SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS > Mods Workshop for Cold Waters
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-16-19, 05:02 PM   #1
Antimatter
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Questions about Playable Subs mod and modding in general

Hi all

I found the Playable Subs mod and really like it, but it adds a long list of subs, making it hard to navigate the sonar profile list. I'd only like to add a few more subs to the default game.

1. Other than the arrow buttons and the "sub", "warship", and "civilian ship" buttons, are there any shortcuts to navigating the list of sonar profiles? If I edit the vessel list, what's the most efficient way to order the vessels? (Right now, the Playable Subs vessel list is ordered by nationality, not vessel type)

2. One idea is to take the default folder and add a few files from the Playable Subs mod.

If I only want to add the Virginia class subs, what are the steps I need to take? I've tried adding "usn_ssn_virginia.txt", editing "_vessel_list.txt", adding a profile picture, adding a sonar profile image, and adding "Textures/usn_ssn_virginia.png". However, this causes parts of the game not to load properly. What am I missing?

Are the instructions different if I want to add a UK sub (since there's a modified UI) or the Gotland class sub (since there's no file in the Textures folder)?

What are the instructions for adding a GBR sub (like the Resolution class)? Why are these subs listed under "GBR" instead of "UK", and why don't they have text files in the vessels folder?

Also, attempting to use the Resolution in some of the Playable Subs versions of "The Duel" mission causes the game to crash. Is there a way to fix this?

There's also a file in the Textures folder called "usn_ssn_starfleet.png" but no corresponding text files. Anyone know what type of sub this texture file corresponds to? How can I turn this texture file into a playable sub?

3. Another idea is to delete all of the unwanted subs from the Playable Subs folder. What are the steps that I'd need to take to remove a sub?

4. The Playable Subs text files use a different return carriage symbol that causes the text to run together when viewed in notepad. Is there an easy way to replace all the return carriage symbols? Are there any downsides to making this change? Does it affect game performance in any way?

5. I'd also like to add a new sub. What are the steps that I need to take? Is there a guide somewhere on how to create the 3d model?

I'd like to add the Barbel class sub (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbel-class_submarine). Anyone know of an existing mod that includes it?

The Barbel class looks similar to the Skipjack class and has the same torpedo tube layout but is smaller. How would I modify the Skipjack model to create a Barbel? Is there a way to keep the torpedo tube size the same while scaling everything else down?

Thanks for any help
Old 02-16-19, 06:45 PM   #2
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Default welcome aboard!

Antimatter!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-19, 10:36 PM   #3
MrMojok69
Loader

Downloads: 78

Sorry for the necro-bump, but does anyone have any answers for antimatter's questions above? These are things I would like to experiment with as well.

I have been trying to make an updated version of the stock 1984 North Atlantic campaign, and update it to be 2004 or so, with all the newer vessels. Try as I might I cannot, for example, get Alfa2 to work in there (I do realize it's a fictional vessel)
MrMojok69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-19, 08:01 PM   #4
VDNKh
Swabbie

Downloads: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMojok69 View Post
Sorry for the necro-bump, but does anyone have any answers for antimatter's questions above? These are things I would like to experiment with as well.

I have been trying to make an updated version of the stock 1984 North Atlantic campaign, and update it to be 2004 or so, with all the newer vessels. Try as I might I cannot, for example, get Alfa2 to work in there (I do realize it's a fictional vessel)
Does it work in single missions? Did you add it to "campaign\maps\(map name)_sea_traffic "?
VDNKh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-19, 01:11 AM   #5
MrMojok69
Loader

I actually didn't know about the sea traffic file. Thank you, I will check that out.
Old 08-16-19, 01:31 AM   #6
MrMojok69
Loader

What determines whether or not subs display in the signature tab, as you click through?

In this 2004 campaign I'm working on, I have Akula1 and Akula2 showing up in the game, and they can be auto-classified eventually, but they don't show up with the other russian subs as I click through.
Old 08-16-19, 11:37 AM   #7
VDNKh
Swabbie

Quote:
What determines whether or not subs display in the signature tab, as you click through?

In this 2004 campaign I'm working on, I have Akula1 and Akula2 showing up in the game, and they can be auto-classified eventually, but they don't show up with the other russian subs as I click through.
As far as I know the sea traffic map file under OtherVessels= is what does that.
Old 08-20-19, 12:35 AM   #8
MrMojok69
Loader

That was it. I had edited so many files I had screwed them up and had to go back to the original "default" and "override" folders. Thank you.

edit: By playing around with these files I figured out how to set it up so that only Russian and civilian/biological contacts show up in the signature window when I’m playing as American in the North Atlantic campaign. And the opposite for when I’m playing as the Russians.

My mouse-clicking finger is much less fatigued.

Last edited by MrMojok69; 08-20-19 at 08:34 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 08-23-19, 02:51 PM   #9
VDNKh
Swabbie

Quote:
That was it. I had edited so many files I had screwed them up and had to go back to the original "default" and "override" folders. Thank you.

edit: By playing around with these files I figured out how to set it up so that only Russian and civilian/biological contacts show up in the signature window when I’m playing as American in the North Atlantic campaign. And the opposite for when I’m playing as the Russians.

My mouse-clicking finger is much less fatigued.
Awesome. Not sure why it wasn't like that to begin with.
Old 01-19-21, 01:29 PM   #10
chronic_hedgehog
Nub

Downloads: 2
Default Problems displaying all toolbars

Hi, for some reason I'm unable to get alll the toolbars to diplay when following the instructions listed here:- https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/dow...o=file&id=5567

I've triple checked that I've followed the steps and attempted multiple times.

Is there something obvious I'm missing?

All help is appreciated.
chronic_hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-21, 09:03 AM   #11
steel shark
XO

Downloads: 48
Uploads: 5

Default try this

you need to go to your huds folders in coldwaters i dont know what you are running coldwaters version wise but it the same any how

at the bottom of your huds text files are the positions for the 3 boxes so :

default.txt

for example

//All positions in screen pixels
//From element's default anchored screen corner/position
//Toolbar position 0,0, (1 to anchor to minimap or 0 for no anchor)
//Default toolbars overlap and enabled via tabs/keys

// Standard: One visible panel above the minimap
//ToolbarsPos=0,0,1
//ForceAllToolbarsOn=FALSE
//HelmToolbarOffset=0,0
//DiveToolbarOffset=0,0
//SensorToolbarOffset=0,0

// 3 visible panels to the right of the minimap vertically
ToolbarsPos=0,0,0
ForceAllToolbarsOn=TRUE
HelmToolbarOffset=331,-200
DiveToolbarOffset=331,-270
SensorToolbarOffset=331,-340

// 3 visible at the bottom horizontally
//ToolbarsPos=0,0,0
//ForceAllToolbarsOn=TRUE
//HelmToolbarOffset=361,-346
//DiveToolbarOffset=700,-346
//SensorToolbarOffset=1039,-346

// means its disabled ------ no // means its enabled so above hear we can see that

// 3 visible panels to the right of the minimap vertically
ToolbarsPos=0,0,0
ForceAllToolbarsOn=TRUE
HelmToolbarOffset=331,-200
DiveToolbarOffset=331,-270
SensorToolbarOffset=331,-340

is in use

P.S you cold try pasting the above ones that you want in to your huds txt

do a safety back up copy tho first and you need to relaunch the game or add remove mods with manager for it to take effect

note if you want to add text to remind your self of stuff in vessels files or any were add // first for example :

//Prop
[Model]
ModelFile=ships/wp_ssn_akula1/wp_ssn_akula1
MeshPosition=0,0.0002,-0.61280
MeshProp=wp_ssn_akula1_prop

//Propcover
ModelFile=weapons/assets/usn_tasm
Material=ships/usn_ssn_los_angeles/usn_ssn_los_angeles_mat
MaterialTextures=vessels/textures/black.png

MeshPosition=0,0.0002,-0.6223

MeshRotation=-180,0,0

Mesh=TASM_Canister

i added

//prop

so i knew what it was easier

Steel Shark
Old 01-20-21, 03:30 PM   #12
chronic_hedgehog
Nub

Downloads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel shark View Post

// means its disabled ------ no // means its enabled

This is what I was missing, knowing that has helped me work out what I was doing wrong, Thank you for your help.
chronic_hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-21, 03:36 AM   #13
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy

Default welcome aboard!

chronic_hedgehog!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Old 04-20-23, 02:31 PM   #14
KingEider
Cadet

Default no go with changing hud view

My default.txt has one more line to it after hud layout which is not shown in the how to?
[HUD LAYOUT]
//ONLY THE FIRST HUD CALLED HAS LAYOUT POSITIONS APPLIED UNLESS RETURNING TO MAIN MENU
//All positions in screen pixels
//From element's default anchored screen corner/position
BottomLeftPanelPos=0,0
also will the toolbar offsets work with 2560x1440

and the question i should have asked firstly was does this work with dot mod
v0.4 a-2b
KingEider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-23, 11:51 AM   #15
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Default Welcome aboard!

KingEider!