SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop > DW Mission Designers' Forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-09-20, 05:06 PM   #1
rentacow
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 55
Uploads: 0
Default Knowledge is Power (Peacetime) RA 1.50

Humanity knows more about the surface of the Moon, than the bottom of Earth's oceans.

Welcome to the US Navy's Marine Species Monitoring Program! Put down your BLUE BOOK and pickup your NOTE BOOK because you'll be doing real-world science in this non-traditional Dangerous Waters singleplayer experience. I created this mission in order to re-learn the functions of the editor. It is intended as a sort of "digital interactive essay" on the subject of US Navy marine research.

Platform: O.H. Perry Class
Difficulty: Peacetime
Duration: 3 hours realtime, <1 hour time compressed.

Gameplay Notes: Unfortunately the OH Perry cannot listen to broadband audio, and biologics don't have frequency lines. Simply listen for the "Report!" sound byte to alert you to new pop-up messages and command your vessel according to the instructions given.

Paste the following into a blank ".mu" file, and place it in your scenario folder:

https://pastebin.com/whD9wMTy

Scenario was created with RA 1.50 mod. One wav file sound effect, "REPORT.wav", included with the RA 1.50 distributon is used. Big shoutout to Stewy1 for his awesome VACAPES map!

Thank you and enjoy!

To learn more about the Mid-Atlantic Offshore Cetacean Study, visit https://www.navymarinespeciesmonitor...etacean-study/

Last edited by rentacow; 11-12-20 at 08:53 PM.
rentacow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-20, 05:48 PM   #2
Captain Reyes
Bosun

Downloads: 19

Excellent, looking forward to play it
Captain Reyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-20, 08:22 PM   #3
rentacow
Machinist's Mate

I look forward to hearing what you think!

BTW, small design flaw on my part: all of the pop-up messages can be hard to distinguish the end of one, and the start of another. There is some key text early in the mission that MAY be overlooked.

This text is simply instructions to STOP and WAIT 5 MINUTES near the middle of the grid squares indicated. A pop-up message will let you know when the 5 minutes has passed and the goal is completed.

Hopefully this saves some confusion. Otherwise, the rest of the mission should run smooth.

EDIT: After some playtesting, it seems there may be at least two important pop-up messages which can easily be overlooked due to my mediocre design. While playing this mission, whenever in doubt, please just carefully read back through the message log and check if some instructions got "buried" by additional flavor text. I have learned an important design lesson: important text cannot be immediately followed by text of no consequence.

Last edited by rentacow; 11-10-20 at 10:05 PM.
Old 11-10-20, 03:21 PM   #4
Stewy1
Girt by Sea

Downloads: 130
Uploads: 32

Thanks for this - I'll check it out! This looks like a really interesting mission idea.

Quote:
Big shoutout to Stewy1 for his awesome VACAPES map!
You're very welcome, sir!
Stew
Old 11-10-20, 09:22 PM   #5
rentacow
Machinist's Mate

No seriously, thank you! Locating the real world survey area on the in game map was a breeze, thanks to your hard work! Every geographic location mentioned in the mission and the real-world annual survey reports for the study, can be identified on your map. I think this improves the mission greatly for players who care to have a look.

Last edited by rentacow; 11-10-20 at 09:51 PM.
Old 11-11-20, 06:12 AM   #6
p7p8
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 136
Uploads: 6

Scenario interesting for reading

I don't like this kind of maps: too much lines makes battles very difficult from Weapon coordinator or Weapon control stations because player cannot manage filters. Lines turned off on map (F5) are still visible on stations (F8 and F10/F12). It looks really messy
Old 11-11-20, 07:16 PM   #7
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentacow View Post

I have learned an important design lesson: important text cannot be immediately followed by text of no consequence.
Cow; That's what makes it "real world". Cross talk in comms traffic is just a fact of life. I'm looking forward to goofing around with this mission.

ET2SN is online   Reply With Quote