SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-03-19, 06:14 PM   #16
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 490
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUBAR295 View Post
This is from H.sie PDF file :

20. Bad Weather Fix
Some people reported about a serious bug in sh3: The weather sometimes sticks at high windspeeds with 15m/s, fog and no visibility. This bug no more exists.
What does this Fix do? Mainly nothing. It does not change the sh3 weather algorithm at all and will only be active, when strom- or fog periods are too long. It consists of two independent counters: A STORM_COUNTER that counts the number of weather periods with 15m/s windspeed, and a FOG_COUNTER that counts the number of weather periods with fog. If STORM_COUNTER reaches a certain maximum value (see below), the fix
forces a reduction of the windspeed. If FOG_COUNTER reaches a certain maximum value (see below), the fix reduces clouds and thus also fog.

Maximum values for the COUNTERS
· The maximum value for STORM_COUNTER is 5 weather periods.
· The maximum value for FOG_COUNTER is 3 weather periods.

The maximum values for both counters (default: 5 and 3) can be adjusted in the hsie.ini file. So if you want better weather with less storm and fog, reduce these values to 4 and 2 (or even 3 and 1).

I also programmed a little chance that this weather-controlling mechanism described above is bypassed in order to keep some uncertainty, so that a little chance remains for storm- and fog periods longer than the maximum values.

This Fix also fixes a bug, that the weather time counter is not saved in a savegame, so that the counter always starts at 0 every time you load a mission or savegame. That means, that the first weather change always occurs exactly after a full weather period (20 - 40 hours). Now, the time counter is initialized with a randomly chosen value between 0 and 95% of the weather period, so that a weather change shortly after loading a mission is possible.

Compatibility
· Multiplayer: Not tested yet, but I don't think it works for Multiplayer mode.

Good Hunting
FUBAR295

That's what I was remembering in my above post, thanks again.
Old 12-05-19, 01:11 PM   #17
FeatsOfStrength
Gunner

Downloads: 25
Uploads: 0

I'm going to have to give this a go, i've literally given up patrols because I spent 20+ days in nothing but heavy fog, pouring rain and heavy waves, making doing any kind of manual torpedo work nearly impossible as I need to be with 300 metres and only have seconds to even spot the ship before firing.
FeatsOfStrength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-19, 01:51 PM   #18
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeatsOfStrength View Post
I'm going to have to give this a go, i've literally given up patrols because I spent 20+ days in nothing but heavy fog, pouring rain and heavy waves, making doing any kind of manual torpedo work nearly impossible as I need to be with 300 metres and only have seconds to even spot the ship before firing.
Yeah, attacking in such weather isn't historically realistic anyway. Hsie's or Stiebler's fixes both will help per your example.
Old 12-07-19, 06:19 PM   #19
difool2
Commander

Downloads: 30

I believe that the change window (yes, resets after every save) can be upwards of 3 1/2 days in winter (c.f. 50 hours upthread), but shorter in the other seasons. If every one of your gaming sessions is less than 3 1/2 days (you save quit then reload) then yes, weather will be "stuck" indefinitely.
difool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-19, 08:30 PM   #20
newtee2
Swabbie

Downloads: 4

Quote:
John,

Check this if you already haven't;

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=225353

I also seem to remember something about when the game is saved, the weather clock is reset, but not sure if it is H.sie or Stiebler fix that this occurs.

Good hunting,
FUBAR295
Do you have to start a new career or have a fresh patrol save?
newtee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-19, 08:51 PM   #21
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome back!

newtee2! After a long silent run.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-19, 09:26 PM   #22
FUBAR295
Krusty Krab

Downloads: 439

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtee2 View Post
Do you have to start a new career or have a fresh patrol save?
I recommend any changes made be done with a Save file while in Home port before a new patrol.

Good Hunting,
FUBAR295

FUBAR295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-19, 11:54 PM   #23
newtee2
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
newtee2! After a long silent run.
Thanks!

Quote:
I recommend any changes made be done with a Save file while in Home port before a new patrol.

Good Hunting,
FUBAR295
Yeah I'm abandoning my current patrol now so I can try out the mod. Went down to the mediterranean & gibraltar area and experienced nothing but storm for about 10 days straight. Not only that but the storm started after I left the bay of biscay so it was really about 20 days. Heavy fog, 15+ m/s winds, and heavy rain (even though nav officer says precipitations NONE). Literally unplayable.
Old 12-12-19, 10:27 PM   #24
newtee2
Swabbie

What's hilarious now is that whenever I load a game where I'm underwater my boat thinks I'm surfaced and there are men on the bridge. Never had this happen before until this little mod. Used to have this happen in SH4 all the time too!
Old 12-12-19, 11:30 PM   #25
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
What's hilarious now is that whenever I load a game where I'm underwater my boat thinks I'm surfaced and there are men on the bridge. Never had this happen before until this little mod. Used to have this happen in SH4 all the time too!
If you're saying you make saves while submerged, that is sure to cause problems in SH3. I'm surprised it even loads.
Old 12-13-19, 12:28 AM   #26
FUBAR295
Krusty Krab

Downloads: 439

Quote:
Thanks!

Yeah I'm abandoning my current patrol now so I can try out the mod. Went down to the mediterranean & gibraltar area and experienced nothing but storm for about 10 days straight. Not only that but the storm started after I left the bay of biscay so it was really about 20 days. Heavy fog, 15+ m/s winds, and heavy rain (even though nav officer says precipitations NONE). Literally unplayable.
You may wish to try this tweak to help with your weather :

The maximum values for both counters (default: 5 and 3) can be adjusted in the hsie.ini file. So if you want better weather with less storm and fog, reduce these values to 4 and 2 (or even 3 and 1).

Good hunting,
FUBAR295

FUBAR295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-19, 10:46 PM   #27
newtee2
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Pancoast View Post
If you're saying you make saves while submerged, that is sure to cause problems in SH3. I'm surprised it even loads.
Been playing the same vanilla career off and on for about 5 years now and I've had no problems loading saved games where my boat is under water.

Quote:
You may wish to try this tweak to help with your weather :

Good hunting,
FUBAR295

Thank you, but I don't have hsie's patch!
Old 12-15-19, 10:55 PM   #28
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Been playing the same vanilla career off and on for about 5 years now and I've had no problems loading saved games where my boat is under water.
You're lucky; that's not the norm. Would be nice to have. <g>