SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-12-08, 08:56 PM   #16
irish1958
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 320
Uploads: 11

GWX 2.1 makes it a lot better, but the 15m/s wind with very heavy seas is still a problem.
Old 03-12-08, 11:11 PM   #17
Rubini
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 132
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish1958
GWX 2.1 makes it a lot better, but the 15m/s wind with very heavy seas is still a problem.
Probably because it already have RWF inside it?

BTW, I just update the mod for version 2, the last one (just small changes). See first post.
Old 03-12-08, 11:35 PM   #18
Venatore
Admiral

Downloads: 68

Rubini,

Thank you for your hard work on this mod and again for the detailed post at the beginning explaining everything.

This mod may not have all the sexy pictures that are usually associated with mods, but this mod can deliver more than most mods because it allows players to enjoy the game instead of looking at little rain streaks on the PC screen for days on end.

I thank you very much.

Ven
Venatore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-08, 12:23 AM   #19
Subtype Zero
Lieutenant

Downloads: 7
Fantastic job, Rubini!

It is getting much past my siesta time, so I won't say much here, but this mod sounds intriguing, to say the least. I will resolve to d/l and test it as soon as possible.

Rubini, I am curious as to how you "fool" SH3 into changing the weather conditions from heavy rain, wind, and fog to medium fog. This is more than just a graphics trick, isn't it? For example, does the wind decrease from 15 m/sec to a slower speed, or is the wind still the same but the waves reduced in intensity to look like there is less wind? You may PM me if you wish to avoid revealing any state secrets!

I'll write later with more general impressions, but so far I approve of this mod!

Subtype Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-08, 12:29 AM   #20
Philipp_Thomsen
Old Gang

Downloads: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubini

So, what this mod does?
It cuts the bad weather if necessary, instantenously!
Cheater... :rotfl:
Old 03-13-08, 01:01 AM   #21
mikaelanderlund
Captain

Downloads: 267

Hi Rubini
Thanks for this needed mod . A normal storm in atlantic last for one or maybe two days, no more. I know.

Mikael
mikaelanderlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-08, 06:57 AM   #22
Tomi_099
The Old Man

Downloads: 426
Default Good Good Very Good !!!

Very much Very much property, but gives me snow !!
Tomi_099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-08, 09:09 AM   #23
Rubini
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subtype Zero
Fantastic job, Rubini!

It is getting much past my siesta time, so I won't say much here, but this mod sounds intriguing, to say the least. I will resolve to d/l and test it as soon as possible.

Rubini, I am curious as to how you "fool" SH3 into changing the weather conditions from heavy rain, wind, and fog to medium fog. This is more than just a graphics trick, isn't it? For example, does the wind decrease from 15 m/sec to a slower speed, or is the wind still the same but the waves reduced in intensity to look like there is less wind? You may PM me if you wish to avoid revealing any state secrets!

I'll write later with more general impressions, but so far I approve of this mod!
Hi Subtype,

Nice to talk with you. We are at the same matter, I really should like to talk with you and Stiebler. First of all, as you read, the "Stop the rain!" mod is just an emergency mod, aimed to be used only eventually if you are really stuck at that endless storms.

As I have no secrets in mods matter, I always tried to share the most that i can. So, what i made on scene.dat is just fool the game: the heavy fog environments settings are swap by the medium fog ones. About the wind, yes, i just tonned down the waves state not the wind itself. Only for the rain that i discovered how to not generate (it's now in truth just a drizzle). But nothing more was discovered on the weather issue. I know the same as you after that excellent research that you and Stiebler's did.

The beautiful of the Stop the rain! is exactly how it can fool the game without any side effect. It's a shame that the devs never fixed this problem.

I used the Stop the rain! in my last two long trip patrols (twice) and it really save my patrol and my patient with the game. That endless storms are really annoying and boring.

Cheers mate!

Rubini.
Old 03-13-08, 01:18 PM   #24
Rubini
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venatore
Rubini,

Thank you for your hard work on this mod and again for the detailed post at the beginning explaining everything.

This mod may not have all the sexy pictures that are usually associated with mods, but this mod can deliver more than most mods because it allows players to enjoy the game instead of looking at little rain streaks on the PC screen for days on end.

I thank you very much.

Ven
Thanks mate for the comment. What you said is exactly for what this mod is.
Old 03-13-08, 02:07 PM   #25
Uber Gruber
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Hi Rubini,

Maybe i'm a little confused (very possible) but is this compatible with Reece's SH4 Scene for SH3 mod (16K version) ? I.e. does it modify the scene.dat file or completely replace it ?

Cheers
Old 03-13-08, 04:14 PM   #26
Rubini
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber Gruber
Hi Rubini,

Maybe i'm a little confused (very possible) but is this compatible with Reece's SH4 Scene for SH3 mod (16K version) ? I.e. does it modify the scene.dat file or completely replace it ?

Cheers
Hi UG,

The mod will replace the entire scene.dat. Oviously only for a "short time" while you wait by some change on the weather. So, during this time you can notice some differences (in color/reflection) from your preferred scene.dat. But as it is in the medium fog (an already almost grey environment) I guess that you probably will not notice it.
Old 03-13-08, 06:33 PM   #27
irish1958
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 320
Uploads: 11

Down with Hillary and Obama; RUBINI FOR PRESIDENT!
Old 03-13-08, 06:47 PM   #28
Madox58
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Sorry Irish,
He's not native born to the U.S.A.
Same reason "The Terminator" can't run.

:rotfl:
Old 03-13-08, 07:51 PM   #29
Rubini
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish1958
Down with Hillary and Obama; RUBINI FOR PRESIDENT!
LMAO!!!
Old 03-13-08, 09:25 PM   #30
Subtype Zero
Lieutenant

Downloads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubini
So, what i made on scene.dat is just fool the game: the heavy fog environments settings are swap by the medium fog ones. About the wind, yes, i just tonned down the waves state not the wind itself. Only for the rain that i discovered how to not generate (it's now in truth just a drizzle). But nothing more was discovered on the weather issue.
Can you share with us how you swapped the heavy fog with medium fog? Stiebler and I did not find any specific fog settings in scene.dat, just different variables such as RainIntensityChangeSpeed, etc. for controlling the speed of change for rain, wind, etc. Can you point me to the name of the variable that controls the intensity of the fog? Secondly, and on the same note, how did you "turn off' the rain? What setting controls that?

Finally, to avoid the temptation to use this mod as a cheat, I would recommend using a six-sided die to roll for a improvement in the weather in cases when it has been raining for more than 2 days. For example, at the beginning of the third day of heavy rain, roll a die. If you roll a 5 or 6, apply Rubini's mod. If not, continue with heavy rain for 24 hours or until the weather naturally improves. If the weather still has not improved, roll the dice again. This time, apply Rubini's mod unless you roll a 1 or a 2. After that, roll the dice every 24 hours and do not apply the mod only if you roll a 1. This way, you have a one-third chance of ending the rain after 2 days, a two-thirds chance of ending the rain after 3 days, and a five-sixths chance (83.33%) of ending the rain after 4 or more days. At most, you will get a run of 5 or 6 days of bad weather (rare, but not unheard of in the North Atlantic).

I still haven't had time to test the mod, but it still sounds very interesting.

Subtype Zero is offline   Reply With Quote