SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-21-19, 04:23 PM   #1
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Default Maybe the best sim-reality comparison video I have ever seen

Reality looks like the older game. The synchronising of events is extreme for the whole lap.

The driver is one of the main developers, and a known very good online driver as well.

In Raceroom, the Nordschleife ius the only track that is laserscanned. All their tracks however are of extrneely high qulaity, visually as well as physically. The ammount of track details that modern racing sims like Raceroom and Assetto Corsa can show, is incredible, and was unimaginable some years ago. The point clouds of laserscans can contain trillions and trillions of points.

Personally, I do not mind whether a track is laserscanned or not, if the hand.made track is realyl well-made - then you simply do not take note of the differences easily. I have driven on twoo man superb, most excellent hand-tailiored tracks by now as if I would support the laserscna fetish any longer. However, the hand-made track really must be made with utmost care and attention to detail if wanting to compete with laserscans. Good track mods use publicly available laserscan and radar data as well as LIDAR data sets. Having come of age by now, Assetto Corsa sees the release of track mods since two, three years now that bypass the original quality of the laser-scanned default tracks by Kunos. The latest is Kyalami (SA), just released yesterday, and many label it as the best looking track mod ever.

No other game genre lends itself so naturally and easily to VR, like racing sims.

Last edited by Skybird; 11-21-19 at 04:35 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-19, 02:17 AM   #2
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

From the missing bumps and no shaking, the first video must have been filmed from a Citroen with nitrogen suspension
Seriously, this simulation is unbelievably detailed and real as far as it can get.

OT here a bit but is there a race simulation on the market that sports "historical" cars from e.g. the 1960ies?

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-19, 06:25 PM   #3
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
OT here a bit but is there a race simulation on the market that sports "historical" cars from e.g. the 1960ies?
There are SO MANY mods for Assetto Corsa, the classical AC I mean, not Competizione. Chances are you find there what you seek. Check Race Department. The sim also has many classical cars aboard by default or via the many DLCs, which I all recommend.

Both Assetto Corsas as well as Raceroom are my to-go-to sims, when it comes to racing. All work very well with my Oculus Rift. The cockpits of the Assetto Corsas in VR are INCREDIBLE.

This is a list of AC's manufacturer content, counting the base game an d all DLCs.

https://www.gtplanet.net/assetto-cor...tion-car-list/

Race Department lists over 11 thousand files for AC, 260+ are cars, and 8000+ are car skins. It alos lists over 620 mod tracks. some of them are better than , at least as good as the default ones by Kunos.

https://www.racedepartment.com/downl...setto-corsa.1/

AC, ACC or RR, you cannot go really wrong with any of these, only the limited focus of ACC (GT3 Blancpain series exlcuisvely so far, but thgis with flying colours). Automobilista also has a good reputation, but I cannot play a thosuanbd different racing games, so enver touched it, but people speak good of it. rF2 I tried four different builds years ago, and did not like it. If Nascar is your thing, there is no way around iRacing, while there are other Nascar titles, they are not really an alternative for realistic Nascar simulating. I do no iR, however.

Summary: plenty of classic cars in Assetto Corsa.
Old 11-26-19, 06:33 PM   #4
Skybird
Soaring

Again, there are so many car mods, and car pack mods. Not all of them are available at RD. Some mod studios have their own websites and webshops.
Old 11-26-19, 06:54 PM   #5
Skybird
Soaring

There are also many mods with old, classic tracks. Or packs that offer both old cars and old tracks.

Old 11-26-19, 07:00 PM   #6
Skybird
Soaring

Or this:

Chris Haye imo does some of the best edited and professionally done sim racing videos you can find on the web. Check his many videos on the various builds of Assetto Corsa Competizione, they are pieces of pure art. Outstanding. He also did several videos on mod cars and mod tracks, also classical, old cars and tracks.
Old 11-27-19, 01:13 PM   #7
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115

After many years of gaming on potato PC's, I finally build me a good rig this last summer for the precise reason of these super high detailed race sims.

I've got a decent amount of time in AC, PC2, Race07, F1 2014, 2017 and 2019...and it was worth exactly every single penny.

I'm working up to finding time to compete in the regional SCCA Autocross events, and this is a great way for me to work on my techniques in some of the more realistic sims.

The only thing I still need to get is an Oculus. I tried out AC with VR a few months back and I absolutely need to get one.

I'll have to check out RaceRoom. Haven't spent any time with that one, but I would like to get into some online races here as my time frees up.
Old 11-27-19, 04:38 PM   #8
Skybird
Soaring

Raceroom has gone a very long way, after a terriboe start and relaunch it now imo is one of the best sims on the market. Best AI in the racing genre, imo. Superb sounds, only ACC has even better ones. Excellent track pool by the developer, no other title has so many fantatsic, famous tracks. But: not moddable. Olde rgraohics engine (I like it, however, its smooth in VR as well). No weather and no night racing. The cars feel heavier and more connected to the road as in assetto corsa Classic, but Competizione has bridged that gap and took the best form both worlds.

The deveklopers of Assetto and Reroom are guifted with their ophysics chiefs. Both are holding reral world racing licenses, and Secotr§'S Alex Hodgkinson even was prfessional driver for many years. Both knbow the stuff as enginewers as well as drivers, and that is toi be seen in both sims. What they do, is magic.

The AI in the Assetto corsas is also reliable and good, but more pacifistic than that of Raceroom, in Raceroom it has sharper teeth a bit, is in an angrier mood (what I like). Different car classes are handled diffrently competent by the aI. The faster and more agile and "hysterical" the car is, the easier the AI mishandles the car class, causing bumps, collisions, and unexpected manouvers: because then evertyhign happens so fast that reaction times are reduced to minimums and the error margins are very tight.

Raceroom is best bought in a sale (Black friday!!) and then the Premium pack. Once in a lifetime you can get all ever released content so far (all cars, skins, tracks) for one smile price. You save an awesome lot of money there!

Raceroom is more focussed on racing series and seasons and racing cars, AC has aq wider car spectrunm, ACC is exlcusovely fixiated on the Blancpain series GT3. ACC soon will get a DLC with Suzuzka and Mount Panorama as laserscans, and two other tracks included. The big agument for AC1 is the enonmrous number of mods, no other race sim was so heavily moddede like this one.

All three are winners, but are different. AC1 and RR imo are perfectly complementary. To have both, makes sense, imho.
Old 11-28-19, 07:17 AM   #9
Skybird
Soaring

Now is the right time to get Raceroom: Friday sales lowers the prize for the so-called Premium-Pack to 75 Euros, which is a steal: 46 track locations, most tracks with 2-5 variations, over 130 cars in dozens of classes, a four digit-number of realistic skins. This pack can be bought once per customer, and features all content that at the date of bying has ever been released. Saves you hundreds of coins.

The Assetto Corsa Ultimate edition is currently available for hilarious 11,80 Euros! It includes the base game and all 11 DLCs ever released.

This means for less than a "Hunni" (100-Euro note) you can get the complete collections of two of the most outstanding racing sims ever released. Assetto Corsa still ranks as the most played amongst the serious realstic sim racings on Steam Charts.
Old 11-28-19, 02:43 PM   #10
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Hmmmm. Before I assault my wallet, I might give it a try. Seems it's free-to-play at least in some regard.

What I *really* need is a better way to mount my G920 and shifter to my desk. The cheap-o desk I have at the moment is coated with some sort of slick finish over a cheap wood. Seems my shifter likes to slide off the table on occasion. Makes playing games like Dirt Rally kind of annoying.

I just don't have a lot of space in the gaming area right now, unfortunately.
Old 11-28-19, 03:09 PM   #11
Skybird
Soaring

All the cars can be test-driven for free in their shop, on their inhouse track. It is meant to give buyers of indivoidual cars the chance to get a taste of the individual car.

You also must know that they are in the ongoing process of migrating car physics from an "oldest" and an "older" development stage, to "newest" which are physics designed bx Alex Hodgkinson. These latter are the best ones.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/162A...4YstFnY9g/view

If you join a test session on their servers on other tracks, make sure you drive one of these. AI also tends to work best with these. For testing, stay awayx formt he exotic cars, but try the mainstream classes, usually these are the ones that work best. TRry different cars as well, the differences can be immense. Old cars like some of the older Porsches can also be great fun, right becasue they are more tricky to drive. WTCC cars are front wheel driven.

Setting up the force feedback well can be a bitch, and they do not explainn their many options too well. If you run into issues, ask in their forum.

https://forum.sector3studios.com/index.php

Last edited by Skybird; 11-28-19 at 03:22 PM.
Old 11-29-19, 05:49 AM   #12
Skybird
Soaring

Had three Laps on the Nordschleife last night: mutli-class, 100 cars on track. Amazing what can be done with Raceroom. There were some hickups because the stress on my system was increased further by using VR, but it was playable. Usually in VR i do not do more than 60 cars. In fact I stick to 30-40 most of the time. In the small rumble pits of their Swedish tracks, that is enough to have action everywhere.

-----

For those not knowing it: the little mod app Crew Chief can safely be taken as a must-have. The most preciosu functionality it adds is that of a reliable spotter, but it adds tremendously to immersion with so many more messages and options. You get constant messages on events, and times, tehcncial status and more. Voice-recognition available, I think. Originally a Raceroom-exclusive item, it now is available in practically all major sims out there. Really, a must-have. I do not often donate for mod content. For this one, I did, and generously. Spotters may not be realusric in all series, but in PC simming, you suffer from a generla lack of situational awareness, and this app does a superb job in making you aware of what happens around you, in your blind angles. And it is so reliable.

----

Finally, I recommend to plan races with pitstops. The are easy to be switched "on" in the race setup screen, you have to preplan what is to be done in the break however. AC and RR then will open a time window in the middle third of the race, when the cars will pit, you cna oit mor eofteh if oyu want, but yo have to do one itstop in this timewindow to comply with the demanded mandatory one. It can become quite chaotis. I jump the speed limit. I stop to far off the pitstop markers. I mess up reengaing the engine. Or I messed up fuel planning. It all has happend to me, and it added to the hectic and chaos that intense pitting ohases cna mean. Its big fun, and can reshuffle the standings. I always take a deeeeep breath when I have passed my mandatory stop. Becasue it si fun, I plan with pitstops even if setting up a race with only 9 or 12 laps. I dont want to miss the drama!

Last edited by Skybird; 11-29-19 at 06:01 AM.
Old 11-30-19, 06:48 PM   #13
Skybird
Soaring

Something very different: Gran Turismo Sports on Playstation 4.

In realism it is not really a hardcore sim. But I readily admit: it is very solid fun compromise between realism and arcade, packed in an utmost elegant package of now impressive content volume, and with some of best graphics, namely the Tv replays and the glass bodies of the rear lights look fantastic. Driving them with motion control mode of PS4 controllers is possible and works good, but of course best choice is wheels.

I do not play it often since I do not play PS4 often in general, but sometimes I do. Though aC and ACC and RR are my home sims, I like GT. A lot. Well. I also like Wreckfest (on PC).

This 3+ hours video shows the four races of some live world championship they do. Its four different races in four different locations with four different cars and it gives a nice overview of what is possible in immersion and TV-like coverage today. You do not watch 3 hours of such video, so you have to jump manually between different sections of the video to jump into the three different races.

Raceroom does such live event show acts as well. Usually live at real world racing events, and in their own Raceroom cafe at the Nordschleife. Raceroom, owned by a suspension manufacturer and thus featuring the best suspension simulation data and technology on the sim market (they have full access to KW's live data), runs its own cafes as well, so they are a bit more than just a racing sim.

Old 12-08-19, 05:50 PM   #14
eddie
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 99

You are right Sky, AC has some great mods, keeps me racing a lot,lol

Al Capone
eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-19, 12:11 PM   #15
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

If you guys ever want to race, shoot me a PM. I'm not super quick on track yet, but I'm getting there.