SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-27-20, 05:13 PM   #1
Birdseye1959
Watch

Downloads: 32
Uploads: 0
Default U boat upgrade & snorkel

Years ago I played the GWX version. I could 'upgrade' the U boat if I wished.
Now I'm running the SH3 2015 version. I'm in a campaign in January 1944. I would like to be able to use the snorkel, and/or change to a newer Uboat than a VIIC if it has one. I'm not seeing how to do either? Any help please?

Birdseye1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-20, 04:48 AM   #2
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdseye1959 View Post
Years ago I played the GWX version. I could 'upgrade' the U boat if I wished.
Well, not before or during the first patrol. That would have consequences for renown awarded iirc. After that you could change equipment on it before going on the next patrol. You could also transfer to a different flottila. But afaik it doesn't give you a new boat whenever you want.

Quote:
Now I'm running the SH3 2015 version. I'm in a campaign in January 1944. I would like to be able to use the snorkel, and/or change to a newer Uboat than a VIIC if it has one. I'm not seeing how to do either? Any help please?
I don't know what SH3 2015 specifically means. Is this a download install from Ubisoft directly? Or Steam? Or from some other source 'that dare not speak it's name'. (illegal?) As such I have no idea what sort of campaign it is running. I'm not clear either if you mean that your current game has GWX3 applied. If indeed the later, there are some details to follow to get equipment mods applied in these later war years. Consult the GWX 3 manual on what mods to apply.
Old 07-28-20, 10:52 AM   #3
Birdseye1959
Watch

Thanks for replying @Pisces.
The version is Living Silent III 2015 Edition.

I'm not a computer Luddite, but not far removed. Years ago I did manage to install JGSME & played GWX 3.0. I can't remember if my pc died or if it got corrupted, but the next time I tried to install the above I couldn't get it to work.

Xmas past I got a new pc built, & the builder had a better internet than I do, so he downloaded the 2015 version above, & a SH4 & 5 via Steam.

It does seem to have bugs.....confusion with which port the sub is based.

With the GWX version, once enough renown was earned, it was possible to change to a more modern Sub, and the game version I'm using now sends Messages.... "U-boat updates now available" I'm not aware of anything being done automatically. Is the snorkel fitted by default, or does it have to be bought?
Old 07-28-20, 12:34 PM   #4
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

I'm sure those familiar with Living Silenthunter 3 2015 can respond to that, as I don't know anything about it. There must be a thread about it where you can find more information also.

For GWX 3 (but I understand that is old news for you at this time)
For the snorkel (or other equipment) to be added you also need to be within a certain time period if I remember correctly. And it requires a certain amount of renown to have before you can equip it.
Old 07-28-20, 01:00 PM   #5
Birdseye1959
Watch

Ok, thanks.