SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Special Projects > Subsim Events & Activities > Best of Subsim
Forget password? Reset here

View Poll Results: Most Helpful Member of the Year
Blackswan 40 5 7.94%
Plissken_04 21 33.33%
gap 9 14.29%
NeonSamurai 16 25.40%
MaMa 12 19.05%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-21-15, 08:11 AM   #1
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

gear Vote here for Best of Subsim 2015: Most Helpful Member of the Year

Early jump on the New Year:

Most Helpful Member - Blackswan 40. It's a short post so I've included the whole thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackswan40 View Post
Ahoy Delta Wolf I have a brand new copy of SH3 still in cellophane the disk
is already patched to 1.4 has no starfore protection ill send it to you pm me your home addy I live in west Yorkshire England will send it Saturday morning
always best to have a backup if things go kitty wumpass
AT SUBSIM THE PRIDE RUNS DEEP WE LOOK-AFTER OUR OWN
Many of us have done this same sort of thing, but it still brings a smile to my face when I see someone going that extra mile to help someone get sorted out.
Old 06-13-15, 09:55 AM   #2
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Most Helpful Member: Plissken_04
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...8&postcount=31

For years now he has maintained his own hosting site at his own expense, and refuses offers of contributions to help out. He almost never comments on anything, yet he reads the forums every day, and every time someone asks about a mod he is on the spot posting a link to the mod.

If that isn't helpful I don't know what is.
Old 07-23-15, 08:05 AM   #3
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Yet another nomination for Most Helpful Member: CapnScurvy. He consistently goes out of his way to help people, as typified by this post.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...5&postcount=15
Old 09-16-15, 02:14 PM   #4
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Most Helpful Member of the Year: gap

[They are rather long so I'll provide direct links only...]
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...8&postcount=80
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...9&postcount=31
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...postcount=5642

Reason:
Gap is, throughout the years, one of the most helpful and resourceful members of Subsim community. Just by simple look at his posting history, one will easily notice that almost 80 percents of his posts (and he has them a LOT) are little encyclopedias of knowledge, whether it's about historic facts , game files or any other subject.
He is also very kind and does not run away from long, time consuming, posts in order to help other members , regardless of their Subsim "internship".
In short, gap is a perfect example of person in good part responsible for Subsim's good reputation all over the world...

Last edited by vdr1981; 09-16-15 at 02:35 PM.
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-15, 05:04 PM   #5
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

I nominate NeonSamurai for Most Helpful Member of the Year.
For assisting Totem Games with localizing text in their IronClads 2 game files.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...15#post2350915

Quote:
I'll try to give a hand though some of these are hard as I don't know the context (how they are being used in the game), and I have not played this game. Italics are the original version, regular bold text is my suggestions, anything in () is my comments or questions.

There's nothing better than gamer and game developer working together.

The category you are nominating for (Post of the Year, Modder of the Year, etc.)
The name of the nominee (correctly spelled).
The contents of his post or thread in QUOTES. Don't simply say, "He said this" and a link, include at least part of his post.
A link to the post or thread. For sigs, post the image.
Include your reason for the nomination, why you think it deserves an award.
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-15, 06:51 PM   #6
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Category:
Most Helpful Member of the Year

Name of the nominee:
MaMa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaMa View Post
...After more than a year i got back to SH5 last week and i found for the first time the problem discussed in this thread [the tonnage bar bug, Ed.]...

After some investigation i found the cause of the problem... not the solution as i'm not a programmer but i think that's a little step worth mentioning. Beside this, the problem is not related to any MOD at all, my tests were done with the vanilla game, starting from the tutorial and from saved game campaigns... :

the campaign updates are managed by an application (called OSI) installed in the UPlay folder. This application starts with the main game and everytime a game is started from the beginning or loaded from a saved game it loads some commands dedicated to the update of the campaign and the tonnage bar as well... it seems not dependent from UPlay being online or offline nor from savegames being synchronized or not with UPlay main server (my thoughts are that Ubisoft moved those files in the UPlay folder and started using this application since the SH5 server isn't working anymore. In the previous versions of UPlay they weren't available...i'm not sure of this however).

Using the Debug viewer (found in a MOD, the UI mod from TDW if i'm not mistaken) i scanned OSI actions and after a lot of trials i found the difference between the game operating regularly and when it start bugged. It's all related to these strings :

[...]

in fact, by looking at those strings in the debug viewer running, it's possible to understand immediately if the game is running fine or not, if not you just need to reload the game or to restart it (if it was the beginning of a campaign game) until those strings are displayed on the viewer (beware that more often the game starts bugged than not... ).
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaMa View Post
So, i'm a little excited ... but... despite not being completely sure of that... at the moment it seems i've found a solution to the problem !!!!

Further testing needed but so far i made a 100% success rate over 5 trials... still testing but since i have no time during the next week to continue my tests i wish to share this with everyone, so if someone can try this procedure in the meantime and check if it works it would be of great help !!

So, here we go ! :

First of all, an information on the test made. Tried with the vanilla game with no MODS installed (version 1.20), therefore if someone could test it with configured MODS or something else enabled he would be more than welcome !

Firstly i recommend to have the DBGViewer enabled (it can be found in the TDW applications directory of TDW UI MOD) and make sure to have the OSI.exe file in the UPlay folder set to run with administrator rights.

Start the game and when it finishes loading go to desktop (Alt+TAB). Start the Windows Task Manager and go to the "process" list. You should have the OSI application in the list running.

Go to the OSI process and click with the RMB, select "priority" and click on "real time". The PC will tell you that it is not possible but it will set the priority to "high".

Go back to the game and start a new game or load an existing one. After the loading is completed wait 10 or 20 seconds then pause the game and with Alt+TAB go to the DBG viewer. Check if all the elements needed for the campagin updates are loaded (check my first post to see which ones are needed for the game to run correctly) and continue playing.

Check if everything is working correctly ! So far my games worked fine, with all objectives updated and the tonnage bar filling correctly...

As stated at the start of my post : i cannot confirm if it could be a solution to the problem since i made only few tests but i want to share this with all of you interested as to have some feedback ! It could be a hint for the right direction to follow for my future testing, thanks in advance for every possible incoming information !

Good luck and fingers crossed !
Reason for the nomination:
I nominate MaMa for tracking down a long-standing bug which originated from a SH5-copy-protection process not being initialized properly, causing player's achievements not to be recorded properly and campaign not to progress at all. Not only he found the culprit of the problem, when Ubisoft had demonstrated no interest into dealing with it and anyone else had given up any hope to see the bug fixed; what matters most, he also was obstinate enough to find an easy-to-apply and effective method for solving the issue. This method is currently being tested and, so far, it has demonstrated 100% effective.
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-15, 07:16 AM   #7
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123
Uploads: 0

Category:
Most Helpful Member of the Year

Name of the nominee:
MaMa

For all the reasons that Gap used in his post.
I want my MaMa.

Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-15, 03:27 PM   #8
Sjizzle
Count Dracula

Downloads: 405
Uploads: 0

Most Helpful Member of the Year: gap

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...8&postcount=80
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...9&postcount=31
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...postcount=5642

and also for his nice photoshop works for sh5 without his awesome works OH II and dynamic env. and much more.... They not have been the same.
Sjizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-15, 11:25 AM   #9
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

gear Vote here for Best of Subsim 2015: Most Helpful Member of the Year

Most Helpful Member of the Year - To consider someone for this award, you should feel he is not only friendly and interesting, as is the criteria for the Poster of the Year award, but helpful in evident ways. Such as, this nominee posts links to help solve questions other members have, he supplies answers to questions, and he is civil and doesn't batter people who disagree with him.
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-15, 04:12 PM   #10
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Voted but yet another extremely hard choice/decision.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote