SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-11-19, 06:04 AM   #1
Plumber1
Seaman

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 0
Default GWX and SH3Cmdr start issue

Hi all,

Firstly this is more than likely me not doing something right, but after reading all the readme's for everything I can find, I'm still at a loss.

Basically I'm having to manually start GWX after launching through SH3 Commander.

The first half dozen-or-so times everything was as expected and it launched correctly, but now when I click the tick in SH3C nothing happens; I then have to double click the desktop shortcut for GWX to launch the game. After loading though it still says "launched via SH3 commander" in the scrolling text at the bottom of the main menu.

Everything works from then on until exiting the game when SH3C should pop-up, but it doesn't. If I try to open SH3C I get a warning box saying SH3C has found a running instance of SH3 and it should be closed before trying to open SH3C again. The only way to do this is by restarting the PC; at no time either in the initial attempt to launch or after exiting the game does SH3 appear in the task manager applications (even though SH3C seems sure it is running and GWX seems to accept it was started through SH3C).

Has anyone seen this behaviour before or have an idea how to fix it please?

Mod list:
GWX Gold
SH3Cmdr Config files for GWX3.0
H.sie V16B1 (including 4Gb patch)
GWX - 16k atmosphere
GWX - Alternate loadscreen - full circle
GWX - Enhanced damage effects
GWX - Lite harbour traffic
GWX - No medals on crew
GWX - open hatch mod
MFM - Improved
Ahnenerbe WideGui 1920x1080 final
Bearded faces
fernglas mod
GWX_Dfa-flag&pens-2010
Lifeboats&debris_v4
Pinupgirls1
Type VII No4
Waterstream+exhaust combi v2.3 for GWX
o2 gauges - v2
Suppliment to V16B1

Cheers,

Steve.
Plumber1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-19, 07:31 AM   #2
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 490
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumber1 View Post
Hi all,

Firstly this is more than likely me not doing something right, but after reading all the readme's for everything I can find, I'm still at a loss.

Basically I'm having to manually start GWX after launching through SH3 Commander.

The first half dozen-or-so times everything was as expected and it launched correctly, but now when I click the tick in SH3C nothing happens; I then have to double click the desktop shortcut for GWX to launch the game. After loading though it still says "launched via SH3 commander" in the scrolling text at the bottom of the main menu.

Everything works from then on until exiting the game when SH3C should pop-up, but it doesn't. If I try to open SH3C I get a warning box saying SH3C has found a running instance of SH3 and it should be closed before trying to open SH3C again. The only way to do this is by restarting the PC; at no time either in the initial attempt to launch or after exiting the game does SH3 appear in the task manager applications (even though SH3C seems sure it is running and GWX seems to accept it was started through SH3C).

Mod list:
GWX Gold
GWX - 16k atmosphere
GWX - No medals on crew
GWX - open hatch mod
MFM - Improved
Bearded faces
fernglas mod
GWX_Dfa-flag&pens-2010
Lifeboats&debris_v4
Pinupgirls1
Type VII No4
o2 gauges - v2
Suppliment to V16B1

Cheers,

Steve.
Not sure, but I know there's info. in the SH3Cmdr docs that state once one uses it to run SH3, try to avoid starting SH3 without it or it can cause problems.
Old 06-11-19, 08:18 AM   #3
hauangua
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1333

Quote:
Hi all,

Mod list:
GWX Gold
GWX - 16k atmosphere
GWX - No medals on crew
GWX - open hatch mod
MFM - Improved
Bearded faces
fernglas mod
GWX_Dfa-flag&pens-2010
Lifeboats&debris_v4
Pinupgirls1
Type VII No4
o2 gauges - v2
Suppliment to V16B1

Cheers,

Steve.
PLease can you post correctly your JSGME mod list?
For Example this is my jsgme:
Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[C:\Users\Zio_Voldy\Desktop\NY1\MODS]

NYGM Tonnage War V2.5 – Stand Alone Version
NYGM3_New
NYGM3_6F
NYGM_2017A
Widescreen MaGui v3.4-SA
optional-stopwatch with speed lines for Widescreen MaGui v3.4-SA
WideScreen MaGui v3.4-SA FIX for NYGM v2017A
Harbor Traffic Add-In
IABLShipsforNYGM_New_Thomsen
Restore Gods Eye View
Type VII salvo selector
Supplement to V16B1 (JSGME)
Stiebler4C_Addon_for_V16B1
NYGM_HiRes_Submarines_3_6F
Extra_files_for_Hsie_patch_V16B1
Old 06-11-19, 10:59 AM   #4
David I
Ensign

Downloads: 360

Plumber 1,

Starting last week I began having the same problem. Are you running Windows 7? I'm beginning to think that with Microsoft ending support for Windows 7 that something didn't get updated anymore that allowed SH3 Commander to operate normally. I've been running GWX/SH3 Commander for years without any problem.

I tried re-installation of GWX & SH3C but ran into the same problem.

Anyway I'm glad you found a work around. At least I can still play.

David I

Last edited by David I; 06-11-19 at 03:42 PM. Reason: Andressed my response to the wrong guy.
David I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-19, 01:14 PM   #5
Anvar1061
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 846

I've been feeling the same way for the last week. I had to completely uninstall and reinstall SH3COMMANDER, but occasionally the problem comes back.

I didn't run SH3.exe.

Last edited by Anvar1061; 06-12-19 at 02:49 AM.
Anvar1061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-19, 08:12 PM   #6
Kapt Z
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 153

I think I am dealing with the same issue. Everything ran fine for years up until about a day or so ago. Now when I click on the Commander icon on my desktop the game does not load.

I am still using Win 7. Commander, GWX and a few minor mods.

If you start the game from the GWX icon does it seem to work ok? Are we stuck without Commander's parameters now?
Old 06-11-19, 10:09 PM   #7
hauangua
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapt Z View Post
I think I am dealing with the same issue. Everything ran fine for years up until about a day or so ago. Now when I click on the Commander icon on my desktop the game does not load.

I am still using Win 7. Commander, GWX and a few minor mods.

If you start the game from the GWX icon does it seem to work ok? Are we stuck without Commander's parameters now?
Really strange this problem with W7.
I use windows10 and I have no problems, have you tried launching SHCmdr with administrator rights?
Old 06-12-19, 03:47 AM   #8
Plumber1
Seaman

Thanks to all for the responses; I am indeed also running win7.

I don't yet know how the work-around will affect things post mission, all the exiting I've done so far has been in mission. I've noticed that when I do load the game (even though it says loaded via SH3 commander) the rank is incorrect in the initial main menu, this corrects after loading a save game. My worry is that, as SH3C thinks SH3 is still running after it's been closed, then the end of the mission won't be correctly recorded in SH3C.

Edit:
Quote:
I use windows10 and I have no problems, have you tried launching SHCmdr with administrator rights?
I always run both GWX and SH3C in admin.

Last edited by Plumber1; 06-12-19 at 03:57 AM.
Plumber1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-19, 05:05 AM   #9
hauangua
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Thanks to all for the responses; I am indeed also running win7.

I don't yet know how the work-around will affect things post mission, all the exiting I've done so far has been in mission. I've noticed that when I do load the game (even though it says loaded via SH3 commander) the rank is incorrect in the initial main menu, this corrects after loading a save game. My worry is that, as SH3C thinks SH3 is still running after it's been closed, then the end of the mission won't be correctly recorded in SH3C.

Edit:

I always run both GWX and SH3C in admin.
I'm sorry I can't help you, having W10 I can't test. Only one question, which is the last mod you installed ?
chronological, (not in the jsgme list)

Last edited by hauangua; 06-12-19 at 06:20 AM.
hauangua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-19, 06:20 AM   #10
Plumber1
Seaman

Quote:
....Only one question, which is the last mod you installed ?
As in JSGME the last one was the supplement to V16B1; I didn't FTFM fully when I installed H.sie's V16B1 and only found the separate zipped folders for the O2 gauges and the supplement after I went looking for reasons why my CE kept trying to talk but just getting "CE: " messages in game.

The mods were done in base after patrol 2 (war patrol 1, I didn't dive for long enough in the first, pre-war patrol of the career to get these messages) with SH3C roll back done after exiting the game post handing out the medals and recruiting some more PO's in game.

I honestly can't remember if the game started correctly through SH3C immediately after adding these last 2 mods (I think it did for the first couple of times but can't be sure). As I was promoted in game after patrol 2 but SH3C still has me at the previous rank it may be that it didn't(?)
Old 06-12-19, 09:47 AM   #11
Randomizer
Watch Officer

Downloads: 131

I too have noted that there seems to be issues between SH3/SH3 Commander and the last Win-7 update in that on occasion SH3 will not load from SH3 Commander or fully shut down after a session.

Once everything is up and running SH3 and Commander appear to work as intended, at least on my system.

Recommend after a session, open the Windows Task Manager, click on the Process tab and scroll down to the "S" processes. If there is an entry for SH3.exe there should also be one for SH3Cdr.exe. Select SH3.exe and then End Process and both will close. This should get rid of the "...instance of Silent Hunter..." error message and allow you to run SH3 again.

No idea what Win-7 upgrade might be causing this but the KB90830 Malicious Software Removal Tool update from earlier in May may be a contributor.

-C
Randomizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-19, 10:43 AM   #12
hauangua
Grey Wolf

it seems that the latest W7 updates are causing several problems, and that Microsoft is aware of them anyway.
Do you have Avira-Avast or McAfee anti-virus installed?
However the solution of Randomizer I think is the best.

Last edited by hauangua; 06-12-19 at 12:09 PM.
hauangua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-19, 01:15 PM   #13
Plumber1
Seaman

Quote:
Do you have Avira-Avast or McAfee anti-virus installed?
No I have Norton; wasn't aware of an issue with any anti-virus though.

Randomizer,

Thanks very much for this, I've just tried opening SH3 through Cmdr and as expected it didn't work however, I opened task manager and ended the Sh3.exe process and when I then opened SH3C and launched the game it opened and ran as it used to. Whether this action of ending the sh3 executable will need to be done in future I don't know but for now everything is back to normal.

Old 06-20-19, 09:45 AM   #14
Rhodes
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 109

Quote:
No I have Norton; wasn't aware of an issue with any anti-virus though.

Randomizer,

Thanks very much for this, I've just tried opening SH3 through Cmdr and as expected it didn't work however, I opened task manager and ended the Sh3.exe process and when I then opened SH3C and launched the game it opened and ran as it used to. Whether this action of ending the sh3 executable will need to be done in future I don't know but for now everything is back to normal.

I have that problem, but:
"My sh3 commander began to not work, every time I click to begin a patrol (new or not), it did not load the game. More accurately, sh3.exe file was running but only with 1 mb of memory and not loading and running the game.

I had always to end the process, rollback SH3 commander and then after that all was well, until now.

Now SH3 commander just shows the word error in several places (in all the drop menus to choose names,u-boat types,year, etc for a new campaign and in flotilla names of previous campaigns). Already done a clean installation of commander but noting change.

Decided to check SH3, just run the game with out Commander - does not load the game and I have a CPU overload with run32.dll using 100% of CPU."
(from my post http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...10&postcount=1)
Is the same issue going on or not? I had it for several days,until SH3 went nuts on my cpu and can not run the game.
Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-19, 04:48 PM   #15
Chief_WH
Watch

Downloads: 55

Hi,

Not sure if ths is your issue, but over in Wings over Flanders Field and Wings over the Reich there was an issue that came up very recently where the game wouldn't run on first load, but then did on the second attempt.

It related to rundll32.exe which continues to run after closing the failed attempt, and is posisbly being blocked by antivirus programmes; and requires the renaming (the type) of the file gameux.dll.

Here is some text from the link that someone on WoFF found that is itself also below:

Quote:
For ones that are looking the guide how to resolve, here it is:

1) If you're x64 OS, go to windows\syswow64\ and rename gameux.dll to something without .dll extension
2) If you're x86 OS, go to windows\system32\ and rename gameux.dll to something without .dll extension
In both cases you'll have to take ownership and add file permissions.
To get my WoTR working I changed it to a .txt format and the issue was gone.

This may not be your problem, but the timing is interesting.
Chief_WH is offline   Reply With Quote