SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-26-07, 06:39 PM   #1
dertien
Lieutenant

Downloads: 130
Uploads: 0
Default German Whizz Weel in Flash and exe available

Dear Kaleuns

Thanks to Hitman's templates from the German Whizz wheel (found here) , I have created a flash version which you can view here. Please be patient if you don't see the wheel straight away, it's 1,13 megabyte, so give it time to load.

The wheels can be turned by clicking and holding the the mouse on the very transparent buttons found on the wheels (those that change your mousepointer from a pointer to a dragging hand) and dragging them around.

The front/back button is obvious.

Now if someone can make a decent tutorial, on how to use this thing, it would be grand.

for those who want the offline version in exe format it can be found
here (1.88 meg). Don't worry its virus free.

Edited and Corrected thanks to Woof1701: Gute Fahrt und Fette Beute
If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea, and I have an idea and we exchange ideas each of us will have two ideas. G.B.Shaw

Last edited by dertien; 09-27-07 at 01:47 PM.
dertien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-07, 07:10 PM   #2
coronas
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 39

Great work. Dertien! Only we need a Whizz Wheel tutorial for dummys (like me)
coronas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-07, 09:16 PM   #3
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

Can this be run in SHIII, is there a hot key to bring it up?
Thanks.

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is online   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-07, 10:01 PM   #4
dertien
Lieutenant

Hello Reece,

I am very sorry old buddy, but I cannot make flash run inside the SH3 game engine AFAIK.

If you find someone who does , please let me know.

You will need to Alt-Tab out of sh3, do your computations, and alt-tab in it again.

sry.

XIII
If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea, and I have an idea and we exchange ideas each of us will have two ideas. G.B.Shaw
Old 09-27-07, 02:16 AM   #5
Alyebard
Medic

Downloads: 5

Thanks !!

Navigare necesse est, vivere non est necesse
Navegar 'es necessari. Viure no
Alyebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-07, 05:31 AM   #6
slipper
Navy Dude

Downloads: 385

Dertien

Thanks for a great mod, one question though. I downloaded the .exe version and the only parts i can move are the the two 'rotors' one with the red pointer and the one with the yellow boat, is this right. i'm not 100% sure but shouldn't the individual circles move aswell ? the same on the back to.

regards slipper
slipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-07, 05:57 AM   #7
Friedl9te
Lieutenant

Downloads: 37

Thanks for this great mod. Could you please make a Swastika-free Version. As you know in Austria and German this Symbol is forbidden and it is not even allowed to link to such a symbol.

Thank in advance.

Friedl9te
Friedl9te SilentHunter III Help Thread (Sorry in German)
Friedl9te is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-07, 07:16 AM   #8
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Good job, but the central wheel of the front side moves together with the pointer with a (yellow in your wheel) ship silhouette. Serves for indicating the true course of the ship's silhouette in the middle wheel.
Old 09-27-07, 11:43 AM   #9
von Zelda
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipper
the only parts i can move are the the two 'rotors' one with the red pointer and the one with the yellow boat, is this right. i'm not 100% sure but shouldn't the individual circles move aswell ?
I found that if you place the pointer (curser) on or about the 90-degree mark on the inner circles, you'll see a little hand and they all will rotate.

I assume that you set the yellow boat (target) on its true course on the outer circle. And that you set the red pointer (your course) on the outer circle as well. And thus by rotating and alligning the inner circles properly, one would get a fix on the AOB of the course intercept point as well as an AOB on the target allowing for its bearing to your boat.

A tutorial on how all these markers and circles function would be real nice. Are there any other assumptions or opinions on how it works?
Old 09-27-07, 12:56 PM   #10
slipper
Navy Dude

Downloads: 385

Von Zelda, Thanks mate.Just had another look and got it working now,If you look closely you can see two little yellow disks on the face of the circles, and clicking on these does indeed allow you to move them

cheers

slipper

P.s It would be great if someone could post atutorial on this. And make it available in game
slipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-07, 01:28 PM   #11
dertien
Lieutenant

@ slipper and anyone else figuring out how to turn the dials

points where to drag with your mouse to turn the dials

here you go:

In the exe file (its called a flash projector file) you can set the view to 100% in the "view" menu, do this when the wheel graphics aren't clear.
If you right click on the wheel, you can zoom in on it and pan as well. Very useful for people who need glasses (like me). To pan, just hold down the left mouse button when you zoomed in and drag the mouse around). To go back to full screen view, right click and choose either

-100%
-zoom out
-show all

The yellow boat, is not yellow on the original templates from hitman. I just gave it a yellow colour in order to make it clearly visible, as this can become quite cluttered when all dials are on top of each other.

there is no drag point on the yellow boat marker, there is one just above that marker, as shown on the screenshots.
Quote:
Hitman
Good job, but the central wheel of the front side moves together with the pointer with a (yellow in your wheel) ship silhouette. Serves for indicating the true course of the ship's silhouette in the middle wheel.
I don't really see what you mean hitman, all the dials in my .exe file, which has a fairly good chance to being the same one that you have, rotate seperately.
just use the above layout to drag around your dials.

@Friedl9te

here you go:

http://files.filefront.com/Whizz+no+.../fileinfo.html

@von Zelda

You surely know how to RTFM

@Coronas

Well, I know that Wazzoo is an ace at such things, I need this tutorial too, cause I'm a noob using this wheel as well.

@Hitman

Oh, yes one last thought, Hitman, should the outer dials be able to turn as well ? It's not really necessary, but maybe a preference for some players, let me know what you think.

hangloose everyone and hope this helps !
Old 09-27-07, 05:22 PM   #12
Myxale
Admiral

Downloads: 70

This looks so sexy! Great work man...and thanx

Now i just need to lear to use it well!

Myxale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-07, 07:53 PM   #13
joegrundman
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 34

OK Let me explain. The transparent arm with the yellow boat symbol should be fixed to the wheel marked Lage so that the yellow boat always sticks out from the 0 position of the Lage wheel. If this is difficult to implement, you can always just remove the transparent arm with the yellow boat. It is no great loss.

One other minor-ish feature is that the front of the Submarine is represented on the largest wheel by a small triangle, just next to the 180 mark. you can see it at the bottom of the image.

To make the wheel more intuitive you might reverse the outermost wheel so that the front of the submarine is at the top.

The primary function of this wheel is to solve the problem of target course (although it has other functions too)

This is how to do it:

First, set your current true course on the yellow wheel so that your course is indicated by the small triangle.

Second you rotate the long thin arm, which represents your line of sight, so that one arm strikes the current relative bearing to the target on the outermost ring (i.e. the periscope view).

On the opposite side of the arm, you can read off the true bearing from North to the target on the larger of the two scales on the yellow ring. This can be immediately used for plotting.

NExt turn the wheel on the Lage ring to so that the AOB thta you have determined strikes the long thin arm. The pointer on the Lage ring, at the 0 mark, indicates the target true course.

Alternatively if you already know the target true course, you can use it to determine AOB for any given perisocpe bearing.

The last ring is the funny shaped vorhalt ring. This hasn't much use. I believe it's for manually marking your torpedo firing point when you don't have a TDC working.

I'll write about the slide rule later, but really a slide rule has a thousand functions
"Enemy submarines are to be called U-Boats. The term submarine is to be reserved for Allied under water vessels. U-Boats are those dastardly villains who sink our ships, while submarines are those gallant and noble craft which sink theirs." Winston Churchill
joegrundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-07, 06:31 AM   #14
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

What joe said
Old 09-28-07, 07:35 AM   #15
joegrundman
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 34

Thanks hitman.

The slide rule has as many functions as there are mathematical problems related to trigonometry, but I will stick to one examlpe here. Once you have fully internalised this procedure, other uses will just spontaneously leap out at you.

This procedure is to solve the Speed Problem.

The outer ring we will call Peilung
The middle ring we will call Strecke. The outer and inner circles of this wheel give distances in meters. The middle circle gives speed in knots.
and the inner ring we will call Zeit

To obtain a speed solution once you have obtained an AOB estimate (really it need not be a perfect estimate), set yourself up on an intercept course and start the stopwatch. Do not then change course or speed until the procedure is over.
Note the target AOB and the current periscope angle to target.

Find the point on the peilung ring which corresponds to the observed AOB of the target. Turn the strecke ring until your current (and constant ) speed is directly under the target AOB on the sliderule. Now look at the point on the Peilung that corresponds to the observed periscope angle (bearing) to target. Under this, on the strecke ring you will observe a different speed. This is the target speed assuming you bearing to target remains constant. i.e. you are on a collision course.

E.g. 1. Let's say you have an intercept course. The target is directly on your beam (i.e. bearing 270 = 090 on the peilung) observed AOB is starb'd 35, your speed is 4 knts

Match 4 knts to 35 on the peilung wheel,then look under 90 degrees and find a target speed of 7knts. If the bearing to the target is constant after 3-5 mins, then you are on a collision course and your target's speed is in fact 7knts.

However, let's say you pop your periscope up in 5 minutes exactly and in fact the target is now at 280 (80 on the peilung wheel).

Now you need to take a range measurement. (Let's say 1500m)

You set the measured range to target against the ORIGINAL AOB., So that's 1500m to 35 on the peilung rad.

Now you set the time interval (5 mins) on the Zeit wheel against the difference in bearing to target on the peilung rad. The difference in bearing to target is in this case 280-270=10 degrees.

The pointer on the Zeit wheel is now pointing to a speed of 3 knts. This is the speed correction. Becasue the target moved forward relative to you, you add this speed correction to the orginal speed estimate. That is 7knts +3 Knts = 10knts

Had you moved forward relative to the target, then you would have to subtract this speed correction.

That's it.
"Enemy submarines are to be called U-Boats. The term submarine is to be reserved for Allied under water vessels. U-Boats are those dastardly villains who sink our ships, while submarines are those gallant and noble craft which sink theirs." Winston Churchill
joegrundman is offline   Reply With Quote