SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-26-20, 07:44 AM   #1
steel shark
XO

Downloads: 48
Uploads: 5

Default EPIC Waters & Countermeasures

A forward note by me for my Complete Overhaul of Countermeasures in my

Epic Waters Mod

This is basically
Epic Mod / Playable Subs Mod / And my Heavily Modified Version of Cold waters South china sea all Amalgamated Together

Modern Torpedo’s are Very Capable weapons with Multiple Sensors that work together to defeat Enemy Countermeasures

with the new wake homing torpedo’s and Constant Wire guided Aiming if the enemy has your Solution high enough a lot of you and like in real life find that a simple Decoy like A moss-MK70 or Masker Like a standard Eject Noisemakers Are useless

if you are being manual tracked buy intact wire guided Weapons
To this end ive adapted my Countermeasures From my Cold waters Playable subs & south china sea in to Epic Waters

these feature more Exotic Methods to Deter enemy weapons the FIVE basic countermeasure types are:

I / Maskers:

these try to mask the submarine with a louder masking noise so like a noisemaker bubble type.

II / Jammers & Barriers:

these attempt to confuse the incoming weapon or weapons with false targets and limit their sensors to buy time for your submarine to break contact with the enemy weapons

jammer and barriers are static and don’t move once they reach activation waypoint as to make defensive shield making easier

jammer Examples : American ADC Series of jammers & British scad_102

Barriers Example: like the or Russian Vist E

jammers & barriers do the same thing put-up a defensive wall to shield you

See pic 1 for basic jammer and barrier deployment

A lot of Jammer & Barrier decoys are launched from SSE Launchers (Submerged signal Ejector’s) or in my cold waters I used the VLS , to simulate this some are internal tubes tho like the Uk SCAD-102

of course how many to use is up to you remember that though when your subs laying on the bottom crushed with spare Jammers still in the tubes because you didn’t use enough

III / Decoys:

these try to draw torpedo’s away from the your submarine can be like a moss-mk70 or a MG-74 their drawback is they are nearly full sized torpedo’s and usually need External torpedo tubes or replace internally stored weapons decreasing your offensive load out.

IV / Countermeasure-Anti-Torpedo:

or CAT these are anti-torpedo torpedo’s that seek out incoming enemy torpedo’s to intercept like a Russian m-15_Paket or the Royal Navy,s S2170_SSTD (surface ship torpedo defense) the Russians also have the Lasta_ATD (Anti-Torpedo-Defense) this a m-15 modified for submarine use

V / Towed Decoys:

These are surface ship Towed decoys The Nixie & LWT are surface ship Towed decoys for cold waters USN surface warships adjusted these decoys for straight /left/right running and to simulate towed they last for a Very Long Time well unless a Torpedo gets it ofc

Other defense: SPEED

this increases your turn rates and can form Water Knuckles if you turn hard at speed you can also change depth faster but all this is at the cost of making you louder but if they know where you are anyways that’s not so much a problem.

So basically Defensive or Evasive Actions would be:

I / Avoid detection:

In this phase you stay quiet and use any ocean cover so Thermal Layers & surface ducts also check the oceans ambient noise and general conditions / or run close to the sea floor if possible also you can use Silent Running / Ultra Quiet / Quiet Running the term varies from navy to navy but is the same thing be quite and make like a Hole in the water

II / Break Contact:

If detected it is necessary to take evasive actions to break the contact This can be done by changing speed, course, or depth also use any countermeasures that are appropriate to the incoming threats

III / Clear The Datum:

If the submarine is successful in breaking the contact it is of importance to clear its last know position known to the enemy in other words Don’t get Complacent assume they know where you are and plan accordingly with submarine navigation & tube loads.

The added counter measure’s I have adapted so far are :

USN surface ships:

usn_countermeasure
usn_countermeasure_A
usn_AN/SLQ-25 Nixie-A
usn_AN/SLQ-25 Nixie-B
usn_AN/SLQ-25 Nixie-C
usn_ADC MK 1
usn_ADC MK 2
usn_ADC MK 3
usn_ADC MK 4
usn_AN/SLQ-61_LWT (Light Weight Towed) small warships Littoral Environment’s

USN submarines:

usn_countermeasure
usn_countermeasure_A
usn_moss MK-70 (standard torpedo tube)
usn_ADC MK 1
usn_ADC MK 2
usn_ADC MK 3
usn_ADC MK 4

RUS surface & submerged warships:

rus_countermeasure
rus_countermeasure_A
rus_mg74me_M1
rus_mg74me_M2
rus_mg_104
rus_mg_114
rus_mg_124
rus_m-15_Paket (Anti-Torpedo-Defense) surface ships
rus_Lasta_ATD (Anti-Torpedo-Defense) submarine version
rus_vist_E (Barrier torpedo defense system)

UK submarines & surface ships

uk_countermeasure
uk_countermeasure_A
uk_type_2066
uk_type_2071
uk_scad_101
uk_scad_102 (internal tube) SSE MK-8
uk_s2170_SSTD (surface ship torpedo defense)

these are all working in my game but I am tweaking these constantly still as i am also reworking the weapons in the game and adding new and reworking old ones.

i think you all will enjoy the different defense options and the new ways to use these to set up attacks.

Last edited by steel shark; 08-01-20 at 07:55 AM.
steel shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-20, 12:16 PM   #2
feld
Loader

Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Steel Shark,

Is Epic Waters released? I am, as you know, new to the CW modding scene and it isn't quite clear to me what is released and what isn't.

Thanks!
v/r
feld
feld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-20, 01:31 AM   #3
meetnick
Swabbie

Downloads: 91
Uploads: 0
Default mod counter measures

Thanks Steel Shark,,,,, I like to obtain these counter measures you speak of, where do I get them and how to install and get it to working???
meetnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-20, 05:12 PM   #4
steel shark
XO

Default Countermeasure’s Remake 60/70,s USN

Ive finished my fist pass on remaking my Advanced Countermeasure’s for my Epic W@ters Plug In mod for Epic Mod

A lot of decoys are launched from SSE Launchers (Submerged signal Ejector’s) or in my cold waters I used the VLS , to simulate this some are internal tubes tho like the Uk SCAD-102 & USN MK70-moss.

There are two broad categories of defence, hard kill and soft kill.

Hard Kill

Anti-Torpedo Torpedo (ATT)
My ATT weapons are 6.75 inches in diameter, 105 inches long, and powered by a stored chemical-energy propulsion system these simply are launched to attack enemy incoming torpedo’s these are launched from (Submerged signal Ejector’s)

Counter Anti-Torpedo (CAT these are like the ATT but more Capable
The CAT is an all-up round housed in a canister and ready for launch. The round is designed for high speed and manoeuvrability and uses a stored chemical energy propulsion system.

Soft Kill

Submarine Decoys and Noisemakers. Submarines employ various acoustic decoys such as Ultra Electronics Mk 2/3/4 Acoustic Device Countermeasures (ADC) which is a 3” or 6.25” diameter expendable acoustic decoy.

The old Mk 57 Mobile Submarine Simulator (MOSS) was a 10 inch diameter, mobile decoy that was launched from a torpedo tube. MOSS has since been replaced by the six inch EX-10 Mobile Multi-function Device (MMD), which can be fired from a countermeasures tube.

Enhanced Decoys – mobile decoys already exist and are used by submarines. There’s no reason why mobile decoys couldn’t be adapted to surface ships. They would be launched from ejector ports just above, or under, the surface.

Forward thinking 2020 onward

Super Cavitating Dart

Super Cavitation Darts – Super cavitation allows torpedoes to achieve very high speeds of 100-200 kts. Why not apply the principle to small “darts” that contain only a sensor head and explosive warhead? The ship’s launch mechanism would impart all the speed necessary for intercept and the dart would have no need for an engine or fuel. This would be a great application for a very small rail gun. In any event, the darts would be launched at an intercept point and the dart’s small sensor/fuze would detonate the warhead if the torpedo were detected. The main question would be what range could be achieved before the dart slowed to a stop.

RBU ASW Rocket Launcher

CIWS/RBU – The RBU is the old Soviet anti-submarine rocket launcher. It’s somewhat analogous to the old US Hedgehog system. If that were combined with a CIWS type system, it could launch a “wall” of exploding rockets on or just in front of the torpedo. The CIWS aspect would guide the fall of rockets to meet the torpedo just as it guides the shells to meet the target aircraft or missile. The system would depend on sheer volume of exploding rockets to destroy the incoming torpedo.

Steel Shark

Last edited by steel shark; 09-24-20 at 07:48 AM.
Old 08-28-20, 01:45 PM   #5
steel shark
XO

Default progress

made the EARLY ADC Decoy family

ADC Mark 1 Mod 0

ADC Mark 2 Mod 0

ADC Mark 2 Mod 2

ADC Mark 2 Mod 4 (668i & ssbn)

ADC Mark 2 Mod 7

these work really well at messing with weapon sensors and sonar

they either circle at launch depth when they reach activation point or can cork screw up or down so :

Level , Shallow , Deep settings

they not long ranged but last enough to get the job done i had a Russian plane dropping 4 torpedoes and depth bombs on my test ADC it was that certain it was me

When i get Back ill do the ADC Mark 3 & 4

then the new ADC Mark 5

then ATT (Anti Torpedo Torpedo)

and last THE EX-10 Mobile Multi-function Device (MMD)

Im off for a Week Now Leave any messages in my Private Box

Steel Shark

Last edited by steel shark; 10-20-20 at 03:38 PM.