Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Old 12-30-10, 01:54 AM   #1
Schwieger
Commodore

Downloads: 62
Uploads: 0
Default Problem solved

never mind

Support U-Boot_HAHD: Install Dropbox Click Here & Increase The Teams Dropbox space and get 2.25GB of free online Storage space for yourself.

Last edited by Schwieger; 12-30-10 at 02:19 AM.
Schwieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-11, 02:04 PM   #2
Fish40
The Old Man

Downloads: 142

I sure would like to know
Fish40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-11, 03:19 PM   #3
Schroeder
Navy Seal

Downloads: 62

If you have one of the semi automatic bomb sights like in the He 111, Ju 88, B25 etc you don't need to know your true airspeed. You can determine it by trial and error as the bomb sight will show you if your data is wrong.
Just punch in your altitude, take your indicated speed and add some notches depending on your altitude (I usually start with 30 - 50 km/h faster than my IAS at more than 3000m altitude). Now look ahead through the bomb sight and target something (preferably at an angle less than 65° as it seem the bomb sight will work inaccurately beyond that for some reason). Once the bomb sight has been switched to "auto" the cross-hair should remain on your target. If your target moves faster down than your cross-hair your entered speed was too low. Add more speed and re-aim (be careful not to get to the automated bombs release, go for a new dummy target if necessary).
If your cross hair moves faster downwards than your target your speed setting was too high. Lower it and re aim. Do this until your cross hair stays on the target. Minor changes can even be done while the auto mode is active.
Practise that a little any you will rarely miss your targets, even from high altitudes without any sort of calculation.

If you have a "dumb" bomb sight like in the TB3...well...no idea. I think there have been charts on the internet that showed your TAS in relation to IAS and altitude...though I think I still missed with them by quiet some margin....
Old 01-17-11, 03:32 PM   #4
Raptor1
Navy Seal

Downloads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroeder View Post
If you have one of the semi automatic bomb sights like in the He 111, Ju 88, B25 etc you don't need to know your true airspeed. You can determine it by trial and error as the bomb sight will show you if your data is wrong.
Just punch in your altitude, take your indicated speed and add some notches depending on your altitude (I usually start with 30 - 50 km/h faster than my IAS at more than 3000m altitude). Now look ahead through the bomb sight and target something (preferably at an angle less than 65° as it seem the bomb sight will work inaccurately beyond that for some reason). Once the bomb sight has been switched to "auto" the cross-hair should remain on your target. If your target moves faster down than your cross-hair your entered speed was too low. Add more speed and re-aim (be careful not to get to the automated bombs release, go for a new dummy target if necessary).
If your cross hair moves faster downwards than your target your speed setting was too high. Lower it and re aim. Do this until your cross hair stays on the target. Minor changes can even be done while the auto mode is active.
Practise that a little any you will rarely miss your targets, even from high altitudes without any sort of calculation.

If you have a "dumb" bomb sight like in the TB3...well...no idea. I think there have been charts on the internet that showed your TAS in relation to IAS and altitude...though I think I still missed with them by quiet some margin....
If you're in a TB-3, you're probably flying so low that you can usually guess when to drop the bombs without having to deal with the bombsight too much (Except maybe for sighting below the aircraft).
Old 01-20-11, 01:14 PM   #5
Fish40
The Old Man

Downloads: 142

I came across a formula for TAS. It is as follows: TAS= ALT divided by 1000 X 5 + IAS. Haven't tried it yet. For the auto bombsites, yes the locking on a dummy target is an easy way to adjust for it. The site in a Pe2 however is not auto. There is no locking on a dummy target to adjust speed. At least not that I know of
Fish40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-11, 05:42 PM   #6
saipan
Gunner

Downloads: 118

try using bombtable2. also the most american bombers have TAS dipalyed to the the left of the bombadiers seat.
saipan is offline   Reply With Quote