SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-13-19, 03:19 AM   #1
Deadmode
Watch

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 0
Default New Player getting stuck on setup.

Hi all.

I have recently purchased SH3 on Steam and I have successfully installed GWX Gold and Ahnenerbe's Wide screen mod.

I have been watching Wolfpack's latest YouTube series and really liked the widescreen GUI he is using, which is ARB's mod and decided to try and install that to complete my first playthrough setup. I removed Ahnenerbe's mod and tried to install ARB's.

Unfortunately, whilst I can get the mod working, the SH3.exe binary patch that's needed will not work. That particular binary patch says that I need the hardcode fixes done first. I tried to apply those but they also will not apply to my SH3.exe version.

Does anyone have any idea how to get my steam version to work with ARB's GUI?

Thanks,
Deadmode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-19, 04:11 AM   #2
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > Deadmode
SH3 – 4 - 5 Tutorials > Downloads > Other Useful Information > See Links in My Signature Below
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-19, 05:31 AM   #3
Deadmode
Watch

Unfortunately, none of those links seem to be applicable or address my issue.

If I’m wrong, please can you clarify what section does apply and I need to follow.

I am an experienced gamer and have modded many games but please understand that SH3 is a very confusing game to mod for a newcomer and the myriad of different patches and mods is a minefield to navigate and find what actually applies to the user.
Much of that information you linked is for SH4 and 5 and the SH3 material seems to be for another mod. Whatever the case, it’s confusing as hell.
Old 09-13-19, 05:59 AM   #4
YellowFin
Engineer

Downloads: 56

I feel you Deadmode. SH3 is rather tricky to mod and therebster's signature holds a lot of information but his pointers are not very specific.

Personally I play with the LSH3 supermod geared towards maximum realism. I would really love to try some other mods but you have to accept the fact that some mods just are not compatible. Some combinations will break your game completely, others will just make it a crazy parallel universe and some are compatible (like certain mod missions, but they will break your careers).

It is what it is. I haven't tried your specific combination but I have been "around the block" a few times in terms of SH3 mods.

Here's what I'd do:
  • Uninstall SH3 and any and all mods.
  • Registry clean your machine.
  • Reboot
  • Re-install SH3 via steam
  • Zip that directory into a zip-archive
  • Uninstall SH3 via steam
  • Clean the registry
  • Reboot
  • Create
    Code:
    c:/games/
  • Create
    Code:
    c:/games/sh3-gwx-xyz
    and other directories for specific SH3 installation, create several if you want to try out incompatible mod combinations
  • unzip clean steam installs of SH3 into above sh3 directories from the zip you created from the clean steam install
  • Compile a list of super and minor mods you want to run
  • Research their compatibility to the best of yours and subsim's knowledge, dig out old threads if necessary, or ask in the respective (super)mod's thread
  • Once ready, download the mods
  • Unzip/Unrar them where applicable
  • Study their documentation
  • Install them in the order that makes most sense with respect to the researched information. SOME MODS REACT VERY SENSITIVELY TO ACTIVATION ORDER even if they are superficially compatible
  • Where applicable activate them with JGSME
  • Activate one mod at a time and check compatibility
  • Experiment with mods before you start a serious career
  • And don't play around with mods / patches once you're happy with your setup and in a serious campaign.

Good luck and hopefully someone with more GWX / ARB experience chimes in.
YellowFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-19, 06:08 AM   #5
Deadmode
Watch

YellowFin, thanks for the awesome reply and it is greatly appreciated. I will follow your advice and see if that improves things. It’s also useful to know how to create multiple installs for different mods using the steam version!

Can you offer any insight at to what the LSH3 mod offers in comparison to GWX 3.0? I like the idea of greater realism!
Old 09-13-19, 06:41 AM   #6
YellowFin
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadmode View Post
YellowFin, thanks for the awesome reply and it is greatly appreciated. I will follow your advice and see if that improves things. It’s also useful to know how to create multiple installs for different mods using the steam version!
There is something called MultiSH (or similar) which claims to allow for different mod configs on top of the same SH3 installation. I haven't gotten very far with it but I also gave up rather quickly.

The brute force method with just unzipping the clean install into several sub dirs should work reliably though. Just be careful with the save games into your c:\user\deadmode\ save game directory, some mods might get things mixed up there. Also if you use SH3Commander on top of things it might be a bit tricky. For starters I'd go with one install and try out your favored mod combo.

Quote:
Can you offer any insight at to what the LSH3 mod offers in comparison to GWX 3.0? I like the idea of greater realism!
Unfortunately I haven't played much in GWX 3, but I'm familiar with Wolfpack's series. If you want to check out a LSH3 series I can be of service, as I have my own youtube channel where I play a realistic LSH3 campaign. I'm not as entertaining as Wolfpack but I'm working on it

The differences between GWX 3 and LSH 3 probably aren't huge. LSH3 does have a few goodies though:

H.sie's fix and stiebler's fixes are included in the mod (Sabotage, oxygen, damage models, etc.). There is a nice widescreen GUI (OLC), a great variety of ships and units on land and in the air. The wolfpack mod is included (you can guide wolfpacks in on your position to hunt a convoy with you). SH3 Commander is included (more immersion in the careers with real ship names, casualty figures and freight which give nice patrol logs). The 4gb patch is in the game from the get go. On top of that I use a few additional mods to make it more realistic (no contacts, no cross hairs, no ship categories on screen unless I identify the ship) and I use almost all vanilla realism options (96%). Again check out my videos you will see what I mean. Some mods (no cross hairs and no contacts only come in at a later stage). I also practice realistic attacks according to IRL German submarine doctrine and Kriegsmarine manuals.
Old 09-13-19, 09:51 AM   #7
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

Deadmode!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-19, 10:49 AM   #8
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130

You have a PM
Old 09-13-19, 02:37 PM   #9
YellowFin
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves View Post
You have a PM
Too bad. It would have been interesting to read on this problem as well. The community could have benefited from a public posting of your advice.
Old 09-13-19, 02:48 PM   #10
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130

I asked if he was in the USA and if yes would send him a legal DVD with SH3.
Happy now Mr. Nosey?

If I have an answer for anyone it comes in the forums here for all to see.
A PM is just that A PERSONNAL MESSAGE.
It's not intended to be judged by one such as you.
Good Day Sir!

Last edited by Jeff-Groves; 09-13-19 at 03:25 PM.
Jeff-Groves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-19, 04:12 PM   #11
YellowFin
Engineer

Relax pal..
Old 09-15-19, 05:05 AM   #12
Deadmode
Watch

Using a little of YellowFin's advice, I managed to get it working properly.

It appears that the ARB wide gui mod and the TychoSh3Patx5ch_v3 need's the h.sie hotfix patch and that particular patch cannot be applied over GWX.

To get around the problem I uninstalled SH3 and reinstalled through Steam. I backed up the game dir for later use. I then copied the SH3.exe to a working dir and patched it with H.sie's patch and then followed it with the TychoSh3Patx5ch_v3 patch. I kept this safe whilst I installed GWX over the vanilla game files (as it wouldn't like the modded exe). Once GWX was installed, I backed up the GWX SH3.exe and copied in the patched exe.

It all works like a charm!

Thanks for your help guys.
Old 09-15-19, 10:42 AM   #13
YellowFin
Engineer

Interesting. So you patched the GWX SH3 despite the documentation saying it's not possible?

Got it, you reverse-patched GWX. Clever.

Glad you found out how to do, whatever you were trying to do