SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-19-18, 11:55 AM   #1
xpatka3000
Swabbie

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0
Default CTD on game save load and can't rotate hydrophone pointer in sonar station

... on Tambor, Gar, Balao, Gato class submarines. Cannot manually rotate pin 360 to detect sound contacts since Ai sonarman has a bad case of eardrum puncture..... forever

Hydrophone on S-18, S-42, Porpoise, Salmon, Sargo are working just fine

So what's the thing with first four classes, is it on purpose? Is this unsolvable bug?

It's just like hydrophone is not there. When i click on hydrophone circle to rotate pointer, camera rotation is selected.

I am playing SH4 v1.5 vanilla.

Starting with S-18 on December 1941 after 7 war patrols i accepted gato class submarine. That's about august-ish? 1942. I think to myself great, now starts the fun , but no guys/girls in ubisoft had a different idea on their mind....... game crash on loading save game.
I have tried 2 solutions i find in this forum but non of them worked
1. load save game with boat in base, then load save game that crashes
2. compare corrupted save game with first working save game in save folder and delete all files in corrupted save that are not the same as in working save game folder

Every time i start first patrol with gato class submarine i previously got, i play for 2-3 hours, save with different name, exit the game, want to continue and save is automatically corrupted. 2 patrols with multiple save files are gone, i can load in base but i can't load game where i am on patrol.

Any solutions, and what causes this bug, i want to avoid further obstacles in my attempt to play trough entire war from start to the end.
xpatka3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-18, 02:24 PM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Where did you get the game from? Steam? Amazon? Disk or software download? What folder do you have it installed in? Have you had any mods previously activated?

My game does similar in Stock, but I've always used the <Home> and <End> keys (next to the number pad) on mine to rotate the heads, if that helps you any...

Save games are rather finicky, and you shouldn't delete files or portions of the Save data from them. When loading a Save, it has to match what you're doing.

btw - "Welcome to SubSim!"

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-18, 05:11 PM   #3
xpatka3000
Swabbie

I bought disk around 2010 in store, installed game in D:\games\Silent Hunter 4 Wolves of the Pacific, never used mods, only on sh3

Didn't delete anything till crashes started to happen, everything was fine till i accepted new boat, gato class, i restarted first patrol with gato 2 times with same result, game crash on load every time no matter in how many different saves i saved the game. Docked at base always loaded normally

Home, end keys work, thank you for the tip. It is something at least.
Old 03-19-18, 06:02 PM   #4
propbeanie

Your install location should be fine, it being a disk install is also good... You would not be able to play the game if the DirectX v9C was missing... How much hard drive space is left for your computer to use? Have you de-fragmented the hard drive(s) lately? How about "chkdsk" ("Error-checking" on the Tools tab of the hard drive's Properties page in Windows)?

Old 03-19-18, 07:06 PM   #5
xpatka3000
Swabbie

C and D are relatively new about 1 year, started to use disks in march 2017, C is 100 gb ssd and has 30 gb free space, D is 1tb, it has 120 gb free space. didn't check for defrag. I have a problem with bad sectors on hdd but thats on F disk.
Old 03-19-18, 07:13 PM   #6
propbeanie

That is what I was wondering about, was bad sectors, but also, while 120 gig of free space seems like a lot, it is right at 10% of the drive's size. Windows gets weird about that. Where do you have your swap file for Windows? You might consider adding another hard drive, or replacing the 1TB drive with a new, larger one. Which hard drive holds your F partition? Or is it a separate hard drive? Is that the restore partition for your computer? If so, that error is possibly a misinterpretation of the data by Windows, and might not be bad sectors.

Old 03-20-18, 04:12 AM   #7
xpatka3000
Swabbie

All drives are separate disks, i have no partitions, don't know where to look for swap file for windows.I Don't have any problems with other steam or non steam games or windows itself, no any errors on startup. Damaged sectors are on separate disk and i am not using it for now, no program is runned from disk F until i fix this bad sectors and i clean up the disk. restore points and backups must be on C:\ by default, since i installed windows year ago i didn't change any option in backup, i just use disk cleanup to remove junk and old files.
Old 03-20-18, 04:48 AM   #8
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > xpatka3000
Subsim <> Make A Donation <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community
SH3-4-5 Tutorials And Other Information Links In My Signature Below
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-18, 05:45 AM   #9
mikesn9
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 68

for the sonar problem:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=4099

Gato class also used in those other boats
mikesn9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-18, 07:13 AM   #10
xpatka3000
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesn9 View Post
for the sonar problem:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=4099

Gato class also used in those other boats
Thank you, works like a charm
Old 03-20-18, 07:53 AM   #11
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpatka3000 View Post
All drives are separate disks, i have no partitions, don't know where to look for swap file for windows.I Don't have any problems with other steam or non steam games or windows itself, no any errors on startup. Damaged sectors are on separate disk and i am not using it for now, no program is runned from disk F until i fix this bad sectors and i clean up the disk. restore points and backups must be on C:\ by default, since i installed windows year ago i didn't change any option in backup, i just use disk cleanup to remove junk and old files.
Did you happen to go to the trash can with the cleanup, or complete delete, do you remember? Windows may have removed old DirectX9 files during that disk "clean-up". Try re-installing DirectX v9c, which you could do from the Silent Hunter disk, or from downloading at MS site:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down....aspx?id=34429

Just remember that once a Save is corrupted, it is corrupted. You can not reuse them anymore. If that doesn't make things better, you might have to re-install the whole game in order to get rid of the corrupted Saves. SH4 is much better than SH3 at saving, though it's definitely not perfect...

Last edited by propbeanie; 03-20-18 at 08:16 AM. Reason: corrupt Saves
Old 03-20-18, 08:55 AM   #12
xpatka3000
Swabbie

Well at disk cleanup i ticked every field that had size behind it, temp internet files, recycle bin, temp files, thumbnails. Usually when disk cleanup is done there is nothing in recycle bin, usually i don't delete anything by myself at system disk, i steer clear of windows dir.

I stared from scratch anyway, if any more crashes reappear ill make tons of different saves at different patrol progress to detect what is causing the crash.

I had 7 patrols before and no any problems with save or load and i saved hefty amount of times overwriting the same save file. It all started when i accepted new boat, i "presume" that some game mechanics cause crash, crashes happen on saves where boat is in radar or visual range of a convoy.

Strange things i noticed when first crash appeared, bow dive planes where strangely twisted, when diving they where in retracted position but at the same time they where twisted downside, don't know if that's animation bug. several patrols before i could not activate silent running because sub was not registered to be submerged, crew was still on deck even tho i was at 200 ft, i fixed that by saving and reloading the patrol, so i used save/load function a lot without any problems. Usually i had 2 saves per patrol, i deleted old saves from load screen.
Old 03-20-18, 09:57 AM   #13
propbeanie

I would un-install the game then, and then re-install it. Try reading CapnScurvy's thread Windows10; Large Address Aware; SH4 Install. I don't know if you have Windows 10, which is what CapnScurvy writes about, but most of his comments can be applied to Windows 8 and 7 without too many changes. Be sure and delete the Save folder (usually "C:\User \YourName \SH4") prior to the re-install. SH4 will create a new Save folder. When you play the game, make a new save each time. Do not overwrite saves. Once you get a few Saves, you should be able to delete some of the older Save files. Do not click the "Save replay", unless you really need to see the replay, such as if your boat is sunk, but you don't know how it happened and want to "see" it. If you do Save a replay, save the game without a replay first, just in case. Try not to save when there is a lot of action around your submarine. The less you "stress" the Save file, the better your chances of having a good re-load of that Save. There have been several other threads lately about Save issues, so read around in some of those, and see what aanker and others have pointed the other members to.

You really shouldn't be having so many "glitches" with the game. Some of the problems you describe are perplexing, and probably frustrating, I'm sure...

Edit: Just happened to remember some Windows setup details... Do you have write-caching enabled on your SSD drive? I've been out of the loop on almost all things Microsoft since the Windows XP days, so I'm not certain of the validity of this in "modern" Windows, but back when, you had to be careful to let the write caching complete writing to the hard drive (flush) before you exited an application, which might have its own disk routines in that application, else you would end up with corrupt data. Like I say though, that was over 10 years ago. I am not certain if Silent Hunter uses Windows routines to write to the disk or not...

Last edited by propbeanie; 03-20-18 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Edit
Old 03-20-18, 01:55 PM   #14
xpatka3000
Swabbie

Thank you for the advice, ill give it a try one more time, if it persist ill reinstall the game. I am sort of gamer, have been playing silent hunter I back in 1998/99, and all sort of different games, you would be amazed with ingenuity of a gamer to work around game limitations and/or bugs. This bugs i mentioned are just small obstacles, when any game crashes windows and forces you to hard reset PC or formats whole disk when you try to uninstall the game then we are talking about frustration.
Old 03-20-18, 02:11 PM   #15
propbeanie

Oh, to have the graphics and modifiable campaign of SH4 with the old SSI / Aegis "Silent Hunter"... sigh... but that was then, and this is now (over Ten Years After for SH4 now)...

Tags
ctd, hydrophone