SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-15-20, 11:45 AM   #1
Shockwave74
Helmsman

Downloads: 16
Uploads: 0
Default SH3 DVD release unable to install problem

Hi folks, long time since I've last been here.

I wanted to try again SH3 (with all the mods) to see what happened in the SH3 world when I left off... I installed the game but then the game told me it didn't work on W10 so I uninstalled.

Later on I wanted to give it another go because I thought I'd found a fix, so I took the DVD again and tried to reinstall the game.

I was given three options by the installer but whatever option I take (repair, remove, modify), I am told 'this option is only available when the game is installed'. So I am stuck basically.

What am I supposed to do now? Can you help?

Recently I tried to contact Ubi but well their website barely loads. I didn't know what else to do or who to ask...
Shockwave74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-20, 06:01 PM   #2
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

SHO Re: SH3 install issues...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockwave74 View Post
Hi folks, long time since I've last been here.

I wanted to try again SH3 (with all the mods) to see what happened in the SH3 world when I left off... I installed the game but then the game told me it didn't work on W10 so I uninstalled.

Later on I wanted to give it another go because I thought I'd found a fix, so I took the DVD again and tried to reinstall the game.

I was given three options by the installer but whatever option I take (repair, remove, modify), I am told 'this option is only available when the game is installed'. So I am stuck basically.

What am I supposed to do now? Can you help?

Recently I tried to contact Ubi but well their website barely loads. I didn't know what else to do or who to ask...
Hey Shockwave...

Where to begin...

Ok, to begin, lets start off with some basic info...

Understand your comp is hard wired for Win 10.. soo...

With the install to begin with, just where did you attempt to have SH3 install at... i.e.:

In C:\Program files or...
In C:\Program files (x86)...

Or.. did you create a new folder, in the C:\ section.. such as:

C:\Games or..
C:\SHII or \SH3...

In regards to running the disk again & getting the ''three options by the installer, to:

A/ repair

B/ remove

C/ modify

Sounds as if, some bits of the install, were left behind in the 'uninstall' process... this, as I recall of, occurs in the case of using the in built add/remove base deletion of files offered up by Windows... sadly, their pro-offered means of deleting/removing, often leaves stuff behind in execution of that means.

There is hope, however... in the use of a program called CCleaner, it is NOT necessary to buy the program, but.. they do offer it if you wish to do so. I leave that to your decision... however, the free version (free to download & after install, to run it, free of charge.) Just note that this version will NOT have all the bells & whistles of the paid for version, but... WILL retain enough to be of use.

After doing the base free install, then run it, leaving the base settings as they are.. Run a complete scan of your computer by utilizing the ''custom clean''... let this finish then allow it to delete all stuff it finds from that scan... and allow that, to finish.

Once that is done, then it is time to move to stage 2...

Running the next operation tabbed under Custom Clean called ''Registry''...

Run a scan with this & allow it to finish... then wait for the end results from that scan.

If there are any issues found, it will give a fairly comprehensive listing of what they are & where these are located... after getting the results, comes time to decide... leave them or get rid of i.e fixing the issues.

clicking on 'fix selected issues', will give you the option to keep a backup of the registry or to not do so or to cancel the whole operation... your choice. After reaching that decision, next is of course, executing it if you decide to continue... either backing up or not... you are then given the option to fix issues, 1 at a time, or to bulk fix the issues... again, your choice... after deciding, execute... after completing this, I usually run a 2nd scan, just to ensure nothing got missed.. which for the most part, the 1st time is done to completion.. & no need to redo it again, is required.. I just do the run, to make sure... but.. that is just Me.

With that being done, I would then suggest a reboot restart of your computer & retry the disk to see of being able to reinstall SH3, again... taking care to NOT allow it to be installed in either \Program files or \Program files (x86) as both of these are watch dogged by Windows & doesn't take kindly to files being meddled with.. as I understand it.

Hopefully this info is of use to you & helps to solve the quandary you find yourself faced with currently...

Best Regards,

M. M.

Old 09-16-20, 08:03 AM   #3
Shockwave74
Helmsman

The DVD is the first version with the installer in german. Anyway I installed in the default software but I don't remember which one that was.

I agree with your conclusions about some install leftover in fact I did run CCleaner before asking for help and I didn't have any success which left me without any further options.

It so happens though that I've remembered this pc hasn't been reeboted since. And that is a MUST to 'unload' the deleted regkeys.

When you prompted on this message I ran CCleaner again and there were no SH3 keys involved but they may have been deleted in the previous CCleaner scan/fix.

I will reboot now and try again. Will let you know very soon, thanks for your help!!!!
Old 09-16-20, 08:34 AM   #4
Shockwave74
Helmsman

Updates: I rebooted then tried the repair option which says reinstall everything. Error 1605 - this action is only valid for products that are currently installed.

Dead end again.
Old 09-16-20, 01:51 PM   #5
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

SHO

Quote:
Updates: I rebooted then tried the repair option which says reinstall everything. Error 1605 - this action is only valid for products that are currently installed.

Dead end again.
Quick question...

Do you use discord & a member on it in the subsim discord group.?

If so, can further discuss this there. My handle on discord is Mad Mardigan, in the subsim group there.

M. M.

Old 09-16-20, 01:58 PM   #6
Shockwave74
Helmsman

Yes I do but the headset is broken, which means I have no microphone... I'm coming to look for you. :-)

and... I can't find the server.
Old 09-16-20, 02:01 PM   #7
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Quote:
Yes I do but the headset is broken, which means I have no microphone... I'm coming to look for you. :-)
Am on there now... awaiting messenger line.

Old 09-16-20, 02:08 PM   #8
Shockwave74
Helmsman

Can't find the server... could you come pick me up in the TABLETOPIA server please? Admittedly I barely have any idea how Discord works, only used it a couple of times.

I am in the waiting hall 1 (GShock112)b

ndver mind falling asleep try again tomorrow or someother time but thanks for your support really appreciated man.

Last edited by Shockwave74; 09-16-20 at 02:23 PM.
Old 09-18-20, 09:56 AM   #9
Shockwave74
Helmsman

Nothing...

the funny thing is the Ubi tech support on FB doesn't answer.

What a shame.