SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-08-15, 08:15 PM   #1
Voxman
Watch

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0
SHO Need to find patch? 1.5 for SH4

Hi,
You guys are miles ahead of me... not used to this forum at all and have trouble navigating to find things. I understand if I am running V1.4 then I need to upgrade/upload to V1.5 but I cannot find that thread or area in these maze of Threads and topics. Believe me I've used the "search" function and that just turns up more detours and deadends...sorry to be so obtuse.
BTW I used to play this game a few years back and had actually figured out how to use the MODS to add spice to the game. I remember it being somewhat difficult but eventually I was able to get things to work. Now I have a newer faster more powerful PC and got bored after retiring about 6 months ago so I thought why not reload SH4 and see what fun I can have again. So here I am but stumped looking for the elusive V1.5
Can anyone point me in a direction?
Thanks
Voxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-15, 08:24 PM   #2
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

Version 1.5 of SH4 is not a mod, or free patch, you have to buy it from Ubisoft, or elsewhere.

You are correct that you need v1.5 for most of the mods here. There are a limited number that were made for older versions, but most of us have v1.5.

I have v1.5 (the 'Gold Edition'), on disc, but there are other digital versions, Steam, etc., as well. If possible, I recommend you get this version.

Oh, and welcome aboard!

TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-15, 08:24 PM   #3
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

It's not actually a patch; it's a major overhaul of the game which adds U-Boats and fixes a lot of stuff for the American side. The reason you can't find if for download is that it's not free - it must be purchased. Amazon is one place you can find it.
http://www.amazon.com/Silent-Hunter-...ilent+hunter+4
Old 09-08-15, 08:53 PM   #4
Voxman
Watch

Ah!! The light bulb has now been illuminated. I had a sneaking suspicion that might be the case. Thanks for clearing up that muddy water...

It is my understanding that V1.5 is all about U-boat warfare in the Atlantic??? If it is I really don't have any interest in playing a German role and much much prefer being a US captain in the Pacific hunting the Imperial navy. Am I missing something here? Please clarify if the 2 different SH versions coexist as one game but in different oceans. I'm interested in getting better graphics and variety but not at the expense of becoming a German Uboat commander.

Thanks everyone for the quick replies
Old 09-08-15, 09:01 PM   #5
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

The main reason to get v1.5 is that the it fixes a number of bugs, and is required to use most of the mods. The U-boat thing is misleading; you don't have to play as the germans. v1.5 is the latest and best version of SH4. They are not parallel versions/games.
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-15, 09:16 PM   #6
Voxman
Watch

SHO

Thanks Torpx for clearing that up too. I've been reading up on SH1.5...reviews and comments... most seem fairly positive. Originally I had been turned off by the fact the version seemed to be just a German Uboat game which for personal reasons didn't want anything to do with (unless I could blow THEM out of the water). I think it came out about the time I quit playing SH4 so I didn't follow things about the mods and such after that.
I am truly amazed and humbled by the depth of involvement that so many of the users on this forum have achieved. It is mind-boggling to me that the majority of the players posting here are so knowledgeable about both all aspects of submarine warfare and at same time so technically capable around a PC's insides. I love playing the game but I guess I'm just not interested in the nuts and bolts behind the scenes...I just wanna get to the action ASAP and see how much damage I can inflict on the enemy. I appreciate all the efforts in modifying the game to enhance the experience. The more realistic the better... Keep up the great work guys. I hope I can be more than a casual player and contribute something someday!
Old 09-08-15, 09:22 PM   #7
Voxman
Watch

Since I am leaning on getting the 1.5 version, are there any recommendations as to where to download it versus another website? Would getting it from Ubisoft be more reliable versus say Amazon?

Thanks again
Old 09-08-15, 09:32 PM   #8
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

Voxman!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-15, 10:54 PM   #9
fithah4
Torpedoman

Downloads: 105
Default Disc vs. download?

I prefer having a hard disc myself... Having several hard drive crashes and the latest rig set up now. On the downloads it was discussed about needing a pass code to re-launch the game to install on your computer.

The price has came way down since first coming out and a new copy is 10.00 to 15 bucks compared to 65.00 when first released.
Fith
fithah4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-15, 06:50 AM   #10
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by fithah4 View Post
I prefer having a hard disc myself... Having several hard drive crashes and the latest rig set up now. On the downloads it was discussed about needing a pass code to re-launch the game to install on your computer.

The price has came way down since first coming out and a new copy is 10.00 to 15 bucks compared to 65.00 when first released.
Fith
Haw! Haw! I bought my original copy of SH4 in 2007 for $15.00 because the game was too advanced for a guy's computer. He might not think so much of his sale today. I'll bet he has a computer that will run it fine and the game really stands the test of time well.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-15, 07:13 AM   #11
ColonelSandersLite
Captain

Downloads: 71
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voxman View Post
It is my understanding that V1.5 is all about U-boat warfare in the Atlantic???
Small correction here. The expansion is not about the atlantic. It's about monsun gruppe.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monsun_Gruppe

Everything everyone says is right though. Get it for the bug fixes and mod compatibility and just ignore the german campaign if you so chose.
Old 09-09-15, 07:49 AM   #12
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Welcome to SubSim Voxman

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-15, 08:39 AM   #13
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Welcome to SubSim Voxman!

As was pointed out by a couple others, I wouldn't upgrade using a Download. I did years ago with a site called Direct2Drive. After about a year or so of time.....if you wanted to re download from the site again, you had to call tech support to have them re issue the code for accessibility. Some time later, D2D was sold to another company and I just didn't want to get into the hassle I was going to have with proving I purchased the download rights from years earlier to a third party.

Today, a disk copy can be had through several sites. Look for the "Gold Edition". It has the complete game updated to version 1.5 (which, as you have learned, has the U-Boats Add-on included). InetVideo is the site I purchased mine some years ago. The DVD of Silent Hunter IV Gold Edition (click the name) can be purchased for under 15.00 dollars U.S. Took all of 4 days to arrive, coming from the Montreal Canada UbiSoft head quarters.

If you plan to use some of the mods found here, you will need to do just a couple of things to keep your game running smoothly. JSGME (JonesSoft Game Mod Enabler) is an app that will add mods to your game (most mods are compatible with JSGME). One thing that's critical to do before ever trying a mod......Allow JSGME to "Take a Snapshot" of your freshly installed game files, so you can "Compare" the game files at a future time for possible corruption (due to mod activation/de activation). This feature is the best way of checking your main game files for any possible changes.

Another thing is to only add mods that are compatible to the version of the game you have. If you have version 1.5.....only use mods that are made for a version 1.5 game.

Happy Hunting.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-15, 08:54 AM   #14
Tshark
Sailor man

Downloads: 52

Welcome Voxman! I downloaded SH4 gold edition from Amazon a couple weeks ago. The download went flawless and I did save the install file to a thumb drive for safe keeping. I too used to be hesitant to download a game, but have found that in essence you get two back-ups of the game. One is a copy you make on a thumb drive and the other remains on your account. Again welcome to Subsim, you will be hard pressed to find a more helpful group on the internet!
Tshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-15, 11:58 AM   #15
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
...JSGME (JonesSoft Game Mod Enabler) is
"Jonesoft Generic Mod Enabler" actually. Not just for games, it can be used for modding applications too. Any modding that is based on simple file replacements.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote