SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-28-19, 04:35 PM   #31
CDR DPH
Helmsman

Downloads: 18
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicheBach View Post

However, I disagree with you that it is "pointless,"
More along the lines of buying a Volkswagen and then suggesting with a little more work it could be Porsche. While that statement may be true, the point of producing a VW or in this case Cold Waters was not to make a Porsche or a Silent Hunter variant.

Anything can be "so much more" but at some point developers say enough, that's all its going to be. I am of the opinion that CW is as fleshed out as it is ever going to get. At best we can hope for a better mission editor, perhaps the ability to import mesh designs for different subs and some of the minor outstanding issues polished up.

If you wish to tilt at windmills on every site you come across, that is your prerogative but I assume when doing so you realize that your horizon will not be getting much closer than it is now.

Hope springs eternal = denial in most cases.

You might enjoy the game more if you play it for what it is and not what you wish it was.
CDR DPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-19, 10:07 AM   #32
DicheBach
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julhelm View Post
More likely your SH lookouts are spotting the smoke.
RIGHT!

Since CDR-PH is on a roll here with his patronizing me for offering you folks some constructive feedback, just let me offer some clarification.

Much respect for what you have achieved here. Wonderful game, well worth what I paid for it. Engrossing, engaging, well-balanced, excellent tutorials and reference materials, based on what little I know about the actual subject of the game, seems to be an excellent balance between realism and playability, app performs well, all the assets are good to excellent (voice, sounds, models, anims, textures, etc.). 8.75/10.

What would make it a 10/10?

Read my previous comments.

Given you guys are GAME DEVELOPERS and have been for quite some time, I'm honestly not too worried that my harsh feedback is going to cause you any undue stress or strain. I'm also quite confident that, you can weigh such feedback for what it is worth, i.e., (a) hmmm, this guy is so full of **** I can smell him through the screen < (b) hmmm, seems like some reasonable ideas, but who cares! We are already rolling in bank from the units we sold with the exact design we implemented! Why would we fix it if it ain't broke!? < (c) hmmm, you know he does make some good points, and this isn't the first time we've had this type of feedback. Maybe for next project we could take some of these points into mind from the ground up during design and maybe expand our market appeal a bit, maybe sell more units??

Now CDR here, sorry to get your panties in a wad bro
Old 03-03-19, 01:26 AM   #33
Berserker
Aggressive skipper

Downloads: 2166

Cold waters maps..You cannot zoom in like sh4 and it makes it hard for those wih poor eyes to find out where the hell your
are supposed to go...
Old 03-03-19, 02:30 AM   #34
bstanko6
Admiral

Downloads: 390
Uploads: 13

My issue is that CW is your typical run of the mill modern sub game that we seen before in SSN, 688i, DW, and so forth. You get a scenario, and you have to solve it. In CW at least you can move your sub around the world, and some options can effect your mission, but it is still lacking.

I like the SH series because it features a dynamic campaign, where how you begin it, and transit, and approach your patrol area can have an effect on your game.

*I want to see a hybrid of SH5 style immersion, walking your boat, interacting with your crew, starting from pier to zone.

*Then mix in some DW style game play, with more of a CW Russian story, than your typical US one.

*Then for your transit, you can have a Silent Steel like interaction or "scenario" situations pop up along with other mini game style interactions, where wrong answers can effect your long term game.

I dont like hearing no one will play that, because they said the same thing when SH1 came out. You cant say no one will buy it, because they said the same thing about SSN and SH3. Subsim alone is a built in audience that will play a game like this,a nd will wait a long time for it... jus tlook at UBOAT on Steam! I mean it is a typical German uboat game with the "Sims" game attached, and I know most of you as well as myself will buy it... why? because we are true nerds, and we love this crap!!!

With kickstarters and other ways of raising money, I know it can be done. We just need someone out there who is willing to take the time and make the game.

No more excuses, time for SH6! Cold War!
bstanko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-19, 02:48 AM   #35
GeneralGamer
Navy Dude

Downloads: 158
Uploads: 3

SHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
Cold waters maps..You cannot zoom in like sh4 and it makes it hard for those wih poor eyes to find out where the hell your
are supposed to go...

I agree. Zoom would be a fantastic addition to the main map. I heard CW is done with updates, but just one more.....update PLS

Visit, like and suscribe.

is the best!!!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwe...1_CdFU_Mw4-SrQ

GeneralGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-19, 06:41 PM   #36
DicheBach
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstanko6 View Post
My issue is that CW is your typical run of the mill modern sub game that we seen before in SSN, 688i, DW, and so forth. You get a scenario, and you have to solve it. In CW at least you can move your sub around the world, and some options can effect your mission, but it is still lacking.

I like the SH series because it features a dynamic campaign, where how you begin it, and transit, and approach your patrol area can have an effect on your game.

*I want to see a hybrid of SH5 style immersion, walking your boat, interacting with your crew, starting from pier to zone.

*Then mix in some DW style game play, with more of a CW Russian story, than your typical US one.

*Then for your transit, you can have a Silent Steel like interaction or "scenario" situations pop up along with other mini game style interactions, where wrong answers can effect your long term game.

I dont like hearing no one will play that, because they said the same thing when SH1 came out. You cant say no one will buy it, because they said the same thing about SSN and SH3. Subsim alone is a built in audience that will play a game like this,a nd will wait a long time for it... jus tlook at UBOAT on Steam! I mean it is a typical German uboat game with the "Sims" game attached, and I know most of you as well as myself will buy it... why? because we are true nerds, and we love this crap!!!

With kickstarters and other ways of raising money, I know it can be done. We just need someone out there who is willing to take the time and make the game.

No more excuses, time for SH6! Cold War!
Hear! Hear!

Totally agree, though I cannot "blame" any developer for making the game they made, and that is not even part of my intent. Just to get a game to market which runs well and makes the developer a living earns me enormous respect, I do not intend to second guess their decisions.

With that said, as a user, if I imagine myself in the shoes of the developer, I like to think I would appreciate constructive feedback along the lines of "what would make me love this game even more long time . . ."

In addition to SH6 Cold War, I would like to see an SH6.5 Post-Cold War, and an SH6.75, Future War which explores hypothetical future developments in naval warfare.
Old 04-19-19, 11:24 AM   #37
GoldenRivet
Subsim Aviator

Downloads: 146

I will say, i have learned that the enemy subs don't necessarily go active sonar until its reasonably certain they have detected you via passive sonar first. NOW

However, in past instances of the game, i find that it almost never matters where i am above or below the Strong layer / Strong Duct - whether i am ultra quiet and set for 2 knots there doesnt appear to be any rhyme or reason as to how well the enemy boats can hear me on passive sonar.

My frustrations have stemmed from being detected almost immediately when the mission starts. campaign, single mission, doesn't matter. More often than not, before i can even issue my first orders here it comes PING PING "con sonar, launch transient..." and within literally seconds, im in a fight for my life zigging and zagging at flank speed launching decoys and forming knuckles while evading seven or eight torpedoes. and all i had time to do was start the mission and order ultra quiet.

with the latest releases this has diminished a lot actually - i can now at least maneuver my boat into baffles at great range and catch up to the target before taking them out at knife fight range.

note*

in rigging for ultra quiet and ordering speed reduction to 2 knots you have to do it in a specific order.

if you order two knots THEN order ultra quiet - the water fall and your noise values react as if you are moving at 5 knots (since this is the default ultra quiet speed) even though you are still at 2 knots ordered.

However, if you order ultra quiet THEN order 2 knots, the noise values and water fall are at the actual 2 knots.
Old 04-21-19, 08:32 PM   #38
NeonsStyle
Chief

Downloads: 187

I just wish the game had first person, or at least an interior point of view.

I agree with many of your points. One of the best things I found in SH4 was being hunted by Destroyers, and you really got the feeling for when you were
found and when you were evading them. It was gripping. You can get a sense of that in CW however it's never gripping like it was in SH4.

I love Cold Waters, and loving making a series on it, however I just wish there was more to it. A global map would be awesome, or an ability to play as different nations. Having ships of BOTH sides present in the game would add a lot. Having to be concerned with friendly fire would help too.

It's just a shame it's not first person.

NeonsStyle

Hit me up in the Comments or Discussion on my channel or message me on:

NeonsStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-19, 04:26 PM   #39
johan_d
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 113
Uploads: 1
Icon13

1.15 or something, tried the tutorial, about torpedoes.
While 30 seconds in, reading some text on the screen my boat was hit by something flying in the air.

Edit: I understand now what they did, but its a bit fast for a tutorial..

Last edited by johan_d; 08-04-19 at 06:53 AM.
johan_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-19, 11:50 PM   #40
MrMojok69
Loader

Downloads: 78

I've been a member here for about fifteen years or more, just haven't posted in a long time and all my old posts got lost somehow. But I came here to talk about this.

It's a really fun game, in my opinion. We must keep in mind that the devs are trying to make a product that is fun and cinematic, to maximize sales, but I think the game is very well-done overall. I'd like to see map-drawing tools, as many have mentioned.

For whatever reason, going back to 688 and Sub Command, I've always had an obsession with killing Alfas. I guess it's the top speed, depth, and titanium hull.

Anyway, tonight I had a hell of a fight with one. I had fired an active-homing torp, and a little behind that, a passive-homing torp. I think I learned that tactic from these very forums years ago. The active one comes in first and bangs away with pings he can hear, he deploys countermeasures and maneuvers, and then the passive one comes in behind and homes in on his cavitation.

Well, he ran up to 43 kts or whatever his top speed is, and then followed an absolutely amazing sequence that lasted about four minutes where I had both these torpedoes right on him, but he was constantly changing depth and course. I still had the wires and would switch from one torp to another, trying to harry him with one while the other ran out and looped around to come in for the kill.

I was cheating by looking in the F3 view and manually controlling the torpedoes, trying to guide them onto him, but it was incredible how many times one passed right over or under his hull. I got him eventually, but I tip my cap to that virtual Soviet sub captain. It was just an absolute thrill.
MrMojok69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-19, 09:14 AM   #41
johan_d
Samurai Navy

Nice story.

I think the game will be much more difficult when you dont look at the 3D screen, and maximise the nav screen.

After all, thats what they see inside a real sub.. no lookie lookie outside.
Old 08-03-19, 05:33 PM   #42
MrMojok69
Loader

Downloads: 78

It's true, you are absolutely right. But the simple fact I've had to acknowledge over the past few days is that I'm just not very good at this game

I've realized it's best just to let the torpedoes do their own thing. But I don't think I could ever effectively evade airdropped torpedoes without using the 3D view. Hell I would have trouble evading most torps without the 3D view.
MrMojok69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-19, 03:25 AM   #43
johan_d
Samurai Navy

You are further with the game then me, just scouting a bit around..

Sink em all!
Old 08-08-19, 09:02 AM   #44
CDR DPH
Helmsman

Downloads: 18

That's the truth isn't it - It is hard to avoid incoming fire you can't see on sonar approaching from behind when you are at flank speed.

The solution, don't draw fire. If playing without the 3D view you *must* dog-leg your shots, your *must* clear datum, you *must* carefully watch your sonar signature. Bugger any of these up and there is a good chance you will die.

Sometimes, against a force with some capable sub killer ships, you just have to accept that all you can reasonably hope to accomplish is dealing with your primary objective(s) and then get out of Dodge - while you still can.
CDR DPH is offline   Reply With Quote