SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-08-20, 03:37 PM   #1
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Default Can someone tell me how to bring this feature back?

Since for whatever reason I can't get RSRD to even go to home screen without crashing nowdays( I am working to resolve it) I am running TMO solo but made some adjustments.

Anyways, two long standing issues. One, I want to bring it back where when player transfers from say Pearl to Fremantle prior to patrol, has to began patrol in Hawaii and end in Fremantle, as boats really did. This adds to the sim instead of magically transporting while also provides flexibility in a campaign I want to build, "The War Patrols of the USS Jack" based on the book Silent Running by James Calvert. Plus in new construction mode, will have to transit from Mare Island to Hawaii, with enemy subs firing torpedoes now, could have an encounter. A feature that was present in TMO at one point, stock as well but not sure how to get it back.

Second. I use vickers smoke mod, which I find IMPERATIVE to gameplay. You can visually track enemy vessels miles away as they could in real lif, really helps in gameplay. Anyways, another great mod is the improved splashes for bombs, bullets, depth charges, but they conflict with particles.dat file, so you lose one or the other.Anyone able to make them work together? I have not a clue. Could it be as easy as renaming a file?

Thanks in advance.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-20, 06:14 PM   #2
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
One, I want to bring it back where when player transfers from say Pearl to Fremantle prior to patrol, has to began patrol in Hawaii and end in Fremantle, as boats really did. This adds to the sim instead of magically transporting while also provides flexibility in a campaign I want to build, "The War Patrols of the USS Jack" based on the book Silent Running by James Calvert. Plus in new construction mode, will have to transit from Mare Island to Hawaii, with enemy subs firing torpedoes now, could have an encounter. A feature that was present in TMO at one point, stock as well but not sure how to get it back. Thanks in advance.
there is no reason that SH4 won't work the way you describe, regardless of mod-set.
the programming involved will always assign the next mission based on where you ARE at the time of your last mission.
SH4 does not anticipate your transfer while you are in port and will not change the mission assigned to you if you transfer to another base while you are in port.
so, you must accomplish your previous-base-objective before you can end your mission at your new base.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-20, 07:53 PM   #3
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
there is no reason that SH4 won't work the way you describe, regardless of mod-set.
the programming involved will always assign the next mission based on where you ARE at the time of your last mission.
SH4 does not anticipate your transfer while you are in port and will not change the mission assigned to you if you transfer to another base while you are in port.
so, you must accomplish your previous-base-objective before you can end your mission at your new base.

For example, I am at Pearl Harbor , I want to transfer to Fremantle, so I use the phone. When I go to start current patrol, I will be in Fremantle. I want to start at Pearl and end the patrol in fremantle, my new homebase This is how it was at one time. Currently, it just transfers you automatically.
Old 06-09-20, 07:03 AM   #4
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
For example, I am at Pearl Harbor , I want to transfer to Fremantle, so I use the phone. When I go to start current patrol, I will be in Fremantle. I want to start at Pearl and end the patrol in fremantle, my new homebase This is how it was at one time. Currently, it just transfers you automatically.

This actually depends on the mod you are playing. This mechanic is defined in the Flottilas.upc file (...\Data\UPCDataGE\UPCCampaignData\Flottilas.upc) which from mod to mod can be different.
For example, Manilla will soon be occupied by the japs in early 1942, if you departed from there you will be ordered to join Surabaya Base in the Java Sea, at least when playing FOTRSU 1.1. Other mods I don't know, but the simplest way is always to enter the port you want, despite your orders, that doesn't matter for the game.
BTW, did you read the other thread you have opened about your problems with RSRDC? I have updated my last response.

XS
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-20, 01:25 PM   #5
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenonSurf View Post
This actually depends on the mod you are playing. This mechanic is defined in the Flottilas.upc file (...\Data\UPCDataGE\UPCCampaignData\Flottilas.upc) which from mod to mod can be different.
For example, Manilla will soon be occupied by the japs in early 1942, if you departed from there you will be ordered to join Surabaya Base in the Java Sea, at least when playing FOTRSU 1.1. Other mods I don't know, but the simplest way is always to enter the port you want, despite your orders, that doesn't matter for the game.
BTW, did you read the other thread you have opened about your problems with RSRDC? I have updated my last response.

XS

Okay, well in TMO RSRD it is that way. I am running TMO since can't get RSRD going for some unknown reason( I saw your response in thread, will respond there) . So the Manila-Java thing is accomplished by having the territory change. I am looking to have it where I am about to start a patrol in Pearl Harbor and before I depart, I call in a transfer to Fremantle, so I depart Pearl head to patrol area, then travel to Fremantle and end patrol ther and next patrol will start in Fremantle. I am trying to figure out how to do this I know the file but I don't get how to make this happen, surely someone knows how...
Old 06-09-20, 02:03 PM   #6
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

I might be mistaken Bubblehead1980, but I am thinking the transfer done the way you describe was a v1.3 or v1.4 way of doing it, and that it messed people up... like I say though, I might be wrong. Your preferred way is my preferred method also... If you are based in Pearl, and you want to transfer to Fremantle, you asked for, and if possible, were granted the transfer. You then left for patrol from Pearl, and then docked at Fremantle to end your patrol. Part of the problem as I remember it was that players were confused as to how to do a Hokkaido mission and yet have enough fuel to make it to Fremantle. However, the player being moved to Fremantle before going on patrol can make that worse, if you have to travel to Hokkaido from Fremantle and make it back, without benefit of a Darwin, or some other enroute base for fuel... Lurker somewhat eliminated that problem in RSRDC with assignments that were timed for when transfers would occur, and you were forced to transfer at that time, from say Pearl to Saipan, etc...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-20, 05:25 PM   #7
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
I might be mistaken Bubblehead1980, but I am thinking the transfer done the way you describe was a v1.3 or v1.4 way of doing it, and that it messed people up... like I say though, I might be wrong. Your preferred way is my preferred method also... If you are based in Pearl, and you want to transfer to Fremantle, you asked for, and if possible, were granted the transfer. You then left for patrol from Pearl, and then docked at Fremantle to end your patrol. Part of the problem as I remember it was that players were confused as to how to do a Hokkaido mission and yet have enough fuel to make it to Fremantle. However, the player being moved to Fremantle before going on patrol can make that worse, if you have to travel to Hokkaido from Fremantle and make it back, without benefit of a Darwin, or some other enroute base for fuel... Lurker somewhat eliminated that problem in RSRDC with assignments that were timed for when transfers would occur, and you were forced to transfer at that time, from say Pearl to Saipan, etc...

Yes, it was that way in v 1.4 but also in 1.5 in previous versions of TMO for 1.5. One thing I did not care for in RSRD are forced transfer being based out of Midway starting in 42 I believe. I once had it setup to here did not get transferred unless wanted to.