SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-21-13, 10:13 AM   #901
Rocko
Watch

Downloads: 274
Uploads: 0
Default Torpedo re-loading requires surfacing the boat...

Hi gap,

Thanks for your feedback. Just want to clarify that in the previous post I was referring to resurfacing for reloading a second set of 4 torpedoes from the bow of the boat even after selecting the 'Autoloading' option in the Weapons page. What is the purpose of this option then?

Please advise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko View Post
Please advise on the following matter. I'm using Sober's mega mod and each time I fire torpedoes I-V, I need to resurface to reload. Even if 'Auto Loading' is selected. How can torpedoes be reloaded without the need of resurfacing. I'm on the 'Turning Point' campaign.... type VIIC-41 I think....

Thanks for your insight!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
Torpedo reserves are limited. When internal torpedo reserves are used up, your crew will load torpedoes from external reserves; this means that the U-boat must be surfaced long enough for the unloading procedure to be accomplished, and that during it weather must be good. IIRC, you can disable "realistic torpedo loading" with from main menue's realism settings.
Rocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-13, 10:43 AM   #902
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Please advise on the following matter. I'm using Sober's mega mod and each time I fire torpedoes I-V, I need to resurface to reload. Even if 'Auto Loading' is selected. How can torpedoes be reloaded without the need of resurfacing. I'm on the 'Turning Point' campaign.... type VIIC-41 I think....

Thanks for your insight!
Crew won't reload torpedoes while you're on silent running...
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-13, 11:00 AM   #903
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Hi gap,

Thanks for your feedback.
My pleasure

Quote:
Just want to clarify that in the previous post I was referring to resurfacing for reloading a second set of 4 torpedoes from the bow of the boat even after selecting the 'Autoloading' option in the Weapons page. What is the purpose of this option then?
Autoloading means that you don't need to drag torpedoes from your reserves to empty tubes for them to be reloaded. If torpedoes are still available, your crew will load automatically any empty tubes at their earliest convenince; still loading will require some time to be accomplished, and if only external torpedoes are available, you need to be surfaced for the reloading to start.

If you want torpedo tubes to be reloaded immediately, no matter if internal reserves are used up and you are submerged, go to main game menu, select 'Game options', go to the 'Gameplay settings' tab, uncheck 'Realistic reload', and click on 'Apply changes':

gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-13, 03:17 AM   #904
CaptJulius
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 154

Looks Good
CaptJulius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-13, 12:02 PM   #905
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Little bit propaganda for brave tehnicians ... To boost moral and make work easier ...

Keep them cooming!

Last edited by vdr1981; 08-30-13 at 12:45 PM.
Old 08-31-13, 11:00 AM   #906
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJulius View Post
Looks Good
thanks, I am currently busy with other small projects, but I think Volodya released a beta version of our work on the AA guns somewhere in another thread

PS: here

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdr1981 View Post
Little bit propaganda for brave tehnicians ... To boost moral and make work easier ...

Keep them cooming!
Wonderful footage, thank you for sharing
Old 09-11-13, 11:39 AM   #907
gap
Navy Seal

Just found this huge collection of scanned manuals on WWII ordnance and weaponry:

http://www.lexpev.nl/manuals/index.html
Old 10-13-13, 05:43 PM   #908
plj
Captain

Downloads: 70

I noticed a discussion about the tracer color in the beginning of this mamoth topic, and didnt care to check, but red would deffinately NOT be a good alternative, and I think the color is quite historically correct tbh.

http://www.ww2incolor.com/forum/arch...hp/t-7020.html

Some discussion on tracer rounds there .. fluorecent lime green ... that would be almost yellow as far as most colormaps go.
plj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-13, 06:45 PM   #909
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by plj View Post
I noticed a discussion about the tracer color in the beginning of this mamoth topic, and didnt care to check, but red would deffinately NOT be a good alternative, and I think the color is quite historically correct tbh.

http://www.ww2incolor.com/forum/arch...hp/t-7020.html

Some discussion on tracer rounds there .. fluorecent lime green ... that would be almost yellow as far as most colormaps go.
I have done quite an extensive research on the topic. Green, yellow, red and white tracers were all used on Kriegmarine's and other WWII navies's ammunition. I can post here some of my sources, if you like it.
The point is: which shade of green, which shade of red, how much transparent, etc? WWII Color footage is pretty rare, and the link you have posted, though possibly giving us some clues, refers to tankers. Any furthter contribution very much appreciated
Old 12-29-13, 04:28 PM   #910
vdr1981
Navy Seal

So Gap, when do we start to entering data from your spreadsheet into gunsradars.sim file? Next year?

Your document contains little fortune of data, it would be really shame not to use it .
Old 12-29-13, 05:13 PM   #911
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdr1981 View Post
So Gap, when do we start to entering data from your spreadsheet into gunsradars.sim file? Next year?

Your document contains little fortune of data, it would be really shame not to use it .
I agree: wasting all the work done so far (not only by me: also Volodya, keysersoze and several other subsim members have given a decisive contribution to this project), would be a shame.

Putting this mod in stand-by was not in vain though. In the meanwhile I have learned a lot about SH5. Most notably, with your help, I have got an insight of the u-boat equipment/upgrade settings and I have a better knowledge of the parameters affecting guns' accuracy and fire rates of fire, not to mention the damage system modelled in game. This experience will be precious for the continuing of this project

There are still some unsolved problems though. As you know, just entering historical specs in game is not enough for getting SH5 gunners to behave as expected. I am especially concerned about practical rates of fire and hit rates. In WWII warfare, the above factors varied heavily depending on a number of other factors, including crew training, fatigue, and sea state. Sure enough, destibilizing SH5 guns is an hard task, as elevation/training rates and gyro stabilization rates are strictly connected, if not identical.

This is to say that the completion of the present mod will require a lot of beta testing and fine-tuning. If you are ready to undertake at least part of this work, I will be side-by-side with you, that is sure
Old 04-04-21, 06:34 AM   #912
U-190
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 2338

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
As announced in another thread, I've started collecting information on historical specs of both AI and human playable guns featured in game. If I manage to do it, this knowledge is going to be included in a mod that will introduce a general rebalance of armaments /ammo / zones and armour system in SH5. So far, this the detailed list of features I plan to implement:
  • Realistic guns specs:
    - train and elevation min and max angles;
    - train and elevation speeds;
    - train and elevation dispersions;
    - cyclic and practical firing rates (i.e. recoil and reload times);
    - muzzle velocity;
    - gun's max range;
    - gun's additional drag coefficients (left/right, up/down and front/rear for guns selectable as U-boat upgrades).

• Realistic ammo outfits for each gun:
    - round types;
    - number of round carried for each type;
    - number of rounds held per magazine.

• New shell definitions, reflecting different ammo used with different guns of the same caliber, with realistic damage figures:
    - detonation range;
    - min and max damage effects;
    - armour penetration;
    - min and max radius.

• Reworked FX:
    - different sounds for each of the main guns used in game (especially for sub's guns);
    - if needed: improved/new GFX effects for guns and shells featured.

• Reworked damage zones for ships and guns whose historical armour figures are known:
    - new zone definitions with realistic armour settings;
    - if needed: reworked/improved damage zones to reflect available historical data and expected sinking dynamics (including both vanilla and recently imported dat units).

• New ship definitions, with different and realistic gun equipments for each of the nations that operated them:
    - when needed: existing units cloned to reflect subclasses or different riggings/equipments of the same unit (for both GR2 and inported dat units);
    - if needed: revised ship's specs to reflect available historical data and expected in game behaviour (for both existing GR2 and dat units and their clones);
    - when needed: revised ship's equipment to reflect different armament outfits during the war and for different nations;
    - cloned units assigned in roster to the nations that historically used them.

In future, I could decide to make similar changes to torpedo / depth charges / aircraft weapon's systems.

This is the list of mods that, with permission by their respective authors, my project should be based on for maximum compatibility with (and among) them:

Moreover, selected features and fixes from the following old mods will be possibly included in the present mod (again, granted that permission to do so will be given by their original authors):

If you think that my list is missing any important mod that the present project might conflict with, or that shoud be included in it anyway, please let me know and I will get in touch with its author.

Indeed, I am also open to anyone wanting to co-work with me on this project and to any suggestion or complaint about pertinent aspects of the game that need still to be addressed.

I rely on your inputs, guys

================================================== ========

EDIT:

this mod is still in its alpha stage. At this moment only few of the aforementioned aspects have been addressed with separate patches that will be merged in the final release of the mod. You can get their latest versions from the following links:

Rongel's Torpedo malfunctions test v 2
download link and realease notes available HERE
NOT COMPATIBLE WITH LATEST TORPEDO FAILURE PATCHES BY TDW

Armaments & equipments patch v 0.2
download link and realease notes available HERE

Thank you for testing!
WOW
U-190 is offline   Reply With Quote