SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-13-20, 01:38 PM   #1
loftyc
Watch

Downloads: 58
Uploads: 0
Default flickering sub wake visible thru sub

upgraded to AMD ryzen 3600, Sapphire 5600xt, windows 10, and now I get the sub's wakr visible through the sub textures. This happens with vanilla as well as with FotRS
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SH4Img@2020-06-13_14.17.49_839.jpg (12.9 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg SH4Img@2020-06-13_14.20.17_451.jpg (19.4 KB, 18 views)
loftyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-20, 02:05 PM   #2
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

SHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftyc View Post
upgraded to AMD ryzen 3600, Sapphire 5600xt, windows 10, and now I get the sub's wakr visible through the sub textures. This happens with vanilla as well as with FotRS
Details... details...

Might help, if you went here:

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=243064

Since you noticed this with FotRS, unless it was with the older version of it for SH4 v1.4, if so.. might be a good idea to make sure that is known... supply every last bit of detail possible...

Date for the incident (game wise) i.e Dec 17th, 1942.. sub being used, for example Porpoise, area it happened i.e. Convoy College, what the last received orders were i.e Patrol 10 days off Kowloon, computer info what operating system, processor, RAM... things of that nature...

More info they have, the better they will know what to look for & explain what to do to correct the issue...

Mad Mardigan

Old 06-14-20, 11:06 AM   #3
loftyc
Watch

I don't think it's for the FotRS; it happens with vanilla, as well as in a separate install I have for Operation Monsun. As for details, that's easy: it happens for every type of boat, whether during a campaign, war patrol, or single mission, American, German, or Japanese, in every region, all the time. Is there an AMD setting I should have checked (or unchecked) somewhere?
Old 06-15-20, 02:54 AM   #4
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

SHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftyc View Post
I don't think it's for the FotRS; it happens with vanilla, as well as in a separate install I have for Operation Monsun. As for details, that's easy: it happens for every type of boat, whether during a campaign, war patrol, or single mission, American, German, or Japanese, in every region, all the time. Is there an AMD setting I should have checked (or unchecked) somewhere?
Seeing as how I don't use AMD, but Nvidia... I'd again suggest asking there in the thread for FOTRS about that.. again, making sure to give every bit of information you can provide, since you did run into this issue with using their mega mod, armed with the solution they could provide would help resolve that issue overall with all the other various copies of SH4 you're modding out with that mod.

It still remains possible, that mod may NOT be usable with FotRS but still get a solution for the other copies you're using it with though.

Last edited by Mad Mardigan; 06-16-20 at 02:54 PM.
Mad Mardigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-20, 10:01 AM   #5
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

From THEBERBSTER's SH4 <> TUTORIALS <> HOW TO DO IT <> INFO <> DOWNLOAD LINKS -STICKY INDEX

Changing AMD Radeon GPU Settings

"caution" is required, since the post is over 5 years old. things may have changed since then. AMD has a utility with various settings in it, that you'll have to experiment with. You also might have to adjust things in the game's Graphic Settings on the Options menu. Perhaps someone with a similar AMD card will come along and have their settings available...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-20, 09:22 AM   #6
loftyc
Watch

success! I had another texture problem with my WW1 flight sim, and an idea posted there worked for this (oddly, not for the flight sim issue). in case anyone in the future needs it, VonS directed me to do the following thorough removal fo the AMD software and install only the driver, and not the extra "Adrenaline" stuff. after doing a-d below with no luck, option (e) is what worked here.

a) version of drivers 20.2.1 and above supposedly fix the problem (for the relevant AMD GPU)

b) turn off GPU (hardware) acceleration option in Discord, Chrome, and any other programs where you have GPU acceleration turned on, on your computer, and reboot for it to be turned off

c) remove registry keys for previous video card and then re-install the control panel and drivers for your latest AMD vid. card

d) set RAM speed from 2400 to 3000 MHz

e) this option taken from the internet is a more detailed one, to fix crashes on the 5600xt card, but might work also for other anomalies - always read directions carefully before attempting any of this ----->

-----
1. uninstall radeon software (if freezes or has error dont worry goto 2)
2. run amd clean up utility (if freezes or has error dont worry goto 3)
3. boot windows into safe mode with networking (hold shift while clicking reboot in windows)
4. download and install display driver uninstaller
5. uninstall all gpu stuff and chipset stuff , using ddu , (display driver uninstaller)
6. reboot
7. check device manager, make sure display adapter says generic device, if not repeat steps 1 - 6

8. download amd chipset drivers directly from amd, selecting the appropriate categories (for AMD CPU users,,,, (((i would imagine the same would hold true for intel cpus),
( i didnt use ones from my mobo manufacturer)
9. install the latest correct chipset drivers only from amd, (intel for blue team) ( NO ADRENALIN OR GPU STUFF FROM AMD)

10. reboot
11. download adrenalin, unpack it, (( it will show a generic unzip progress bar, let it finish, when the fancy splash screen comes up that say "do you want to install adrenalin" "CLICK CLOSE / NO ****** DO NOT INSTALL ADRENALIN OR ANY AMD GPU SOFTWARE **** we are just unpacking it to get to the drivers
12. goto device manager right click on generic display driver, hit update driver
> select "browse my computer for driver software"
> choose "let me pick from a list......"
> choose "have disk"
> goto the folder that adrenalin unpacked to ussually c:\amd , im not sure what subfolder it is in, i think one that says adrenalin, either way locate C0353065.inf (i beleive there was a driver subfolder and like a win32 / win64 etc folders, choose the one appropriate for your system) (this may differ slightly for diff versions in the future) click ok, choose the top 5600 xt driver, click next,

13. (this should install the driver without adrenalin, device manager should now say "5600 xt" under display adapters)
>>>>>>>>>>> reboot
-----

Original posts are here on this AMD thread, for those interested (https://community.amd.com/thread/248239).

Hope some of this info. helps,
Von S
Old 07-05-20, 03:53 PM   #7
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Excellent report! Hopefully, this will help other 'modern' ATI users!

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-20, 03:00 AM   #8
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

SHO Re: Congrats..

Hey lofty... didn't see this, until now...

But... any way, glad to hear you finally were able to find a solution to your issues.

Fair winds, smooth seas & Good hunting...

M. M.