SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-20-21, 03:59 PM   #1006
Lonny007
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 982
Uploads: 0
Default Steam Trawler no sound in Sonar?

Wow they Did a Awesome Job with this Mod, also seems very stable too!

A few quick questions was following 3 British Steam Trawlers and there was absolutely no sound coming from them or any trace of sound from them on sonar. I would assume a Steam Trawler makes noise correct? Is this a bug not fixed yet?

I had my cannon manned but see no men on deck manning the cannon, should i see men manning the cannon with this Dark Waters Mod.

Thank You for this Awesome SH Mod, Very impressive!
Lonny007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-21, 10:05 AM   #1007
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonny007 View Post
Wow they Did a Awesome Job with this Mod, also seems very stable too!

A few quick questions was following 3 British Steam Trawlers and there was absolutely no sound coming from them or any trace of sound from them on sonar. I would assume a Steam Trawler makes noise correct? Is this a bug not fixed yet?
there is a feature of SH4 that certain unit types do not have a sonar signature. if you were playing the US-side in the Pacific, those ships would be fishing vessels, junks, crab boats, etc.

Quote:
I had my cannon manned but see no men on deck manning the cannon, should i see men manning the cannon with this Dark Waters Mod.
yes, you should see crew manning your deck gun.
reply with your config, boat, flotilla, and base info, and we can try and recreate the situation. your config is available by using JGSME-Tasks-Export-To Clipboard.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-21, 01:42 PM   #1008
qastokes
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Freeze on loading screen

Hi all!
First time back to subsimming in a decade! (extremely excited)
Downloaded SH4 from steam, have the 1.5 uboat version from steam. Running win10 desktop AMD Ryzen 7 with Radeon rx5600xt

SH4 wont load with Dark Waters mod installed from JSGME, with LAA on sh4.exe. Tried with win 7 compatibility (& vista sp2) and no change.

It plays the intro video, runs the loading bar to 100% then sits there indefinitely.

Game works as stock or with GFO and RSRDC. A few bugs but no CTD's so far. Just stalling out on the install with OM;DW.

Will be playing around with FotRSU, but really excited for that global U-boot experience!

If there is anything I can try to get this mod working, i'd really like to know. Thanks!

(This looks really damn cool!)
Old 04-23-21, 01:50 PM   #1009
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

I had a similar post to this:

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...26#post2743026

where I had pictures, which make a "description" much easier... but I can't find it... but check the "Properties" and "Compatibility" tab for that full-screen optimization and the Change high DPI behavior stuff...

Edit: Found it

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...54#post2738754

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna

Last edited by propbeanie; 04-23-21 at 01:53 PM. Reason: Found it!
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-21, 05:47 PM   #1010
qastokes
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default works now, and some questions about the mod

propbenie,
first try with your settings advice blue screened windows, but second try got the game working!

On another front, wondering about a few things with the mod as I play with it.
does the gramaphone/radio play into passive detection?
Somehow this is the first and most important detail I'm wondering about for no especially coherent reason. Rigging for silent while blaring some oldies has real montage esque aesthetic appeal to me, but its not the most realistic scenario to follow in a high realism mod. So I want to check in that I can trust it, or not if that is the case.
Next is it seems all new crew members don't cost renown? Men I take off the boat do, but everyone else including officers dont? (else I think they do cost renown, but dont display the cost?)I'm on a type IIb doing the training.
(another minor crew bug is port roster duplicated a crew member i added to my boat named Emil Gustav R Moller. name and stats.)
Last thing, how do I find range without a stadimeter? Or how do I access stadimeter/add one? Recognize ship/dial height/stadimeter angle/range is one of the best bits of immersive gameplay. I want to make sure I know how to use this mod properly before messing with a bunch of optics mods etc.
Old 04-23-21, 07:10 PM   #1011
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by qastokes View Post
does the gramaphone/radio play into passive detection?
Somehow this is the first and most important detail I'm wondering about for no especially coherent reason. Rigging for silent while blaring some oldies has real montage esque aesthetic appeal to me, but its not the most realistic scenario to follow in a high realism mod. So I want to check in that I can trust it, or not if that is the case.
no, neither the gramophone nor the cook nor the guys having a conversation have an effect on your boat being detected passively by the enemy. so, rock on, if that's your thing.
Quote:
Next is it seems all new crew members don't cost renown? Men I take off the boat do, but everyone else including officers dont? (else I think they do cost renown, but dont display the cost?)I'm on a type IIb doing the training.
not sure what you mean. while you are in port, if you see an available human in the left side panel, there will be a cost-in-renown shown, even if it is zero.

Quote:
(another minor crew bug is port roster duplicated a crew member i added to my boat named Emil Gustav R Moller. name and stats.)
yes, this can happen. it is because the name pool is sort of small. i have edited my version and you can learn that later on. for now, you have to live with crew using the same names.
Quote:
Last thing, how do I find range without a stadimeter? Or how do I access stadimeter/add one? Recognize ship/dial height/stadimeter angle/range is one of the best bits of immersive gameplay. I want to make sure I know how to use this mod properly before messing with a bunch of optics mods etc.
i cannot help you with this because i use auto-targeting and one of the scopes has a built-in stadimeter. you might want to start out using auto until you learn the ropes and then try your hand at manual targeting.
good luck, Herr Kaleun

LAA enabled
Old 04-23-21, 10:34 PM   #1012
DeathOrGlory
Swabbie

Downloads: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post

i cannot help you with this because i use auto-targeting

I never would've guessed that, herr Kaleun!
DeathOrGlory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-21, 10:43 PM   #1013
qastokes
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Campaign bugs report

third mission of a IIc training campaign (after leaving objectives incomplete in mission 2) was a mission statement in French to do reconnaissance of perth/fremantle leaving from Kiel!
... Yes, in a IIc
After a good laugh at the irony I and loaded the end of mission one save point and continued on my merry way replaying mission two, getting all the kills needed with an IIc's only 5 torpedos, duds and no deck gun is proving impossible so far. Mission three has repeated after returning to port without completing mission two, the mission three is the same bugged one to Perth Australia.
Spamming resaves I managed it and the third mission was still to perth, instead of the convoy hunt training promised by the mission radio broadcast!
EDIT update: Tried the IID 27th training flotilla 4/41 and encountered the same third mission bug to PerthxFreemantle. So the bug wasn't unique to that save/campaign run.
EDIT2: Played the early training mission type IIB and had a "No primary objectives found" error. I'm assuming all the training missions are therefore bugged in the campaign scripting in one way or another. (Transferring base doesn't seem to help)

so TL;DR
1)Training mission 2 in a IIC is a bit on the perfectionistic side, 3 kills needed with 5 torps is tricky. Adding an intentional resupply/refit to restore torps might make this mission more fun and informative on an IIC, along with easier. (being the by design training boat, IIC is the natural day one for a fully immersive campaign.)
2)Bug with IIC training campaign mission 3 prevents advancement & completion. Pretty sure I started training flotilla 4/40.

Last edited by qastokes; 04-26-21 at 09:05 PM.
Old 04-23-21, 10:54 PM   #1014
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathOrGlory View Post
[/U][/I][/B]

I never would've guessed that, herr Kaleun!
i train my crew...and they execute my orders with that training.
it is the way.

LAA enabled
Old 04-24-21, 01:17 AM   #1015
qastokes
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
i cannot help you with this because i use auto-targeting and one of the scopes has a built-in stadimeter. you might want to start out using auto until you learn the ropes and then try your hand at manual targeting.
I played manual with a stadimeter ages ago, I'm rusty as hell but have the jist of the technique. The attack periscope on the IIC/D I'm playing has a angle measure for vertical, so I can in theory range calculate the stadimeter math by hand, but thats no fun. Playing around I think there's a button for it, but it doesn't work? > only works when looking at a target. And the way the stadimeter works is different from what I'm used to. :/
Cant figure out how to use all the tools in the mod yet.
Once I really get it dialed in I may write a manual targeting guide, as none of the guides I've ever read teach it in the way I think it should be understood. I want a manual targeting theory guide, not a manual targeting workflow.
Until then il I'll need to play with KiUB, & hopefully find a guide written to this toolset specifically.

Quote:
i train my crew...and they execute my orders with that training.
it is the way.
I could never trust my crew with such important duties as sending death into the water, moreover I've never gotten good at training them up to do it right!
Old 04-24-21, 03:19 AM   #1016
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

qastokes!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-21, 03:42 PM   #1017
snak3gam3r!
Swabbie

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathOrGlory View Post
Is it possible to get medals and promotions for yourself in DW? I have sunk 30,0000+ tons in my current career and have completed multiple patrols yet I have not received any medals for myself (or my crew!).

Wondering if it's possible to get promoted to Kapitain Leutnant as well.
Yes, you can. However, yu definitely have to play really good and make a huge effort. So, it's not exactly an easy task.
snak3gam3r! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-21, 04:48 PM   #1018
Lonny007
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 982

Thank you for the speedy reply KaleunMarco, I thought the man deck gun button was all I needed to do to crew the deck gun, (been awhile since playing SH3 and SH4) I forgot to actual fill up the slots with men first.

Does this Mod have thermal layers like Vanilla SH4?

Very impressed with Dark Waters, this is how I always wanted SH3 to be. Also No CTD with Dark Waters Mod & also loads fast too compared with the latest SH3 Mods and the CTDs I experienced 1st day with all the latest SH3 Super Mods. I hate CTDs!

Dark Waters is a Definite Keeper Outstanding Mod!
Lonny007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-21, 06:57 PM   #1019
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonny007 View Post

Does this Mod have thermal layers like Vanilla SH4?
Yes. Thermals are part of the SH4 design.

LAA enabled
Old 04-29-21, 12:44 AM   #1020
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 452

A big thank you to Kaleun Marco for keeping answering questions in this thread
(Not forgetting our « professor » Propbeanie!)

And thank you guys for your kind words about this mod, but lets not forget master Lurker did the hardest part with Operation Monsun!

Fifi is offline   Reply With Quote