SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-07-22, 12:04 PM   #1
Doolar
Expert Shipsinker

Downloads: 360
Uploads: 0
Default Question

I'm Doolar or Jerry in real life. I'm planning on installing SHIV. Some might recognize me from the SHIII side of SUBSIM. I have a question for ya'll, what is the DIFFERENCE between the super mods, not which is better. I would never ask that and besides I would eventually get around trying them all anyways and decide for myself. I've tried most every mod that SHIII has to offer, and all bring something different to the table. I'm sure the same goes here for SHIV. All are good. So, I just looking for the main differences here. I'll be a newbie here for a while, so I'm looking for a good balance between "game Play and Eye Candy". I would like to stay in the Pacific on US boats for starters until I get the hang of things. After that, I'll most likely venture out from there and try other Super or Mega Mods. Thanx Jerry CA45
Old 11-07-22, 01:05 PM   #2
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doolar View Post
I'm Doolar or Jerry in real life. I'm planning on installing SHIV. Some might recognize me from the SHIII side of SUBSIM. I have a question for ya'll, what is the DIFFERENCE between the super mods, not which is better. I would never ask that and besides I would eventually get around trying them all anyways and decide for myself. I've tried most every mod that SHIII has to offer, and all bring something different to the table. I'm sure the same goes here for SHIV. All are good. So, I just looking for the main differences here. I'll be a newbie here for a while, so I'm looking for a good balance between "game Play and Eye Candy". I would like to stay in the Pacific on US boats for starters until I get the hang of things. After that, I'll most likely venture out from there and try other Super or Mega Mods. Thanx Jerry CA45
jerry, welcome to SH4.
you are probably going to get a lot of varying opinions on this topic.
my suggestion is to buy a license for SH4 Version 1.5 with Uboat missions. this version will allow you to play almost all of the mega-mods that are worth playing.
i would also suggest downloading and applying GFO (game fixes only) and then play that "Stock" game for a while.
While you are playing stock, take some time and investigate these: mega-mods:
  • Original TMO (v2.5) +RSRD (trigger maru overhauled and run silent run deep)
  • TMO ala BH (bubblehead1980)
  • FOTRSU (fall of the rising sun ultimate by s7rikeback and propbeanie)
  • and when you want to go back to the ATO for some new German experiences, Dark Waters.

good luck and have fun!

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is online   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-22, 02:23 PM   #3
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Hey Jerry! Good to see you over on the "dark side"... lol Most of the mods you will find are for SH4 v1.5 (Gold Edition - with U-Boat Missions) and are US Pacific-based, but if you do not want to wander too far from the U-Boat side of things, then you want Dark Waters, which is what Fifi did to lurker_hlb3's Operation Monsun mod. Maybe you might want to try Niume's reworking of Knights of the Sea Depths II:Ace Edition. Both are world-wide mods with the player driving U-Boats. Both have their strong points, and their not-so-strong points. Both are similar to SH3, but with SH4 "updates" that offer a slightly better gameplay, but SH4 does lose that claustrophobic feeling of SH3 somehow. "Atmosphere" also maybe??

For the US side of things, there is Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate (FotRSU), which is based on the AOTD_MadMax team's Fall Of The Rising Sun (FOTRS) mod, which in turn, is based on TMO v1.7 (Trigger Maru Overhauled) - I'm using base terms to describe the mods though... FotRSU is a "pretty" mod that attempts gameplay for realism... ?? It has a rather large Roster of ships, planes and submarines. Another choice would be Bubblehead1980's reworking of TMO in Trigger Maru Overhauled Update BH, which is based on TMO also. TMO was originally a difficulty mod, but Bubblehead1980 liberally borrowed from other mods, including FotRSU for a larger asset Roster. There are some issues with CTD, apparently most likely due to the use of an add-in mod based on a "EAX_Clang_Splash TMO" combo. I have not had time to play the mod lately, and have not tried to find the issue. Then of course, there are the original mods of OpMonsun (lurker_hlb3) and Trigger Maru (Ducimus), both of which have a lot of possible add-ins and various version available. The Run Silent Run Deep Campaign (RSRDC) mod is an add-on for both of those and / or the Stock game, and has a lot of "historical" groupings in the campaign files. Another mod you might want to consider is Real Fleet Boat (RFB), which the Stock version of RSRDC can sit on top of. RFB attempts realism in the submarines' mechanics, and you can die easily, especially in an S-Boat, in which a rusted hull is simulated. You might make it to test depth, then again, maybe not... lol

There are other mods out there, such as lurker_hlb3's We Dive at Dawn (British subs, but not quite a finished product), among others, that are not US or German based. Whatever you do, use MultiSH4 to create new, unique Save folder names, and use multiple copies of your SH4 install for the different mods to help you sort through them all. Most of the newer mods will require the use of the 4Gig Patch or LAA to gain access to more RAM.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-22, 12:33 AM   #4
Doolar
Expert Shipsinker

Downloads: 360
Default Re

I have a DVD of Silent Hunter IV Gold Edition. Is that version 1.5 ?
Old 11-08-22, 01:59 AM   #5
boapiu
Seaman

Downloads: 51

Affirmative. Gold edition should be version 1.5
boapiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-22, 10:12 AM   #6
1Patriotofmany
Commander

Downloads: 95

There's also a japanese sub mod, Darkwaters and KDS take the german side to even more reality.
The graphics on some of these mods will blow you away from SHIII. Darkwaters has great storm lightning, fog ect.....
1Patriotofmany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-22, 08:43 PM   #7
Weasel665
Watch

Downloads: 404

Jerry try below links for one stop shopping for entry level SH4 from The Berbster

More Advanced Mod List For SH4
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...22&postcount=4

All In One Beginners Mega Mod List For SH4
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=233131

I run FOtRSU for US experience and KSDII for German

If you want to run multiple SH4 installs check out below
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/dow...o=file&id=5125

Weasel665 is offline   Reply With Quote