SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-08-19, 01:59 AM   #1
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 452
Uploads: 0

Default Attack periscope...who is right?

Hi all,

I don’t know where to ask this, in SH3 or SH4...so finally here it is:

It’s about periscopes position in the U-Boat type II.
OM has the attack periscope at the front tube.
WAC has the attack periscope at the rear tube.
KSD has the attack periscope at the front tube.
GWX has the attack periscope at the rear tube...

So wich one is right? I believe there can be only one good position!

Re-working OM type II U-Boat, i need to clear this out... and didn’t find satisfying answer on the web so far
Fifi is online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-19, 07:45 AM   #2
JapLance
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I think you will find more U-boot experts in the SH3 forum .
Old 06-08-19, 11:31 AM   #3
hauangua
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifi View Post
Hi all,

I don’t know where to ask this, in SH3 or SH4...so finally here it is:

It’s about periscopes position in the U-Boat type II.
OM has the attack periscope at the front tube.
WAC has the attack periscope at the rear tube.
KSD has the attack periscope at the front tube.
GWX has the attack periscope at the rear tube..

So wich one is right? I believe there can be only one good position!

Re-working OM type II U-Boat, i need to clear this out... and didn’t find satisfying answer on the web so far
Hi Fifi, by Wikipedia

"The Type IIA was a single hull, all welded boat with internal ballast tanks. Compared to the other variants, it had a smaller bridge and could carry the German G7a, G7e torpedoes as well as TM-type torpedo mines. There were two periscopes in the conning tower; an aerial (navigation) periscope at the front of the tower, and an attack periscope in the middle of the tower. There were serrated net cutters in the bow. The net cutters were adopted from World War 1 boats but were quickly discontinued during World War 2."

Last edited by hauangua; 06-08-19 at 12:23 PM.
hauangua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-19, 12:07 PM   #4
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

From the plan drawing

it looks like the rear tube is the attack periscope. Some photographs show a raised fixed housing in the rear, and the plan seems to show that as well. It also looks as if the viewing positions of both 'scopes are in the control room, not the conning tower.
Old 06-08-19, 01:24 PM   #5
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 452

Ok, thanks guys...so i think i will go for the attack in the rear tube.
Seems also kind of logical...but...strange thing is OM and KSD have both attack one in the front
Maybe an error or something ...
Fifi is online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-19, 02:25 PM   #6
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

https://www.uboataces.com/uboat-type-ii.shtml
Quote:
The Type IIA was a single hull, all welded boat with internal ballast tanks. Compared to the other variants, it had a smaller bridge and could carry the German G7a, G7e torpedoes as well as TM-type torpedo mines. There was a single periscope in the conning tower with serrated net cutters in the bow.
Quote:
IIC:The Type IIC was a further lengthened version of the Type IIB with an additional two compartments inserted amidships to accomodate improved radio room facilities and a second periscope. The additional diesel tanks beneath the control room was further enlarged, extending the range to 1,900 nautical miles at 12 knots.
U-57 TYPE II-C https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_submarine_U-57_(1938) THERE WERE 8 BOATS OF THIS TYPE AND EVERY ONE OF THEM SANK A WHOLE LOTTA SOMETHING! U-57 SANK 13 VESSELS AND DAMAGED TWO
Summary of raiding history

Date Ship Nationality Tonnage: 17 November 1939 Kaunas Lithuania 1,566 Sunk 19 November 1939 Stanbrook United Kingdom 1,383 Sunk 13 December 1939 Mina Estonia 1,173 Sunk 20 January 1940 Miranda Norway 1,328 Sunk 26 January 1940 HMS Durham Castle Royal Navy 8,240 Sunk (mine) 14 February 1940 Gretafield United Kingdom 10,191 Total loss 21 February 1940 Loch Maddy United Kingdom 4,996 Damaged 25 March 1940 Daghestan United Kingdom 5,742 Sunk 17 July 1940 Manipur United Kingdom 8,652 Sunk 17 July 1940 O.A. Brodin Sweden 1,960 Sunk 3 August 1940 Atos Sweden 2,161 Sunk 24 August 1940 Cumberland United Kingdom 10,939 Sunk 24 August 1940 Havildar United Kingdom 5,407 Damaged 24 August 1940 Saint Dunstan United Kingdom 5,681 Sunk 25 August 1940 Pecten United Kingdom
7,468 Sunk NOTE:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAILOR STEVE
it looks like the rear tube is the attack periscope. Some photographs show a raised fixed housing in the rear, and the plan seems to show that as well. It also looks as if the viewing positions of both 'scopes are in the control room, not the conning tower.
I TRIED TO FIND A BLUEPRINT BUT IN LOOKING CLOSELY AT YOUR PLAN, I ALSO THINK THE ATTACK SCOPE IS USED IN THE CONTROL ROOM BUT IS THE FRONT (SMALLER HEAD LESS WAKE?) SCOPE...

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-19, 03:54 PM   #7
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifi View Post
Ok, thanks guys...so i think i will go for the attack in the rear tube.
Seems also kind of logical...but...strange thing is OM and KSD have both attack one in the front
Maybe an error or something ...
i think most mods go for realistic placement of things but i do recall in some cases the game files can have glitches that cause issues that arent readily easy to spot.

double check the rear position allows for you to see well as that could be a guess why it was moved to the front in some mods, not saying it is, but i do recall a thread many years ago mentioning the obs scope getting in the way of the attack scope views in certain situations because it didnt lower as far as it was supposed to. as i recall, they adjusted the xyz positioning to fix that with some mods
Old 10-28-20, 12:01 PM   #8
andyn
Swabbie

Downloads: 13
Icon9

Hi, a longtime lurker (and mostly a DW player) here. Sorry for bumping an old thread, but Wikipedia has it wrong. I actually found that confusing quote there and found this thread while I was looking for a proper source. This is probably a case of an editor overinterpreting stuff and then mixing up information regarding the Type VII sub when making corrections.

The plans, 3D render, mods and the CV707/IIA museum are all correct. The attack periscope is the higher forward one and it passes through the middle of the conning tower, where it is operated alongside the torpedo repeaters. The one in the museum lacks the cover tube inside the control room, but you can clearly see the mounting flanges for it.

The aft observation periscope is used in the control room and the periscope mast passes through the rear of the conning tower superstructure but not the pressure hull of the tower itself. For reference, the hatch to the bridge is in the very rear end of the tower. There was never room for a new scope in the conning tower itself. This is the case of mis-/overinterpretation I mentioned above – neither did the editor provide any sources with that edit.

If you look at detailed pictures of various designs side by side, you can see that the enlarged bridge superstructure in the IIC design has been extended forwards and the scopes have not been moved wrt. the hull. This makes it just too easy to think that the newer models actually got a new aft scope.

Quote:
The plans clearly do not support those claims...
andyn is offline   Reply With Quote