SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop > DW Mission Designers' Forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-17-22, 11:48 PM   #1
Stewy1
Girt by Sea

Downloads: 131
Uploads: 34

Default Pacific Northwest Map

After making the P3-C of VP-40, I realised it needed its home base at Naval Air Station Whidbey Is - so I made a map of the Pacific Northwest!

Great for deep-water ASW training (or surveillance! )

In the downloads section now:
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/dow...o=file&id=6271

Enjoy!
Stew
Old 12-18-22, 06:25 AM   #2
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 58
Uploads: 0

For a different kind of challenge, try driving a fast attack or an Ohio from Bremerton into the straits (don't forget to add some traffic) and then on to the Pacific. If you're heading west, be sure to stay on the Canadian side and maintain 15 knots.

Heading to Bremerton from the coast is a little more tricky. Stay on the US side and watch out for shoal water near Port Angeles. Again, maintain 15 knots in the straits. This gets tricky again when you make the big turn south for Bremerton, but you have enough water to drive past Bremerton and Seattle.

Its a lot of fun, it feels like you're driving the ship down a large interstate highway.

ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-22, 07:39 AM   #3
Stewy1
Girt by Sea

Downloads: 131
Uploads: 34

Thanks Bob for the insight,

As an Aussie, I really didn't realize the 'network' of straits to get to Bremerton or Bangor/Kitsap - it'd be 'hairy' for a junior officer to navigate a boomer out to the Pacific!

Very sadly indeed, the naval installations at Bremerton, Bangor and Puget Sound are all too 'shallow' to get any of the DW vessels into...a bit like Faslane in the UK...

An LA will 'just' get into Everett (in DW - but not an Ohio or Seawolf) and it's also possible to dock at the Naval Magazine at Indian Island - and the Canadian base at Esquimalt.

I read that SEALs trained in the Olympic National Forest, but I think community complaints have stopped that?

I just did a 'knock together' mission, to photograph 10 trawlers operating in the salmon fisheries of southern Oregon, in my P3...it all went well until I was shot down by a mobile fishing base - who I didn't know was equipped with Stingers!

From my research, it really looks like a beautiful part of the world! I enjoyed putting the map together.

Cheers Bob,
Stew
Old 12-18-22, 01:39 PM   #4
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 58
Uploads: 0

For Bremerton, if you run in slow and really crank in your map detail, you can find enough deep water to get pretty close to land.
Get just a little south of where the base is supposed to be and you'll find some channels. I've done it in an RA Ohio. In fact, you can drive an Ohio class from Bremerton all the way to the open ocean.

If you're feeling burned out with DW, try it sometime. Long before you become the terror of the open ocean, you have to know how to drive the boat. You can drive from Bremerton to the open ocean in about 8 hours of game time.

Kings Bay, Ga. is also very tricky but do-able. Again, look for the deeper water channels.

Bangor is almost do-able in a 688 except for where the bridge would be at the entrance to the inlet. I think you could squeeze a DDG past it.

We took the USS Bremerton from Hawaii to Bangor. Its was a long maneuvering watch but also a lot of fun. It would have been nice to grill sliders top side during the transit, but the 15 knot speed limit made it impossible. Time really IS money in the straits and they want you to get from point A to point B as quick as possible.

It would have been neat to dock the Bremerton at the city she named after, but typical for the 698, they didn't have any room for us.
ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote