Closed Thread

Old 05-16-20, 02:22 PM   #12721
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
I doubt it would have been different a result even without anything going on in the world. The EU wants too much, the UK wants nothing, that is incompatible. They are exactly where I expected them to be. I think Johnsons plan was from beginning on to just let the time pass by.
Well, either way we'll know come the end of the year.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online  
Old 05-21-20, 09:05 AM   #12722
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Jimbuna is online  
Old 05-22-20, 05:40 PM   #12723
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Letter from London.

https://assets.publishing.service.go...r_19.05.20.pdf
Old 05-23-20, 06:14 AM   #12724
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

The PM's chief aide Dominic Cummings' trip from London to Durham with his sick wife to be near relatives during the coronavirus lockdown was "in line" with guidelines, says No 10.

A spokesman said it was "essential" for Mr Cummings to ensure he had childcare if he also developed Covid-19 symptoms.

The Durham police chief said it was "unwise" for Mr Cummings to travel.

The SNP have called for him to resign, while Labour asked for a "clear explanation" for his actions.

Downing Street said Mr Cummings believed he "behaved reasonably and legally" when he made the 260-mile journey from his London home to Country Durham during the lockdown.

A No 10 spokesman said: "Owing to his wife being infected with suspected coronavirus and the high likelihood that he would himself become unwell, it was essential for Dominic Cummings to ensure his young child could be properly cared for.

"His sister and nieces had volunteered to help so he went to a house near to but separate from his extended family in case their help was needed. His sister shopped for the family and left everything outside.

"At no stage was he or his family spoken to by the police about this matter, as is being reported.

"His actions were in line with coronavirus guidelines. Mr Cummings believes he behaved reasonably and legally."

Police said they attended a property in County Durham, after the Guardian and the Daily Mirror newspapers first reported Mr Cummings had been seen near his parents' home in early April.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-52782913

Jimbuna is online  
Old 05-25-20, 06:17 AM   #12725
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 344

This "scandal" smells more like a coordinated political attack. The Guardian is pulling out all the stops going after Cummings.

Is this a real problem for Boris or a tempest in a tea cup?
Old 05-25-20, 09:13 AM   #12726
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Well, Cummings is his chief advisor and a man who many in high places loathe, so I'd say this could turn into a big problem.

He is going to explain his reasons for his actions in front of the press today and if that has little to ne effect I should imagine Boris will have to be seen to act if for nothing other yjan to prove his own credibility and leadership skills.

The main problem being there is no credible opposition atm so Boris may decide to ride the storm.

Jimbuna is online  
Old 05-30-20, 09:29 AM   #12727
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Some things never change, even to this day.

Jimbuna is online  
Old 06-06-20, 01:22 PM   #12728
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Former Commons Speaker John Bercow has told the BBC he is "sorry" that he has not been granted a peerage.

Previous outgoing Speakers have been given a seat in the House of Lords, but the government has not put forward Mr Bercow's name for consideration.

The ex-Conservative MP has been accused of bullying by his former colleagues but denies the claims.

He told BBC Radio 4's Any Questions he had "made a lot of enemies" during his 10-year stint in the Commons.

Mr Bercow accepted he was "periodically irascible" and "wouldn't take no for an answer", but insisted: "I don't think I bullied anyone, anywhere, in any way, at any time." https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-52948716
What a shame

Jimbuna is online  
Old 06-12-20, 09:47 AM   #12729
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Michael gove has formally confirmed to EU commission vice presidne tMaros Sefcovic that the UK is not seekign an extension to the Brexit transition period. By formality, such a request would have needed to be made until end of this month. "The moment for extension has now passed", Gove said.

Both sides' positions have not changed in the past 5-6 months.

There will be a video conference of the the UK's and the EU heads of states. That is probably the very last opportunity to ask for an extension at the very last moment. As long as they do not break their previously agreed formal rules (which is not rare in the EU, if you think of it, but the normal modus operandi...) I think that is unlikely, however.

With Corona cracking down very hard on the UK, the outlook of Brexit needs to be reassessed, I think. I am much more pessimistic now. A dive of the econoym by over 20% in aporil and an expoected over-the-year shrink of 11% (likely to becomer highe rof the year, I think), is something that cannot be taken as granted to be disgestable.

Push the button, close your eyes and pray - in both scenarios (Brexit done, Brexit undone).
Old 06-12-20, 01:16 PM   #12730
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Tough times ahead I reckon but not totally unexpected.

Jimbuna is online  
Old 06-13-20, 01:38 PM   #12731
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Boris Johnson will hold post-Brexit trade talks with EU Commission President Ursula von der Leyen via video link on Monday next week.

The UK and EU have said no major progress has been made towards a deal after four rounds of talks this year.

Both sides were due to decide by the end of June whether the current deadline for negotiating a deal should be extended beyond the end of December.

On Friday, the UK formally confirmed it will not extend the transition period.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-53012383

Jimbuna is online  
Old 06-15-20, 08:58 AM   #12732
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Boris Johnson is holding post-Brexit trade talks with European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen via video link this afternoon.

The PM is expected to urge "renewed energy" to reach a trade deal "by the end of the summer", ahead of the end of the transition period in December.

Mrs von der Leyen said she wanted to "inject fresh momentum" into the talks.

Both sides have said no major progress has been made towards a deal after four rounds of talks this year.

It comes after the EU accepted that the UK will not seek to extend the transition period.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-53048164

Jimbuna is online  
Old 06-16-20, 02:14 PM   #12733
skidman
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 85
Default Well done Marcus Rashford

England international and Manchester United forward Marcus Rashford has published a letter on Twitter to encourage MPs to reconsider their decision to cancel the food voucher scheme for poor children over the summer holidays.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...-letter-to-mps

Government had rejected Rashford's call but in the meantime has made the U-turn and decided to extend the scheme.

Well done Marcus!

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.” (Douglas Adams)
Old 06-17-20, 05:03 AM   #12734
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

He's not stopping there either.

Quote:
Footballer Marcus Rashford says he wants to do more to help those in need after winning a battle to have a free school meal voucher scheme extended.

His campaign prompted a government U-turn that will see parents claim vouchers for about 1.3 million children in England during the summer holidays.

But he told BBC Breakfast there are "more steps that need to be taken".
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53073977

Jimbuna is online  
Old 06-18-20, 01:57 PM   #12735
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Jimbuna is online  
Closed Thread

Tags
british, politics