SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-27-20, 09:50 PM   #1
XJadynX
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Can't figure out how to target manually.

I've tried reading the books and tutorials. I've hunted online for Youtube vids but F me if I cannot figure out how to do this. Most vids do NOT help as people do things off video like calculate speed. Other's don't speak English or just play music while using text.

I've watched wolf play and he brings up all these tools and what not I can't figure out how to bring up. I pull up the book and all I get is warships.. I know there is another book but how do I access it? God I feel so stupid...... Help? Someone point me to a good video to watch on how to do this?

I am using the Commander mod, and the Grey wolves mod. Mainly because that's all that still have working download links.
Old 07-27-20, 10:25 PM   #2
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Default Welcome aboard!

XJadynX,

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-20, 11:42 PM   #3
XJadynX
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Great, The training works but career is crashing to desktop....
Old 07-28-20, 04:15 AM   #4
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

Did you apply any mods to the game? And did you do this while the campaign was already started with a patrol? Or under what conditions did your game crash? (there are some savegame condition guidelines to deal with bugs)

There is an entire guide in the back of the GWX3 mod manual (in documentation folder) dedicated to manual targeting. Did you follow that?

The recognition manual in game is the one you need. (N-key or clicking ESB that is hiding on the side of the screen) But instead of the warships you should be able to cycle with arrow buttons on the manual to a chapter for civilian ships. Then cycle with the arrows in the book to the page that matches the type. Lock to the ship in the view and place the checkmark. (it's been too long since I used it. my memory may be off on what it looked like)

I don't know exactly what measurements or calculations are done in the videos that you saw. The notepad procedure provided in the game and described in the manual doesn't really need calculation by you. But it may be tricky to get correct TDC settings with it. If your range calculation is off to begin with, so will the speed of the target be off later down the line.

Other userinterface mods provide tools on the screen to calculate AOB based on how large the target looks in the view. If you don't have those then you need to estimate by eye. The angle on the bow is the angle the target captain needs to turn his head (from his bow) to you. Some specific angles have tell-tale signs. An angle of 30 degrees will look halve as wide as it would look when side-on. Smaller angles are proportionally narrower, 15 degrees looks like a 1/4th of the width. Beyond 30 degrees the relation isn't so straight anymore. 45 degrees looks like it's 70% of the width. AOB 65 degrees is about 90% of the width. This reaches 100% of the width as you get closer to 90 degrees. You may see side-by-side masts or walls on it begin to hide to indicate when you are looking exactly side on 90 degrees AOB. With practice your ability and accuracy in this will improve.

What may have been calculated in the video is the speed of the target based on knowing only its length. If you are not moving, or if you are moving then only looking along your 0 or 180 bearing to the target (requires to be turned), then it takes the target a certain time to pass the wire based on it's length. This works best if you can look at the target from it's side as you can clearly see the beginning of the bow and stern and not have it occluded. Then a simple calculation can be done to determine it's speed: divide the target length from the manual, by the time of it's passage in seconds. This is speed in meters per seconds. If you multiply that by 1.94 (or just 2 accurate for government work) then you get the speed in knots. You can do that with a hand held calculator if you want.

The same calculation may have been done to calculate distance moved between plotted points on the map over a certain time. For this a specific time interval between plots is handy. 3 minutes and 15 seconds.In that time the target moves a couple of times 100m equal to it's speed in knots. So if it moved around 600m in that timeframe, then it's speed is 6 knots (give or take). The exact time interval is 194.4 seconds, but 3m 15s is very close and is easily marked on the stopwatch. And adds up nicely to 6m30s, 9m45s and 13m where you can average out the distance moved between plots. And divide accordingly by 2,3 or 4 to get the proper speed in 1 interval with a bit more precision.

Last edited by Pisces; 07-28-20 at 04:33 AM.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-20, 05:14 AM   #5
bstanko6
Admiral

Downloads: 390
Uploads: 13

Click my signature. I made many videos about manual targeting. I separated each part for learning!

DISCORD
https://discord.gg/6tFeTSUmVc
bstanko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-20, 08:37 AM   #6
Paul Riley
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 163

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces View Post
Did you apply any mods to the game? And did you do this while the campaign was already started with a patrol? Or under what conditions did your game crash? (there are some savegame condition guidelines to deal with bugs)

There is an entire guide in the back of the GWX3 mod manual (in documentation folder) dedicated to manual targeting. Did you follow that?

The recognition manual in game is the one you need. (N-key or clicking ESB that is hiding on the side of the screen) But instead of the warships you should be able to cycle with arrow buttons on the manual to a chapter for civilian ships. Then cycle with the arrows in the book to the page that matches the type. Lock to the ship in the view and place the checkmark. (it's been too long since I used it. my memory may be off on what it looked like)

I don't know exactly what measurements or calculations are done in the videos that you saw. The notepad procedure provided in the game and described in the manual doesn't really need calculation by you. But it may be tricky to get correct TDC settings with it. If your range calculation is off to begin with, so will the speed of the target be off later down the line.

Other userinterface mods provide tools on the screen to calculate AOB based on how large the target looks in the view. If you don't have those then you need to estimate by eye. The angle on the bow is the angle the target captain needs to turn his head (from his bow) to you. Some specific angles have tell-tale signs. An angle of 30 degrees will look halve as wide as it would look when side-on. Smaller angles are proportionally narrower, 15 degrees looks like a 1/4th of the width. Beyond 30 degrees the relation isn't so straight anymore. 45 degrees looks like it's 70% of the width. AOB 65 degrees is about 90% of the width. This reaches 100% of the width as you get closer to 90 degrees. You may see side-by-side masts or walls on it begin to hide to indicate when you are looking exactly side on 90 degrees AOB. With practice your ability and accuracy in this will improve.

What may have been calculated in the video is the speed of the target based on knowing only its length. If you are not moving, or if you are moving then only looking along your 0 or 180 bearing to the target (requires to be turned), then it takes the target a certain time to pass the wire based on it's length. This works best if you can look at the target from it's side as you can clearly see the beginning of the bow and stern and not have it occluded. Then a simple calculation can be done to determine it's speed: divide the target length from the manual, by the time of it's passage in seconds. This is speed in meters per seconds. If you multiply that by 1.94 (or just 2 accurate for government work) then you get the speed in knots. You can do that with a hand held calculator if you want.

The same calculation may have been done to calculate distance moved between plotted points on the map over a certain time. For this a specific time interval between plots is handy. 3 minutes and 15 seconds.In that time the target moves a couple of times 100m equal to it's speed in knots. So if it moved around 600m in that timeframe, then it's speed is 6 knots (give or take). The exact time interval is 194.4 seconds, but 3m 15s is very close and is easily marked on the stopwatch. And adds up nicely to 6m30s, 9m45s and 13m where you can average out the distance moved between plots. And divide accordingly by 2,3 or 4 to get the proper speed in 1 interval with a bit more precision.
Even though some of us may be considered 'veterans' this information is still as relevant today as it was back in the day. Bit like Orwell's 1984.

Cheers.
Paul Riley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-20, 08:39 AM   #7
Paul Riley
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 163

I suggest trying to obtain an official copy of the 'Uboat Commander's Handbook' as part of your arsenal too. This book covers EVERYTHING relative to submarine warfare.
You can probably get a copy on Amazon for around £5-10 or so?
Paul Riley is offline   Reply With Quote