Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Ironclads
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-09-22, 01:50 PM   #1
Oubaas
中国水兵

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 0
Icon14 TOTAL Ironclads!

Two or three weeks ago, I bought the, "Clad in Iron Bundle" on Steam. I've had so much fun with that series, that I wanted to explore everything from the beginning, so this morning I bought the, "Ironclads 10-in-1 Bundle".

I figure it also supports the cause, with, "Ironclads 3" in development, which I will wishlist as soon as it has a Steam page, and buy upon release.

The Ironclads series is one of the great naval game series of all time, and I'm retired Navy with a lot of naval games. If you have any interest in historical naval warfare, you owe it to yourself to give the series a try. I'd start with the, "Clad in Iron" series first. If you catch the fever, you can grab the 10-in-1 bundle later.

Does it have a learning curve? Yes. But there's a manual and tutorial videos if you want them. I just took my time, explored the interface, and jumped right in. It didn't take long until I was completely comfortable playing. If you can handle the Graviteam Tactics series (another of my favorites) you'll have no trouble with the Ironclads series.

The games are not expensive, and Maxim and the team use the purchase revenue to buy reference materials for researching more series content.

So I'd highly recommend that you give the series a try. My reaction has been to acquire all of it, it's that good. First rate game-play experience. I play it a lot. You can get lost for hours, and lose track of time. I'm really looking forward to, "Ironclads 3".

One note for Maxim, "Victorian Admirals" in the 10-in-1 bundle on Steam features an image that has nothing to do with the game. It says, "VEGAS: Make It B!g!". Thus far, I haven't encountered any Las Vegas scenarios in any of the series titles, LOL! Thought you might like to know. I guess Steam stuck the wrong image to one of your games.

Cheers!

Rick

Oubaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-22, 04:03 PM   #2
Oubaas
中国水兵

Having done some testing today, every one of these games runs fine in Windows 10 64-bit for me at 2560 x 1440 resolution with 144Hz refresh rate. And they all look good. The game-play is even better.

Whichever game you're going to run, be sure to run, "config.exe" in the game's folder first, to set your resolution, etc. They all have it.

Your degree of control and involvement will vary, with the newer titles going more in-depth in player ability to manage things, but they're all a lot of fun.

So no worries on modern systems at modern resolutions.

The only title in the bunch that isn't in danger of becoming my favorite is the very first Ironclads. And that can be forgiven, it was the first time out of the chute. And "Ironclads: American Civil War" is kind of superseded by the same coverage in later games.

Every other title in the series ranges from very good to great. And I'm glad that I have the original. History and all that.
Old 05-10-22, 02:59 AM   #3
Maxim
Totem Games

Downloads: 0

Our first game was bad. We didn't know how, but we decided to make a game. We made a game. This was our first achievement.

With each next game, we did the same thing, but better. We never aspired to money, but we realized that nothing can be done without money at all.

You bought a 10 in 1 bundle from the SFI publishing house. Unfortunately, we do not support these games and therefore cannot change anything in them. If there are problems with these games, then we give the keys to our new games for free.

And yes, my wife says it's time for me to open a library of naval history books. Hell, I started to understand a little Spanish or German to read some books.

It was an amazing experience. I spoke with historians from the USA, Spain and Germany. I remember my excitement when I picked up a large package with drawings of Spanish cruisers from the Spanish Navy Museum in the mail.
Maxim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-22, 08:02 AM   #4
Oubaas
中国水兵

Icon14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxim View Post
Our first game was bad. We didn't know how, but we decided to make a game. We made a game. This was our first achievement.

With each next game, we did the same thing, but better. We never aspired to money, but we realized that nothing can be done without money at all.

You bought a 10 in 1 bundle from the SFI publishing house. Unfortunately, we do not support these games and therefore cannot change anything in them. If there are problems with these games, then we give the keys to our new games for free.

And yes, my wife says it's time for me to open a library of naval history books. Hell, I started to understand a little Spanish or German to read some books.

It was an amazing experience. I spoke with historians from the USA, Spain and Germany. I remember my excitement when I picked up a large package with drawings of Spanish cruisers from the Spanish Navy Museum in the mail.

My interest in the entire series has deepened since buying the, "Clad in Iron" bundle. The fact that you were able to produce a playable game the very first time, not being career game developers at the start, is amazing. My own programming forays went about as far as creating a window with radio buttons and drop downs menus, inside which a red ball ricocheted around, LOL!

I'm glad that I have the first game, as it gives a player the some insight on how well and quickly the titles advanced.

I went through the 10-in-1 yesterday and tried out most of the titles. I didn't have a single problem with any of them. They provide a nice array of difficulty and involvement, ranging from relaxing with minimal involvement, for when I just want to watch a naval battle, to in-depth player involvement.

All of the titles look good and run fine under Windows 10 64-bit, at modern resolutions. They have aged well. I haven't had any problems. As long as they remember to run config.exe in the game folder to set options, I don't think that many people would have any trouble running them, and every title that I tried is very worthwhile.

I have the same comments from my wife. She also says that I have a military history library. And since I started playing the Ironclads series, my interests have broadened. I added a few books about the Spanish-American War to my reading list yesterday evening, and will eventually be searching out background books on the other conflicts covered by the games.

Thanks for a great series of historic naval games, Maxim! I get hour upon hour of enjoyment from these titles.
Old 05-10-22, 08:10 AM   #5
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

That's what is great about a game like the Ironclad series, it's not mainstream, it covers an area of interest overlooked by other developers. And the devs truly love the subject matter.
Old 05-11-22, 09:29 AM   #6
whecsailor
Nub

Downloads: 16
Default Agree totally

I too have the entire series and have enjoyed it greatly over the years.
Like you, I follow every post for the III version and was really excited when I saw they were bringing in sidewheel steamers into the game. My hat is off to this team developing the series and when released. I'll be in line to get all that they offer every time.

There is only one thing I would like to see added, a way to "build a scenerio. (i.e. Chose what ships on what sides and what map for what if battles. )
whecsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-22, 06:31 AM   #7
Maxim
Totem Games

Thanks for your support! It is very important for us. We would also like to remind you that you can leave your review of our games on Steam. For us it is very important (at least a few words).

We know that custom battle is an important and interesting mode. He is always on the wish list of our players. Only the extreme limitations of our resources do not allow us to fulfill all wishes.
Maxim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-22, 12:32 PM   #8
whecsailor
Nub

Downloads: 16
Default To Maxim, Ill do that

Ill do that Posting right as soon as I get home tomorrow! Thank you for an excellent program.
whecsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-22, 01:50 AM   #9
HistoryPlayer
Swabbie

Hi, Im new in Subsim. I also followed all Totem Games from Victorian Admirals to Clad in Iron saga. I am very interested in this fascinating period of history in 19th century with an interesting development in naval technology from wooden sail ships of the line to pre-dreadnought era. I am interested in everything related to ironclads since I played for first time Shogun 2 Total War Fall of the Samurai and later on Ironclads/Clad in Iron saga.

I think nobody mentioned here but there is a new title on Steam: Clad in Iron Chincha Islands 1866 that was released on 15 November 2022. Unfortunately I don´t have much time to play now but a first quick look I´d say is a big improvement over the previous game Ironclads: Chincha Islands War 1866 released on 2011 and similar to Clad in Iron: Philippines 1898. It´s about a coalition between Chile and Peru against Spain, very interesting scenario, I strongly recommend all of you to take a look at this one which is becoming one of my favourite titles.

I think Totem Games is increasing the quality of the games quite a lot, hopefully they keep on bringing interesting titles such as Clad in Iron Philippines 1898 and Clad in Iron Chincha Islands War 1866, my favourites so far.
HistoryPlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-22, 10:41 AM   #10
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

HistoryPlayer!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-22, 03:38 PM   #11
Oubaas
中国水兵

Icon14

I need to pick up the Chincha Islands 1866 addition. I didn't even know it was released.