SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-25-19, 05:08 PM   #1
skirich
Chief

Downloads: 75
Uploads: 0
Default Targeting a ship from behind while chasing it

How complex is the calculation for targeting a ship from behind while you chase it?

Assume the ship doesn’t know I am coming up behind and is traveling at a high rate.

I assume it can be done but I have to calculate the running speed to get the distance or do I just use maximum range on the torpedo and hope it catches up to it?

What about launching a torpedo while moving? Bad?
skirich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-19, 06:25 PM   #2
fireftr18
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 77

I won't unless it's a slow moving ship. If I can, I'll maneuver around so that I can target the side. If it's fast moving, I won't bother.
Old 08-25-19, 06:41 PM   #3
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

........an "up the kilt" shot. It's something I never attempt unless it was last resort. Also hope the ship doesn't zig after you fire.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-19, 01:02 PM   #4
von Zelda
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

<What about launching a torpedo while moving?>

Can be done. However, the game does not account for maximum speed with an extended periscope, which was probably 5 to 6 knots due to vibration and potential damage.

An undamaged, fleeing ship would almost always out run a WWII sub chasing submerged at a max speed of 8 or 9 knots. You could travel on the surface and make up the distance differential only if the target is unarmed or you're out of visual range. The task is called "End Around" where you want to pass the target at a substantial, unobserved (radial) distance to put you in front of the moving target. You then submerge and wait until the target travels across your bow.

<How complex is the calculation for targeting a ship from behind while you chase it?>

Not complex for the Target Data Computer if one inputs the correct variables for bearing & distance and angle on the bow & target speed; and the target does NOT increase or decrease speed and makes NO adjustments to direction of travel. That said, the problem is the lack of torpedo speed and max distance of travel. The distance and time to overtake the target is always increasing. Thus, a slight change of target speed and/or direction of travel will create a significant miss.

Just my humble opinion.

Last edited by von Zelda; 08-26-19 at 01:16 PM.
Old 08-26-19, 03:19 PM   #5
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 434
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by skirich View Post
How complex is the calculation for targeting a ship from behind while you chase it?

Assume the ship doesn’t know I am coming up behind and is traveling at a high rate.

I assume it can be done but I have to calculate the running speed to get the distance or do I just use maximum range on the torpedo and hope it catches up to it?

What about launching a torpedo while moving? Bad?
chasing a ship is not a normally a worthwhile effort.
the best method to sink a ship that is ahead of you and moving away is to quickly compute whether you can allow the ship to move out of visual range so you can surface and increase your speed such that you can remain out of visual range, pass the target-ship on a favorable course and then submerge in a favorable position for a torpedo attack.
always assume that your enemy is armed and will resist your efforts to make a surface attack.
yes, it is that complicated.
so...you have to ask yourself the question: is that ship important enough for me to spend time and fuel to get in front of her and try another shot?
only a commander on the scene can make that decision.
good luck. and good hunting.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-19, 04:44 PM   #6
jimmbbo
Run silent, run deep

Downloads: 59

Hmm... lots of things going the wrong way...
  • narrow target
  • moving away
  • torpedo relative speed reduced by up to half
  • close in launch required to keep within torps' range if fast target.
  • how to position the sub to get the shot in the first place, other than being submerged as the merchant is overhead AND on the sub's heading...
Reckon that's why I've never tried it, but whatever floats your boat...
jimmbbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-19, 10:58 AM   #7
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

Well, he can measure the speed rougly by the change in distance over time. Range is however not easy to measure accurately by the scope.

But firing torpedoes from such a position is very disadvantageous. You want to hit them in their broad side, not on their most slender silhouette.

So yeah, no! The end-around is more effective to get bang-for-buck.
Old 08-27-19, 09:31 PM   #8
Mios 4Me
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 38

Even with automatic targeting and Mk 16 torpedoes, up-the-kilt shots are low enough probability that I take them only when necessary: almost never with merchants over 2km and only under 1.2 km for retreating warships of CA size or less. BBs and CVs are such high value targets that I'll almost always take the shot under 3km, especially the Yamatos.

If firing while moving at high speed, it's prudent to allow a few extra seconds for the TDC solution to stabilize.
Mios 4Me is offline   Reply With Quote