the air strikes both sides inflicted with Sturmoviks and Henschel, Stuka and FW190s.

Thanks again for replies

ATB Mort
morttheslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-10, 03:05 PM   #168
frinik
Grey Wolf

Default AT rifles

Mort, Chucky, Zee,

I remember reading the recount of a Soviet tank crewman about the effectiveness of these armour-piercing anti tank rifles and he was saying that Soviet propaganda had greatly exaggerated the effectiveness of these weapons with the intent to spread fear amongst German tank personnel to make them less effective in the field.While it's true that they were able to score hits on lighter tanks like the Panzer II and IIIs and kill some commanders and inflict casualties on tank crews they were not or never were of the same order as the heavy losses the Red tank crews suffered when confronted with panzerfaust or panzerschrecks.These rifles were effectiev against armour no thicker than 30 to 40 mm and then at very short ranges(up to 120 metres) which would have put the marksman at great risk.

Cheers
frinik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-10, 10:25 AM   #169
LcSummers
XO

Downloads: 341
Default Hey guys i am back, online

Hello Kameraden,

after a heavy fight with russian forces my Tiger I tank took a serious hit. I was badly wounded. Mort helped me out and said that a shrapnel "destroyed my knee". I survived that hit and want to let you know that i am back. Sure i cannot go without crutches (have to use them till May) but my orders say it clearly:

i have to go back to my unit and fight again.

I am happy to be back. I lost a little bit the thread.

Now i am eager to go on. Read that ZW has updated his site.

Any news?

Thank you all again for best whishes.
I am back to work and fight again.

Cheers

LC
LcSummers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-10, 10:49 AM   #170
frinik
Grey Wolf

Default Welcome back!

Hey Lc good to have you back! I guess no strafKommando for you????I was keeping a Panzer II clean and ready just for your personal use .

Even on one leg, I am sure you'll be more than a match for the T34sand Kvs.

Welcome back and heal!

Cheers

Frinik

Quote:
Originally Posted by LcSummers View Post
Hello Kameraden,

after a heavy fight with russian forces my Tiger I tank took a serious hit. I was badly wounded. Mort helped me out and said that a shrapnel "destroyed my knee". I survived that hit and want to let you know that i am back. Sure i cannot go without crutches (have to use them till May) but my orders say it clearly:

i have to go back to my unit and fight again.

I am happy to be back. I lost a little bit the thread.

Now i am eager to go on. Read that ZW has updated his site.

Any news?

Thank you all again for best whishes.
I am back to work and fight again.

Cheers

LC
Old 02-24-10, 12:00 PM   #171
morttheslayer
Soundman

Default Anti-tank rifles

Frinik Thanks for that, I read some tank crews found holes in their armour after some engagements (penetrations were from ther side) as you say up to 40mm seems to be the limit. The account I read didn't seem to worry the German crews since the projectiles passed cleanly through and didn't spall or riccochet around the hull.

ZW said he's not bothering to reproduce AT rifles for Kursk and I would surely agree; most opposition was from AT guns mobile and dug in T34s and artillary. Don't know if airstrikes will be reproduced well if the game code doesn't support it. Too much of a big job to programme air support probably.

BTW welcome back Lc I hope you're limping better today??

Best Regards Mort
Old 02-26-10, 09:28 AM   #172
LcSummers
XO

Quote:
Originally Posted by frinik View Post
Hey Lc good to have you back! I guess no strafKommando for you????I was keeping a Panzer II clean and ready just for your personal use .

Even on one leg, I am sure you'll be more than a match for the T34sand Kvs.

Welcome back and heal!

Cheers

Frinik

Hi Frinik,

your right no Strafbatallion for me. No Panzer II. Only a stiff leg. But i am still very dangerous.

I do not need any Luger or P-38, i have my crutches, these are deadly weapons in close combat.

Thanks for wishes, i really appreciate it.
Its weekend, hope to get some news from ZW. Yes a few days and then we´ll see heavy fighting and reports on this thread.

I´ll be back later.

Have a nice day

LC
Old 02-26-10, 09:32 AM   #173
LcSummers
XO

BTW welcome back Lc I hope you're limping better today??

Best Regards Mort[/QUOTE]

Thanx Mort,

i am happy to be back, i missed this forum. What do you mean with limping, i am jumping. My unoffical name is Jumping Jack.

See you later

LC
Old 02-26-10, 10:55 PM   #174
frinik
Grey Wolf

Default Jumping?

You are jumping Lc? I thought Lc stood for Lame canon or is it Limping Comrade ....

Welcome back!
Old 02-27-10, 08:28 AM   #175
LcSummers
XO

Default I didnt heard (read)

Quote:
Originally Posted by frinik View Post
You are jumping Lc? I thought Lc stood for Lame canon or is it Limping Comrade ....

Welcome back!

I didn t heard that. LC means

Lieutenant Colonel

Lightning Chief

Lucky Comrade

So please Gefreiter (Private) Frinik, more respect or you become a Panzer I Commander

PS: Do you know eventually the size (in MB or GB) of Kursk? Will the game be splitted up?

Howdy

LC
Old 02-27-10, 12:03 PM   #176
frinik
Grey Wolf

Default kursk

Well Lightning Comrade I believe that Kursk will only be the first of several installemnts.The Kursk Offensive was in fact a series of battles and knowing our friend ZW, his perfectionism, his drive and ambition I believe he intends to create several mods after his major release once the game has proved to be stable, bug free and shown the new face of TvsT.Perhaps as many as 4 monthly or bimonthly releases after the major one.He will want to test before he expands and pushes the limits of the game with urban combat, night, fog, rain, winter ect.With the large maps that he has created and the new vehicles that he plans to gradually introduce he will definitely create a new spectacular game out of nthe ashes of the defunct one.

Well speaking of panzer ,I'll glady drive mine in the shadow of the panzer II you'll be driving

Speedy recovery Dear Comrade in Arms
Old 02-28-10, 10:58 AM   #177
LcSummers
XO

Default Misunderstood

Well speaking of panzer ,I'll glady drive mine in the shadow of the panzer II you'll be driving

Frinik, i think you are not right. As the Panzer I was (later) a recon vehicle you have to show the much heavier Panzer II the way. Dont be afraid, you are well armed with two 7.92 mm MGs.

BTW thank you for the informations on Kursk

LC

Last edited by LcSummers; 03-03-10 at 08:44 AM.
Old 02-28-10, 12:38 PM   #178
morttheslayer
Soundman

Kursk and after

Hello all - Just a short note to point out that the revert to driver position glitch can be "fudged". If you haven't tried this operating in the Cmdrs or Guners position; after vacating the drivers position - dont select Auto Driver. That way you can (I set the engine revs so it won't stall) move the tank fwd and back while looking thro the sight - then get a shot away and back off hull down if on a slight incline.
Maybe the game was configured to allow this - don't know but it helps - anyone else used this method?

Pity you can't man all the positions simultaneously eh!!

Over and Out - Mort
Old 03-01-10, 01:00 AM   #179
frinik
Grey Wolf

Default Lc and Mort

Lc, I might be tempted during one of my scouting missions attract too much Soviet attention to the fact that our Panzer II commander limps and is therefore an easy picking.

Lc at least with your crutches you'll have an easier time typing the game keys from your bed...

Mort tahnks for the tip although if you wish to change positions quickly in your tank I advise you to read the " Kamasutra Made Easy for Tiger Crews"

Cheers

BTW ZW told me we can expect tank numbers in Kursk to be of company or brigade size(Soviet side I guess).Good news.

Onward to Zeetadelle!
Old 03-01-10, 02:52 PM   #180
morttheslayer
Soundman

Kursk

Hello all.
Thanks Frinik, I think Lc might struggle in the turret with his crutches - mind you he can poke the driver with one to see if he's really dead when his T34 gets "browned over"; as for Karma Sutra for Tankers he'll probably
need an all Russian women crew - then a year in a field hospital

Tanks in Company/Brigade strength eh!! I hope ZW has plenty of ammo Hannomags on tap cos when I'm in my Tiger I get trigger happy and like lots of nice Loooong shots!!

Over and Out - Mort