SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-10-20, 02:01 PM   #2176
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ken View Post
Many thanks for your reply, but when I tried to put both the V1.24 and the V1.26 files into the MODS folder, I received the error message that the second mod was trying to change files that had already been written.

Do I just accept and let the patch overwrite the files?

Thanks in advance!
Yes.
Old 11-10-20, 02:39 PM   #2177
Randomizer
Watch Officer

Downloads: 131

To be considered a Hospital Ship the vessel must be inspected and signed off by the International Red Cross in accordance with the international conventions for warfare at sea in place at the time. For WW2 this would probably be the 2nd Geneva Convention.

In September 1914 Captain(D) Cecil Fox of the 3rd Destroyer Flotilla sank with gunfire the German hospital ship SS Ophelia. Fox declared her an armed naval auxiliary and when investigation disproved this allegation, the story changed that she carried ciphers and was acting as a scout for the High Seas Fleet. Ophelia had been ordered to the Texel to save lives where Fox had annihilated the four torpedo boats of the HSF VII-Half Flotilla in the Battle of Texel. Ophelia's crew was treated as POWs whereas international convention was that they should have been interned and exchanged as they were at sea specifically to save lives.

Later when U-Boats torpedoed British hospital ships in the Channel and HMHS Britannic was sunk by mine in the Aegean, British propaganda howled with faux outrage as the Ophelia incident had been public knowledge and Captain Fox was commended by the Admiralty for his actions.

It sucks to sink a hospital ship: SH3 GWX3 once executed me for sinking one by accident. I had fired a pair of FaTs into a convoy and that was the only hit but there is absolutely nothing wrong with the way that hospital ships are implemented in the game.

-C
Randomizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-20, 11:17 AM   #2178
Front Runner
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 215
Default Underway 0600 December 9, 1941 USS Gudgeon out of Pearl

Beautiful moonlight on the way to Empire Waters first patrol...

[EDIT] How do I get pictures to show up in the body of my post?

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/alb...ictureid=11602

Gone but not forgotten, RIP Dave "LeoVampire".

Last edited by Front Runner; 11-11-20 at 11:27 AM.
Front Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-20, 12:37 PM   #2179
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Front Runner View Post

find a site like this one, https://imgbb.com/, that will allow you to u/l a JPG/PNG and then allow you the chance to copy a link into your post.
no fee to join and you control your u/l.
i've used it for several years without incident. and, no, i have no connection to the website or its admins.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-20, 12:23 AM   #2180
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

SHO Re: Does the Sen-Toku have an S emblazoned on its bow..???

In a Gato class (USS Gato, ironically...) is Oct '42, am just short of getting to My assigned objective of awaiting orders off the southern end of Japan near Shikoku Island. Haven't yet recieved the next set of orders yet, as I haven't set off the bell announcing My arrival on scene yet, for it to signal Me what to do next yet in that area...

Get report of sonar hearing a war ship. I figure cool... get a rough base course figured out & lo and behold, have more than enough time to set up for a 90 degree torp attack, Still surfaced, I then get a shout from the lookouts of ship sighted. I then go to the Uzo or TBT... and... let out a war whoop... Tis an IJN sub... I snatch up the recog manual and tear furiously through it, til I get to a match on it... a Sen Toku | Carrier Sub.

I drop into My boat, order peri depth... and then set up for a 1, 2 knockout torp punch (an uppercut aka keel shot & a gut punch aka side impact det hit.

Long story short, that Sen Toku, shrugged off My dual barreled torp set up.. NO.. no duds, & I do have that option turned on, but both went off as they should have... 1 under the keel, offset aft of center line designated to kill any chance of it getting away.. or at least that was the general idea any way... & the other to blast open its guts to the sea, offset a bit ahead of the center line so as to drown it & its crew... again, at least that was the general idea...

All to NO avail...

I watched as it sailed off full bore, as if nothing touched it... like it was the japan equivalent to Super Man... only thing missing was it sporting an 'S' on its bow....

Base mod latest version of it, the patch mod... followed up with a couple of visual environment mods (clouds, sea, sand, rocks, weeds.. that fog & underwater visibility one.. 100' visibility) 24 hour clock, brass gauge trim, & pre pearl mod... minor eye candy mods, that don't mess with anything major...

Any way... that's it... a bit dismayed, as this was the 1st sighting of any actual warships... thus far, have ran across a couple of aux cruisers for the IJN & sank them.. was hoping to get some torps into the serious warships....

Ah well... *sigh*

End report.

M. M.

Last edited by Mad Mardigan; 11-12-20 at 02:09 AM.
Mad Mardigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-20, 06:36 AM   #2181
Front Runner
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 215
Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
find a site like this one, https://imgbb.com/, that will allow you to u/l a JPG/PNG and then allow you the chance to copy a link into your post.
no fee to join and you control your u/l.
Thanks

Gone but not forgotten, RIP Dave "LeoVampire".
Front Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-20, 08:18 AM   #2182
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

SHO Re: postinc pics with your posts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Front Runner View Post
Beautiful moonlight on the way to Empire Waters first patrol...

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/alb...ictureid=11602
Besides the 1 that KaleunMarco mentioned, is the 1 I use:

https://snipboard.io

No having to sign up for an account, just go to their web page, drag & drop the pic you wish to share or post... and then is just a matter of copying the 'saved as' .jpg link created for it.

Easy peasy...

Like this:

My sub, the U.S.S. Gato (SS-212) just before submerging at sunrise...

I now have that as My desktop background... if any others would like to use it as a desktop background... feel free to do so...
Old 11-12-20, 09:46 AM   #2183
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post

Long story short, that Sen Toku, shrugged off My dual barreled torp set up.. NO.. no duds, & I do have that option turned on, but both went off as they should have... 1 under the keel, offset aft of center line designated to kill any chance of it getting away.. or at least that was the general idea any way... & the other to blast open its guts to the sea, offset a bit ahead of the center line so as to drown it & its crew... again, at least that was the general idea...

I watched as it sailed off full bore, as if nothing touched it.
maybe, the Japanese took Russian titanium technology and made a double-hulled, titanium carrier sub.
Boy, are we lucky they didn't get into subs more seriously or the U.S. would have been in deep-doo-doo.

LAA enabled
Old 11-12-20, 10:02 AM   #2184
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
I get to a match on it... a Sen Toku | Carrier Sub.

I watched as it sailed off full bore, as if nothing touched it... like it was the japan equivalent to Super Man... only thing missing was it sporting an 'S' on its bow.
M. M.
seriously, now, there is nothing in the Sen Toku damage profile that is much different from the US subs. the total-hit-points is a bit higher but not enough to survive two torpedo hits.

it has to be the torpedoes. not your fault. maybe it ran deep enough to detonate but not cause damage.

LAA enabled
Old 11-12-20, 06:43 PM   #2185
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

SHO Re: Sen Toku Carrier sub...

Quote:
seriously, now, there is nothing in the Sen Toku damage profile that is much different from the US subs. the total-hit-points is a bit higher but not enough to survive two torpedo hits.

it has to be the torpedoes. not your fault. maybe it ran deep enough to detonate but not cause damage.

Ok, then is there any explaination for it occurring not just once, but twice....

& this time, I did 4 torps... (3 that went off as planned, with 1 that missed, aft of the sub....) n running into another Sen Toku, I set up for 4 fish this time... 1 aft of center, set for keel attack, mid line, set up for impact det... a few feet below the water line... 3rd set for keel det... an the last 1 as with the 2nd, but forward of the last fish... all 3 that were the last sent off, detonated as they were supposed to...

pattern set up as shown in a rough diagram:

See attached pic...

Note: The X with ( ) around it, was the 1 fish that went aft & totally missed... I accept that I misjudged the offset from the center line aiming... that, is totally on Me & I fully accept that fact... no dissemination... I erred...

Again, as with the 1st encounter... that Sen Toku sub, shrugged off the whole attack... as if it was from Krypton....

1 occurrence, Ok.. I could possibly accept... but twice...

Leaves Me wondering just what the heck...

So it does NOT get misconstrued... I am NOT in any way attacking... I just would like a clear cut, definitive answer as to why that happened....

In attacking it, what am I going to have to do... plant each & every fish under its hull to kill it... and chalk up a sink..?? Just speculating out loud... again, no attack inferred here... just to be 100% clear... I do know that with forums & such, that can occur, so I am only stating that for the record...

I know, as I used to be a mod in an IRC chat site, for many years & have seen it happen that what is said (in type) can & does get misconstrued...

M. M.

ps:

Sorry for the crudeness of the diagram, but was the only way I could , to show the manner in which I plotted out the Sen Toku's demise, as clearly as I could...

Old 11-12-20, 06:53 PM   #2186
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

SHO Re: Sen Toku... part deux...

Just to clarify... both instances were very far apart... so as far as I can judge, this was NOT the same sub, being re sighted... again, as far as I know...

The 1st was south of Shikoku Island, and the 2nd was well further off to the west of the 1st... separated by many many nautical miles apart... in the magnitude, of roughly 7-800 best guess... best possible estimate was SW of the small string of islands making up an approach way to the South China Sea basin.... as My last orders I got were to patrol area 9 on the designated area on the Nav map...

The 1st subs sighting, was after leaving base & being ordered to go to & await further orders, which came in after attacking that 1st sub, in the same general area as well, before receiving My current orders to patrol, off to the SW of a Korean Island there in area 9.

M. M.

ps:

If need be, I shall see of taking a snap shot & editing it to show approximate sightings of both time of where I was when I tried to attack them.
Old 11-12-20, 06:59 PM   #2187
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Just to clarify... both instances were very far apart... so as far as I can judge, this was NOT the same sub, being re sighted... again, as far as I know...
well, then i guess my proposition might be a tad off.
maybe it IS the damage profile of the target.
i am not skilled at all in damage profiles.
i know that some mega-mods have DD/DE with no bow damage boxes so that if you attempt a down-the-throat-shot, a hit will not have the desired effect.
it could be that the damage profile of the Sen Toku is such that it cannot be damaged/sunk with a beam attack.
i am guessing here...based on your excellent examples and documentation.

LAA enabled
Old 11-12-20, 07:34 PM   #2188
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

SHO Re: Reply back...

Quote:
well, then i guess my proposition might be a tad off.
maybe it IS the damage profile of the target.
i am not skilled at all in damage profiles.
i know that some mega-mods have DD/DE with no bow damage boxes so that if you attempt a down-the-throat-shot, a hit will not have the desired effect.
it could be that the damage profile of the Sen Toku is such that it cannot be damaged/sunk with a beam attack.
i am guessing here...based on your excellent examples and documentation.

That's what is so puzzling... everything I did, should have resulted in a definitive sinking of the target... but as you pointed out, it may well be that the damage model is askew... am just guessing here... as I, like you KaleunMarco... have NO idea of the inner working on damage modeling...

Am letting it be known that this occurred, so those that do or have some knowledge at least, have info to help them track it down... Hopefully...

I am a smart enough old bear, to understand that it could very well be that there is NO definitive answer to this puzzle... but.. if such is the case, then I will be satisfied that it was looked at... & shall then adjust My interaction in game, to just avoid any attempts at attacking the problem ship or ships...

M. M.

I wouldn't go so far as to say excellent, but as clear as I can, given the circumstances... & will strive to improve them if need be... as I am able to...
Old 11-12-20, 07:42 PM   #2189
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:

I am a smart enough old bear, to understand that it could very well be that there is NO definitive answer to this puzzle... but.. if such is the case, then I will be satisfied that it was looked at... & shall then adjust My interaction in game, to just avoid any attempts at attacking the problem ship or ships...
i concur.
save the torpedoes for something that will sink!

LAA enabled
Old 11-12-20, 09:06 PM   #2190
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

I have done three runs through a scenario with the Sen Toku, 3 different versions of the game, but I only use mods from within the mod itself for the first two runs, and none on the last (recommended). I also cleaned the Save folder prior to playing the game. I don't know where you're game is failing, but here is a blending of the three runs:

Patrolling in the Volcano Island Group when an Ultra / Magic message comes across:

Sure enough, there they are:

The first run-through, I shot all six bow tubes at 'er, missing with just one (somehow). Missed behind with the last one. The sub was visibly sinking before the 2nd one hit. I did not take pix, figuring I would video instead, which failed miserably... I am turning into an old tech fahrt that can't keep up with today's "easy" tech stuff... ah well.

The 2nd run, two shot, two hit, and I had turned duds off. She never saw 'em coming until too late, because I managed to close to within 1000 yds.

Making like a submersible, but with some help

The 3rd run was done with manual targeting, so I shot a 3 torp spread. First hit a little behind the conn, #2 missed behing, and #3 barely caught the stern, but the boat was sinking by the stern after just the first hit.

I never did encounter any return fire from the Sen Toku, though I am certain that if I would have been out in front of them, they would certainly have sent some fish my way. As it was, the only torps seen on the attack map were mine.

sub sunk and mission completed.

So, the sub is actually a pinch too delicate. Check your mods, removing them all and restoring one at a time until you find the offender. If you hadn't deleted the Save folder, do so. Although you will lose your career progress.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote