SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-09-20, 07:51 PM   #1
les green01
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 1375
Uploads: 0
Default My War Story

ROE:
1ead is dead
2:Sh MechSys(dice roll or coin flip)
3:No turning down new commands
4:Realistic Command after promotion to Captain(after 1# patrol rest is decided with dice)
5:100% Difficult(No TDC on S Boat)

Captain's Personal Log Leslie Green
Command: S-27(SS-132)
Class:32
What can i say being a 3/4 Cherokee from Watts Oklahoma
wasn't too many options to escape from there and with my
high energy level and always being interested in the navy i
decided to applied for the Naval Academy and was accepted.
During the academy while having a hard time with the studies
i decided to join the boxing team and being 6'2 180 pounds i
was a decent boxer winning more than i lost.After hats in the
air i had orders to report for duty on Battleship Oklahoma
which i serve on her for four years,then deciding that promotions
might come my way better i put in for submarine school and was
accepted and then after reported to the Narwhal moving up the ladder
until i got promoted to Lt Commander to report to Cavite Philippines
to take command of S-27 arriving in June 41.Arriving in the Philippines
i fell in love with the Philippines their pace in life,the most beautiful
sunrise and sunsets you ever seen the rainstorms that can pop up
from nowhere and end just has quick even after i walk down the dock
for the change of command my mouth must have hit the dock when i seen how rusted she is but the man i'm taking command from assure me she a good sub and her crew is top notch and good at making any repairs has needed i sure hope so cause the winds of war is starting to blow hard and heavy.Not only is S-27 a rust bucket but also a roach invested heat box and is so bad with rust that her diving dept is limit to 150 feet and is no race horse her speed reduce to 1/2 to maybe 3/4 speed than when she was new.Well we are at war with Japan we gather around the radio and listen to the reports way it sounded we got caught with our pants around our ankles at Pearl with heavy damage and lost of lives but they sure hammer us here in the Philippines with airstrikes don't know how they manage to catch us here with our pants down with the time differnce between Pearl and here but they sure did.Receiving orders from my commanding officer to patrol of Mindanao for 5 days we work though the night and most of the day dodging airstrikes,finaly supplied with fuel,torpedoes and food we are leaving port to carried out our orders hope we don't have no problems. While talking to xo Frank Brunton decided to work in shivves or even nude and do most of our work at night to advoid the heat as much as posible and the men are holding a contest to see which department can get the most roach kills so far one department has nail 50,000 roaches must be coming out of the cork.So far at night been pretty bright and our wake and bow spray been showing too good have to watch that and be careful when and if we make contact smoking lamp is out topside for sure also going have to tell cookie to stop fixing beans cause Michael Bissell been slamming the control room with his farts like the stink not bad enough all ready without him adding to it maybe the crew can find a cork big enough to shove in his backside.Next day with 30 minutes left before dawn we took her down to 100 feet to try to get some rest but that going be hard with the heat and noise i figure i'll end up drinking a cup of coffee and smoking a lucky strike before trying to get some sleep.

Last edited by les green01; 11-09-20 at 09:47 PM.
les green01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-20, 08:52 PM   #2
les green01
Seasoned Skipper

hope your guys are enjoying thiis
Well 30 minutes after sunset we surface what a relieve to pop the hatch and let the foul odors to exit at least some anyway and to have fresh air to enter and cookie started to prepare dinner,What beans and rice again tonight come on cookie your the best in the Navy but this going get old quick but i guess least we have food to eat and hot coffee,we got to hear on the radio President Roosevelt ask congress to declared war on Japanwhat a speech Japan going find out we are not going be easy meat for the table.Making our way to the patrol area at a mind blowing four knotts at 2/3 speed maybe i should order standard speed although we will use more fuel,decided to go ahead order standard speed making us do six knotts we are flying now.Not a cloud in the sky look like going to be another hot day has we take it down to 100 feet for the day time for a cup of coffee and a lucky strike,1337 sonar contact order periscope dept 143 degree spotted two merchants going to try to id flags targets id as 2 t3 tankers id as friendly what a let down that are first ships spotted was friendly maybe we will get lucky sooner or later.so far we have had no problems with the 27 hope are luck will hold out in that area,Got a radio message that Germany and Italy declared war on us and that the Marines held on to wake good job boys give them hell.had a problem with our sonar sensor just a minor one that was easy fix so still in the war but still spent 2 hours fixing it,three days since leaving Cavite keep doing the same thing running surface at night underwater during day but today went to a 150 feet to see if we had any leaks so far good on that part.surface tonight winds 8mps but clear sky with no fog still on course to patrol area not having enough officers to cover deck watch third shift i have decided to cover it myself it nice to be up there with the fresh air,well the night over and a new dawn already getting so hot making sleep almost impossible getting a cup of coffee getting ready to light up a lucky strike i notice a deck of cards and notice some of duty men i invited them to play a little game of poker where instead of money we bet cigarettes some of the men are good poker players winning several hands play for a couple of hours before we decided to get some shuteye seem like the men enjoy it so might make it a habit of doing the poker games.(sorry guys had to lay off on this because my eyes started bothering me)Been at sea for 5 days still have about 450 miles to go before we get to the patrol area 30 minutes after sunset order the boat to periscope dept to check area before surfacing only to find out we have a serious problem with the Observation scope and it keeps fogging up so bad not usable as right now hope we can get it fix well after 4 hours finaly got Observation scope and back to being able to use it.tonight the 14th of december weather clear but heavy seas S-27 and crew are being toss all over the place we are now in Sulu Sea heading for Moro Gulf,well a little bit past midnight engine number one has decided to act up Engine is running hot,but seems to be within specs so we are keeping a close eye on it although since the engine running hot to reduce speed and see what happens.We have a hour before sunrise running speed has done the trick the question going though my mind is do we risk staying on the surface to make up some of the distance we have lost with the rough seas the crew wouldn't get much rest or take her down to calm and the crew can get better rest not a easy decision but the needs of the crew must come first.

Last edited by les green01; 11-18-20 at 08:36 PM.
les green01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-20, 04:02 PM   #3
DeepSixNiner
Seaman

Downloads: 357

Enjoying it??

I could read this all day, you could write a book my friend!
DeepSixNiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-20, 09:09 PM   #4
les green01
Seasoned Skipper

thanks ill have to keep going once deer hunting is over
Old 12-06-20, 05:56 PM   #5
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

You almost sound like a transplanted West Virginian living in western Missouri there les green01... - Every year we would have to shut the railroad down for 2 weeks so that the employees could go out deer hunting...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-20, 06:55 PM   #6
les green01
Seasoned Skipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
You almost sound like a transplanted West Virginian living in western Missouri there les green01... - Every year we would have to shut the railroad down for 2 weeks so that the employees could go out deer hunting...
your not too far off half of my family is Native American other half well daniel boone is in the other family tree side
Old 12-06-20, 10:44 PM   #7
les green01
Seasoned Skipper

Well at three this afternoon XO waking me up to tell me there a problem with Electric engine number one well frank last two days sure been not going to good for us so what the problem and can it be fix yes sir can be fix Motor one is making whining noise,but seems to be working ok.hour later walking past sonar Sir merchant contact moving slow and closing bearing 261 long range sonar stay on contact bring her up periscope dept 1740 still have not made contact yet night has fallen surface ahead flank speed ran at flank for two hours never did make contact so order standard speed and back on course walking up to the map taking a look where the Navigator got us peg at be several more days before we reach our patrol area.This morning even though the men was tired decided to do practice drills figure they better get use to doing stuff even tired cause war don't wait for men to get rested and they going need all the training they can get when the smelly stuff hits the fan.(i'll have a couple of weeks to work on this until
blackpower season gets going)
Old 12-07-20, 05:21 PM   #8
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Nice. My cousin gets herself a deer every year with a black powder gun. I have never seen a deer during that 2nd gun season... We're originally from the hollers down in s/e MO, north of Cape Girardeau, south of St Genevieve. One thing we're good at down there is growing rocks and trees, and acreage is sold by the vertical foot... lol - deer eat acorns though, and don't get as big as corn country deer...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-20, 07:55 PM   #9
les green01
Seasoned Skipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Nice. My cousin gets herself a deer every year with a black powder gun. I have never seen a deer during that 2nd gun season... We're originally from the hollers down in s/e MO, north of Cape Girardeau, south of St Genevieve. One thing we're good at down there is growing rocks and trees, and acreage is sold by the vertical foot... lol - deer eat acorns though, and don't get as big as corn country deer...
got to be at the right place at the right time your right about the acorns though me and dad hunted sw missouri outside of stockton for 35 years i kill one massive 8 pointer that was corn fed but one year a buddy wanted to hunt with us he grew up in that area night before he was talking how acorn deer dont get has big opening morning i nail two does and another massive 8 pointer he was like dang
Old 12-07-20, 08:14 PM   #10
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by les green01 View Post
got to be at the right place at the right time your right about the acorns though me and dad hunted sw missouri outside of stockton for 35 years i kill one massive 8 pointer that was corn fed but one year a buddy wanted to hunt with us he grew up in that area night before he was talking how acorn deer dont get has big opening morning i nail two does and another massive 8 pointer he was like dang
how did you lug all of that meat out of the bush? like 350-400 lbs, no?

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-20, 09:20 PM   #11
les green01
Seasoned Skipper

both 8 pointers field dress at 250 pounds that i have kill general what we do is one person get one side the other gets the other side then drag them does usually not so big