SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-03-19, 06:26 AM   #1
HeinrichKreuz
Nub

Downloads: 42
Uploads: 0
Default Battle of the Atlantic: Any book recommendations?

Hallo Kaleuns

I recently started playing SHIII w. GWX 3.0 and 100% realism, which is fun. (The feeling when 1 out of 4 torpedoes you shoot actually hit while the others fly away or detonate prematurely). I have taken a great interest in the battle of the atlantic and, as a result, i have decided to join this forum after a few years of lurking as i think it is a great community.

I wanted to ask you passionate people if you have any book recommendations regarding The Battle of the Atlantic - I am looking for a book that gives an overall chronological view of the campaign from both sides, both regarding u-boats but also the german capital raiders etc. If anyone have read Anthony Beevors 'Stalingrad', (great book by the way, to those of you who haven't) it is this type of book i am looking for - Historical accounts from both sides, made into a stable, as-objective-as-possible narrative.

One thing is googling, but if one of you have read a book that you clearly recommend i would rather follow that advise.

Thanks for your help in advance, and i look forward to discussing SH III and u-boats in general on this forum in the future!
HeinrichKreuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-19, 11:21 AM   #2
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

Quote:
I wanted to ask you passionate people if you have any book recommendations regarding The Battle of the Atlantic - I am looking for a book that gives an overall chronological view of the campaign from both sides, both regarding u-boats but also the german capital raiders etc.
HeinrichKreuz! TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=2614211&postcount=9

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-19, 11:32 AM   #3
HeinrichKreuz
Nub

Downloads: 42

Thanks for the reply. I'll acquire them ASAP
HeinrichKreuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-19, 03:48 PM   #4
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Sorry I missed this earlier. A couple of good books I've picked up over the decades are:

The Battle of The Atlantic, by Terry Hughes and John Costello. There are many books of the same title, and it may be that some of the newer ones are better, but this one has a special place in my library. The authors are less concerned with individual stories than with the balance sheet. Each section has a brief list of Allied merchant losses vs U-Boat losses, compared with new construction of both. When the lend-lease program begins and the U.S. start building Liberty and Victory ships the numbers are staggering, and you can see why Blair made his famous comment about the Germans never really having a chance of winning that campaign.
https://www.amazon.com/Battle-Atlant...s=books&sr=1-1

War Beneath the Sea, by Peter Padfield. Padfield is one of the great Naval Historians, bar none. This book is not just about the Atlantic, and it may not interest you. What it is, is an overview of the Submarine War. All of it. The German U-Boat campaign? Sure. American subs in the Pacific? Check. Japanese submarines? Yep. Also British subs, including all the experimental models and what they accomplished - and didn't. Dutch subs.

All that said, it's not a technical review of each class. I have those to, if you want that kind of study. This book is about the campaigns run by each nation and how they progressed. If you want a good look at what each country tried to accomplish with their submarines, this is the best. And you can buy a brand-new hardcover copy for less than the Kindle version!
https://www.amazon.com/War-Beneath-S...s=books&sr=1-2

Tags
battle of the atlantic, book recommendations, u-boats