SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-16-20, 09:23 PM   #1
CapZap1970
Sea Lord

Downloads: 259
Uploads: 51
Default Making SH3-GWX work

Ok, it's a bit long the list of of thing I must explain and ask, so please, bear with me...

I've been struggling really hard to have SH3 working properly in my computer, I was full of CTD's while the game was loading, starting new campaign, even in the Academy, doesnt matter if it was SH3 1.4b, GWX3.0 install, launching directly form SH3 or via SH Commander.... choose your pick...
Needless to mention that when SH3 Commander was launched, since there was a catastrophic CTD while loading the game, it screwed things up in such a way that I had to reinstall everything from scratch. Did that many times in the last 2 days...

However, the solution came with right-clicking the SH3 exe and choose to run it as admin instead of double-clicking on it... from there it was fantastic, making lots of tests, and accessing every possible area in the game... Academy, single mission, museum and career without problems. It is working fine SH3 1.4b, GWX, plain, with the mods I've tried so far, everything!!!!

Now, I know from my experience in the last 2 days, that if I double-click on the SH3 Commander icon, it will be the same mess as before and will have to reinstall everything.

I want to know if right-clicking on the SH3 Commander icon and selecting the option "Run as Admin" will also launch and load the game as Admin or it will work only for SH3 Commander main menu. I am asking this because perhaps some of you found looong ago the answer to this question, thus saving me the effort and frustration of having to make another complete re install of everything.

Thanks a lot for your opinions and possible help.

CapZap
Old 06-16-20, 09:42 PM   #2
Grumpy Pete
Shore leave

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 0

If you right click the SH3 launcher and go to properties you can set compatibility mode to run as Windows 7 and always to run as administrator. That way you don't have to right click everytime to launch the game. It also can help to NOT install the game under Program Files but to install it in its own directory (for example: d:\my favorite sims\sh3). Hope this helps!

Grumpy Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-20, 11:36 PM   #3
CapZap1970
Sea Lord

Downloads: 259
Uploads: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Pete View Post
If you right click the SH3 launcher and go to properties you can set compatibility mode to run as Windows 7 and always to run as administrator. That way you don't have to right click everytime to launch the game. It also can help to NOT install the game under Program Files but to install it in its own directory (for example: d:\my favorite sims\sh3). Hope this helps!

Grumpy Pete, thanks a lot for the advices.
I think it sums it up, and hopefully I won't have troubles anymore running SH3. However, still some tests to run...

CapZap