SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-14-20, 01:46 PM   #1
StealthRabbit
Silent Captain

Downloads: 288
Uploads: 0
Default SH4 Transfer to Atlantic 1st Mission Bug?

I am running SH4 with TMO with the RSRD-Campaign with all appropriate patches.
I also run a few minor environment/eye candy Mods like
Webster's Eliminate Floating Plankton,
Snarf_Digicamo_allclasses,
BRF 1.3 full,
and Tracer Mod v3 (which looks just fantastic in my opinion)

When the option to transfer to the Atlantic theater came up I took it.
So I get my first war patrol mission orders thinking this will be an interesting change being out of the Pacific only to get orders for a mission in the Pacific... which was more then a little confusing.

After reading a few posts in various threads I figured out that apparently in SH4 the game decides what your next mission is going to be as soon as you dock after completing the mission you just ended. Before I can look at my crew and hand out promotions and medals, before I upgrade equipment and restock torpedoes, and even before requesting a transfer, it decides what and where my next mission is going to be?

So 2 questions.

First, am I correct about when the game decides on my next mission? And B, is there a fix or a Mod, or any way around this so I don't have to go half way around the fu(k!ng globe for my mission, and then back again when I am done?

My search skills on the web in general are lacking. I have tried looking threw various threads for an answer to the 2nd question, but if there is one I was unable to find it. I guess I could un-check realistic fuel for that mission and proceed as normal, but then when I transfer back to the Pacific I would have to do the same thing again for my first mission back.

I thank you for your time and would appreciate any info on this.

-StealthRabbit
Old 08-14-20, 06:00 PM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

"Dateline August 15, 1945: The U.S. Department of the Navy regrets to inform you that orders issued into your care, dated approximately August 10, 1942 were in error..." lol

But seriously, yes the game does decide as you dock as to your next mission. This is inline with the "fix" they made for the "repeating missions", wherein the player could get stuck in an endless loop, sort of like Ground Hog Day, and being assigned the same mission orders time after time after time. There is no mod to "fix" what you are experiencing - IF - that's what you are encountering.

Now, there is also the possibility that the files are messed up (since it is RSRDC and lurker, I doubt this), but anything on top of RSRDC has the potential to cause troubles. If you were assigned an East China Sea mission, those are the "fail-safe" missions, that if the game cannot find an applicable file for your next assignment, it will try to assign you one of those ECS missions...

Now, all of that said, this is one of those instances where you disobey orders, and head for the Atlantic. If you are in Pearl (and forgive me - sacrilege - I have forgotten the TMO / RSRDC bases), you would head for San Diego, then the Canal Zone, then the East Coast, then across the raging Atlantic to Scotland, stopping for fuel at every available location, because you just never know. It behooves you to find your "most economical speed", and use that exclusively... You will not find very many targets enroute, but keep your eyes pealed, and sink what you can - no friendlies, and no neutrals though!... coming in with nothing is better than a negative number any day! Good luck, and good hunting! When they are finished with you on the wrong side of the world, be sure and come back, ya hee-ahr?...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna

Last edited by propbeanie; 08-14-20 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Exclusivity!
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-20, 05:03 AM   #3
StealthRabbit
Silent Captain

Eee-yikes. That was some "Fix" someone came up with to counter the Ground Hog Day causality loop phenomenon. For some reason it reminds me of the way gunshot wounds where treated in the Civil War.

"What's that? Been shot in the leg have you? We can 'fix' that. Here, bite down on this stick while these four guys hold you down so I can hack... er I mean, cut off your leg."

"What's that you say? Ether? No no no, no ether. We ran out of that two days ago. But don't worry, you'll probably pass out as the pain gets unbearable... hopefully."

Well, the Civil War analogy might be a little severe. But in this moment only a little.

The way it happened to me in the game was I asked for the transfer which I got, as always, and there I was in Scotland, behind the desk looking at the map on the wall, just like I should have been. However when I went to get my orders they where for a mission in the Pacific. I can't remember exactly where now. This happened like 2 weeks ago.

So I would have to sail from ever-lovin' Scotland all the way to the Pacific to complete what ever incredibly important earth shattering urgent mission that apparently only I can complete. After completing this apparently war saving mission, I would have to sail all the way back, only to end this marathon from hell of a mission in that modern day summer vacation hot spot, warm and sunny Scotland. No, wait a minute... not warm and sunny. No, I meant cold grey and dreary, God forsaken, bad food, worse weather Scotland.

I could always just not do the mission I was given and just stay in the Atlantic. That is always an option. The problem with that is having never played in the Atlantic I have no idea what missions you get there, so I wouldn't know exactly what to do. If I did decide to do the round the globe marathon to complete the mission in the Pacific, it would take a hell of a long time to do so. Like I said in my first post, I could un-check realistic fuel usage for that mission only and just travel everywhere at 'All Ahead Full' or 'Flank Speed' which would save a little time.

Well, it's something for me to think about for a while since I erased that save a few days ago. I will most likely do it the next time around when I do another campaign.

Would you recommend disabling all my mods and then re-enable them with RSRDC being the last one I re-enable? Could it make that much difference?

Thank you for the timely response and your time in a timely way.

-StealthRabbit

Also, to all you Scotts out there. (I'm looking at you Macgregor the Hammer) I was joking about Scotland. I am sure it's a lovely country. And any guy that wears what looks like a dress (I know it's called a kilt) the traditional way with no underwear in that weather year round has my respect and is plenty tough in my book.
Old 08-15-20, 08:31 AM   #4
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 38

"Brothers and sisters are natural enemies! Like Englishmen and Scots! Or Welshmen and Scots! Or Japanese and Scots! Or Scots and other Scots! Damn Scots! They ruined Scotland!" -- Groundskeeper Willie

This same thing happens to me in Op Monsun, where I always seem to want to transfer to the Med. So it is that I find myself in my digs at La Spezia with orders to patrol BF24 off the Irish coast. I just ignore it and use the patrol to recon my new environs.

Do you need to sail from your current base to the Atlantic? Or is it a warp and you just start at the new base? If you need to sail there, make an adventure out of it. Are there any bases along the way? I wouldn't alter settings (unlimited fuel) and make the best of it.

Actually, I wouldn't make this transfer at all. Much better hunting for a US boat in the Pacific I would reckon.
Old 08-17-20, 05:01 AM   #5
StealthRabbit
Silent Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threadfin View Post

<snip some>

Do you need to sail from your current base to the Atlantic? Or is it a warp and you just start at the new base? If you need to sail there, make an adventure out of it. Are there any bases along the way? I wouldn't alter settings (unlimited fuel) and make the best of it.

Actually, I wouldn't make this transfer at all. Much better hunting for a US boat in the Pacific I would reckon.

For me it's different and also, I am playing a U.S. sub.

This is how it goes.

*I am at Midway, I request a transfer to Holy Lock Scotland and I get transferred.

*So now I am in Scotland at Holy Lock.

*I click the map to get my first mission...

* ...and that first mission is all the way back in the Pacific.

This means I would have to sail all the way from Scotland back to the Pacific, accomplish my mission, and then sail all the way back to Scotland when I am done.

A daunting prospect indeed.

If I had to just sail from Midway to Scotland because my mission was in the Atlantic I think it would kind of be a cool challenge and a bit of an adventure, but to sail from the Atlantis to the Pacific and then back to the Atlantic sounds a bit too laborious to me. It would also take up ALLOT of time.

I don't know. I might do it but not right now. I am too perplexed and frustrated by all of it at this moment. I will most likely do it though, just latter. Like a month or two latter.

-StealthRabbit
Old 09-06-20, 05:20 PM   #6
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

winkyvil!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-20, 08:17 PM   #7
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I am running SH4 with TMO with the RSRD-Campaign with all appropriate patches.
I also run a few minor environment/eye candy Mods like
Webster's Eliminate Floating Plankton,
Snarf_Digicamo_allclasses,
BRF 1.3 full,
and Tracer Mod v3 (which looks just fantastic in my opinion)

When the option to transfer to the Atlantic theater came up I took it.
So I get my first war patrol mission orders thinking this will be an interesting change being out of the Pacific only to get orders for a mission in the Pacific... which was more then a little confusing.
-StealthRabbit
rabbit,
one of the mods you applied on top of RSRD is messing up your bases because there are no Atlantic bases in TMO+RSRD.
i am playing the same basic mod set and i can tell you with certainty there are no Atlantic bases.
Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[C:\Ubisoft\TMO_2_5\MODS]

100 TriggerMaru_Overhaul_2-5
101 1.5_Optical Targeting Correction 031312 for TMO 2.5
102 1.5_OTC for 16 to 9 Aspect Ratio_TMO
104 EZ Plot V2.0
300 RSRDC_RFB_V575
301 RSRDC_V5xx_Patch1
400 Webster's Eliminate Floating Plankton
check your mod set again, bro, as these are the only bases in TMO+RSRD.
[Flotilla 1.Base 1]
ID= PearlHarbor
[Flotilla 1.Base 2]
ID=Midway
[Flotilla 1.Base 3]
ID=Majuro
[Flotilla 1.Base 4]
ID=Saipan
[Flotilla 1.Base 5]
ID=Guam
[Flotilla 2.Base 1]
ID= Manila
[Flotilla 2.Base 2]
ID= Surabaya
[Flotilla 2.Base 3]
ID= Fremantle
[Flotilla 2.Base 4]
ID= Mios Woendi
[Flotilla 3.Base 1]
ID= Brisbane
[Flotilla 3.Base 2]
ID= Milne Bay
[Flotilla 3.Base 3]
ID= Manus Island
[Flotilla 3.Base 4]
ID= Subic Bay
[Flotilla 4.Base 1]
ID= DutchHarbor

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-20, 04:29 PM   #8
StealthRabbit
Silent Captain

Thank you for the info. I need to check these boards more often.

So I guess if I want to deploy to the Atlantic I will have to make some changes, or just have a different Mod set on one of my other two SHIV games I have installed, which is what I will most likely do. That way I can try out a few of the other Mods I have been thinking about trying out.

Once again, thanks for the info.
It's not just a game, it's a learning experience.

-StealthRabbit