SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-10-12, 01:02 PM   #1
JapLance
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default JapLance's SH4 Ships

Here are the links to the ships in this thread:

==========Original thread===========

I've been playing with the 3D program to make the CL Yubari, and everything was going well so far, right up until now.

I wanted to add a very simple occlusion map (up to now all ships I had done were in SH3 style) so it gave the ship this typical Japanese blueish grey (or greyish blue maybe?) colour.

I thought I was doing it well, and in S3D the ship looks the way I wanted

but when I go to the museum to check the ship, she looks like the occlusion map is not there:

I've checked the stock game ships, and other than the map, which is much simpler in my ship, I couldn't find what can be wrong. The fact that it shows OK in S3D tells me that I'm close, but I've run out of ideas .

Does someone know how to finish this?. I could just paint the texture in SH3 way, but I'd like to do it like a proper SH4 ship.

Last edited by JapLance; 06-23-21 at 04:18 AM. Reason: Capitani Romani to v1.1
Old 09-10-12, 06:58 PM   #2
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

have you looked thru the modding info links? there might be so90mething in there that helps you figure it out

check the technical help section here: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=155786

and also this could help: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...light=tutorial
Old 09-10-12, 07:04 PM   #3
Madox58
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Check that the cfg file in the rosters are pointing to the Occlusion texture.
Old 09-11-12, 10:19 AM   #4
JapLance
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webster View Post
have you looked thru the modding info links? there might be so90mething in there that helps you figure it out

check the technical help section here: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=155786

and also this could help: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...light=tutorial
Thanks, I had already read all this threads, and some more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by privateer View Post
Check that the cfg file in the rosters are pointing to the Occlusion texture.
Checked. Everything is correct.
Old 09-11-12, 12:09 PM   #5
the_frog
Commander

Downloads: 17
Uploads: 0

The AO map shows up correctly in the S3D, which uses about the same graphic system as the SH4, but not in game?
Is the AO HiRes or a LoRes type? I suppose HiRes. Did check "Use High Resolution textures" in the game's setup?
Old 09-12-12, 09:46 AM   #6
JapLance
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_frog View Post
The AO map shows up correctly in the S3D, which uses about the same graphic system as the SH4, but not in game?
Is the AO HiRes or a LoRes type? I suppose HiRes. Did check "Use High Resolution textures" in the game's setup?
This is not the problem. Both low and high-resolution versions are in the ship folder, and the game is set to use hi-res.

The thing is that I have already used this system before with other ships to add a cammo pattern, and it worked, although I ditched it because I didn't like the result in that particular case.

I'm absolutely lost .
Old 09-21-12, 12:00 PM   #7
JapLance
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I finally found the problem. She looks much better now, but it will take me longer than expected to finish the model.

The problem was that, due to my lazyness, I used a lot of single-side polygons to make certain walls, and then in the .dat file I inverted the order of the materials and put the two-sided one on top so these walls were rendered properly. In S3D that works fine, but in the game seems like it "blocks" (not sure if it is the right word to describe it) the occlusion map.

Now I will have to come back to the 3D model and make these parts double-sided.
Old 09-21-12, 08:31 PM   #8
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297

Quote:
Originally Posted by JapLance View Post
I finally found the problem. She looks much better now, but it will take me longer than expected to finish the model.

The problem was that, due to my lazyness, I used a lot of single-side polygons to make certain walls, and then in the .dat file I inverted the order of the materials and put the two-sided one on top so these walls were rendered properly. In S3D that works fine, but in the game seems like it "blocks" (not sure if it is the right word to describe it) the occlusion map.

Now I will have to come back to the 3D model and make these parts double-sided.
A beautiful rendition of my favorite Japanese light cruiser!

You talk of using double sided components in your ship; have you had problems with a shimmering/flickering effect ingame? I have always had to make SH3/4 ship hulls out of one-sided polygons to avoid that issue. Have you figured out how to prevent it?
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-12, 03:18 AM   #9
JapLance
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambecomelife View Post
A beautiful rendition of my favorite Japanese light cruiser!

You talk of using double sided components in your ship; have you had problems with a shimmering/flickering effect ingame? I have always had to make SH3/4 ship hulls out of one-sided polygons to avoid that issue. Have you figured out how to prevent it?
Well, I have little experience with 3D in general and SH ships in particular. I'm learning things as I make them. To create the Yubari I started from a stock Akizuki hull, and I didn't modify much other than resizing it and moving a few vertexes.

I have only made one hull from scratch, and did it starting from a cylinder. It was a quite simple ship (a destroyer), and did it that way just to get some experience. I haven't checked any of these ships thoroughly inside the game, only in the museum.
Old 09-23-12, 09:36 PM   #10
Tempest555
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 166

Hulls are easy to do with Freeship. And you can import the hull into 3dsMax as a Wavfront Obj format since it will save in that format.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/freeship/
Tempest555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-12, 03:24 AM   #11
JapLance
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest555 View Post
Hulls are easy to do with Freeship. And you can import the hull into 3dsMax as a Wavfront Obj format since it will save in that format.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/freeship/
Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a try.

But I think that in general it's easier to take an already existing hull and reshape it.
Old 09-27-12, 11:23 AM   #12
JapLance
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I still have a lot of tweaking to do with the Yubari (the .zon file mainly), so I dusted off another cruiser I had in the yard and applied the same treatment as the Yubari:

Now ships look so muck better
Old 09-27-12, 05:06 PM   #13
the_frog
Commander

Downloads: 17

Hi, 1st time I see a reasonable try of a Belfast model. I like it. Consider to exchange positions aft HA and LA directors (if I remember corectly), the rest looks fine.
Old 09-28-12, 05:49 AM   #14
JapLance
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Well, the ships I make are not meant to be 100% like their real life counterparts. I lack the skill in 3D, the patience it takes and the data to do it.

In this case I've used a lot of parts from the Fiji and other stock ships. This gives me a reasonably good-looking ship to use in the game. I used the same approach for the Yubari, and the rest of ships I have waiting in the queue.
Old 10-12-12, 10:59 AM   #15
JapLance
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Another one of the ships I had in my hard drive awaiting some more work

Derived from the original Tribal-class destroyer, and with some parts from other stock British ships.