SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop > DW Mission Designers' Forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-27-07, 01:31 PM   #1
Hawk66
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 36
Uploads: 0
P3 dynamic mission

Hi guys,

I wanna create a dynamic mission for my favorite plane in DW: P3.
Dynamic mission means, that the objectives varies every time you start the mission..you know the stuff.

If you have any great ideas -apart from the usual stuff- which could be included, let me know.
Hawk66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-07, 04:15 PM   #2
ASWnut101
Admiral

Downloads: 9

Well, what do you consider the 'usual' stuff?:hmm:

ASWnut101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-07, 04:41 PM   #3
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 5

An aircraft generally sorties already knowing what its mission is. So, dynamic elements of such a mission should focus on things that occur unexpectedly.

I would rule out most strike and convoy/fleet defense missions based on this. However, you might respond to transiting subs being detected by SOSUS nets while transiting, protecting a downed pilot from surface threats, locating a vessel suspected of piracy.

Another way to work in something dynamic might be to have to track a detected sub contact, and to have the mission objectives based on what the sub does (i.e. tracking on a certain course indicates no threat, while another sub might be positioning for an attack and is declared hostile). Subs transiting to certain areas might give hints about an adversaries strategic objectives, which might call for a time-sensitive recon mission as well.
Old 02-28-07, 01:37 PM   #4
Hawk66
Samurai Navy

@Molon: Thanks for your ideas, I like the idea with the downed pilot.

Personally I've a (fictional) cold-war scenario around Keflavik in my mind.
Old 03-11-07, 04:00 PM   #5
Hawk66
Samurai Navy

Since this scenario will be around the GIUK gap: Can you provide me with any ideas, how to model SOSUS in a realistic way? A sonobouy field ?

Thx.
Old 03-11-07, 06:14 PM   #6
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 5

I wouldn't try to directly integrate it. To me, the way SOSUS would interact with the commander at sea would be in the form of intelligence updates, rather than datalinked data (although perhaps datalink is possible..I don't know). But simply reporting the position of specific platforms to the playable at an appropriate time should work just fine.
Old 03-18-07, 06:12 PM   #7
kage
Helmsman

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon Labe
I wouldn't try to directly integrate it. To me, the way SOSUS would interact with the commander at sea would be in the form of intelligence updates, rather than datalinked data (although perhaps datalink is possible..I don't know). But simply reporting the position of specific platforms to the playable at an appropriate time should work just fine.
Make sure that you verify they are good. I have had radio reports of that kind come in on a target that was at a completely different course and than the mission designer had anticipated, and were therefore dead wrong.

http://www.xfire.com/clans/dwobjective/ for those who like playing objectives-based missions. (As opposed to deathmatches)
kage is offline   Reply With Quote