Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-02-13, 07:19 PM   #61
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Only n00bs play training missions.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-13, 09:02 PM   #62
Stealhead
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

Well you guys are clearly unaware of the action/sci-fi rules.

Here are few of them....

1.All firearms have bottomless magazines.The exception of this rule is when
a bad ass scene required where having to reload the weapon looks cool.

2.All firearms are most deadly when fired from the hip this is multiplied by 2 times when shooting a belt or drum feed weapon.Alteration sideways held handguns are more accurate.Alternation Akimobo is more accurate and deadly this one is very popular as it allows the occasional super insane reloading sequence.

3.Women are present to attract young men into watching the movie.Their direct role in the movie is either to die while a male tries to save her or in rare cases to actually be the one that saves the day Lt.Ripley for example in Alien and Aliens and Alien 3 and Sarah Connor in Terminator and Terminator 2.An alternate example is where the woman turns out to be the villain or a minion.

4.Bad guys always have some sort of really cool weapon that either just looks cool or kills people in a cool way sometimes both.Great example the bad alien in "I come in Peace".

5.Firearms always make strange clicking sounds during stand off situations.

6.Usually in a Sci-fi type movie the protagonists will start with a large group/team/unit that slowly gets picked off yet fro some reason no one seems to grasp the depth of the situation until only a handful are left.This also applies to most horror films only its a group of teenagers or young adults.

7.Typically if there is a military or similar unit it is illogical and disorganized and does not follow any real life logic.An Exception would the Space Marines in Aliens.
Stealhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-13, 09:35 PM   #63
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115

^^^^

FTW!

That's great...

You can't forget the gear during a standoff....Everybody's equipment makes strange clicking sounds....Everything on their belt rattles when they barely move.

Old 06-02-13, 11:19 PM   #64
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red October1984 View Post
^^^^

FTW!

That's great...

You can't forget the gear during a standoff....Everybody's equipment makes strange clicking sounds....Everything on their belt rattles when they barely move.

He could also be referring to the venerable Hollywood Hero Habit of re-cocking an already loaded weapon repeatedly, apparently for no other reason other than to punctuate whatever point the operator is making at the moment. Used most often with a pump shotgun but also with crew served machine guns.

Old 06-03-13, 07:42 PM   #65
WernherVonTrapp
Admiral

Downloads: 105

A few more to add:

October Sky
Beyond The Sea
Midnight In The Garden Of Good And Evil
Gross Point Blank
K-PAX
Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story
Saints And Soldiers
Sprial
The Village
Sophie's Choice
The Deer Hunter
"What is truth?"
-Pontius Pilate
WernherVonTrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-13, 07:46 PM   #66
Stealhead
Navy Seal

"Blues Brothers" is a good comedy.

I love the part where the Nazis are chasing Jake and Elwood and they go over that incomplete over pass and then fall from a ridiculous height past the Sears Tower
and then the driver looks at the party leader and says "I have always loved you".
Old 06-03-13, 07:58 PM   #67
WernherVonTrapp
Admiral

Downloads: 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealhead View Post
"Blues Brothers" is a good comedy.

I love the part where the Nazis are chasing Jake and Elwood and they go over that incomplete over pass and then fall from a ridiculous height past the Sears Tower
and then the driver looks at the party leader and says "I have always loved you".
"It's got a cop motor, a 440-cubic-inch plant. It's got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas."
"What is truth?"
-Pontius Pilate
WernherVonTrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-13, 08:08 PM   #68
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by WernherVonTrapp View Post
"It's got a cop motor, a 440-cubic-inch plant. It's got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas."
Yeah truly one of the great comedy movies of all time.

"It's a hundred and six miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses.

Hit it
."

Old 06-03-13, 08:36 PM   #69
Cybermat47
Willing Webfooted Beast

Downloads: 293
Uploads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post

"It's a hundred and six miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses.

Hit it
."
Which is then followed by an epic car chase that is only equalled by the one in Blues Brothers 2000.
Old 06-03-13, 08:43 PM   #70
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybermat47 View Post
Which is then followed by an epic car chase that is only equalled by the one in Blues Brothers 2000.
That rendition of Ghost Riders in the Sky was awesome.

Old 06-03-13, 09:43 PM   #71
Stealhead
Navy Seal

"Animal House" is another good comedy.

Another good recent movie (2010 I think) "Kick Ass" I really like the part where Kick Ass protects the dude getting jumped and pretty much is getting beat down but he refuses to leave the man.

Seems to me like the peak for comedies was the early '80s they where just funnier.

Today most comedies try to please too many audiences and usually when they do that the humor is flat and forgettable.A recent exception would be "The Hangover" very funny movie they really should have left it at that "Hangover has some funny moments but it is pretty much the same thing only in Thailand.

Another problem these days "Romantic Comedies"....I dont really need to say more but no one really likes these.

I think the entire "satisfy" various audiences to cover the most demographics ideology with most films these days is what makes movies less interesting long term.Even the decent movies just are not as good as they used to be.There is also too much focus on bombarding the screen with too much action which makes it hard to focus on what is going on which in turn makes you less interested.

"Avatar" for example there is just too much going on in most scenes and the CGI just looks too clean or something it makes the world look unnatural.

Too much CGI is a problem in many movies.
Old 06-03-13, 09:49 PM   #72
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Quote:
Too much CGI is a problem in many movies.

Yeah it's an extension of the sad tendency of todays movie makers to use special effects as a substitute for a good plot.

Old 06-03-13, 09:54 PM   #73
Stealhead
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
Yeah it's an extension of the sad tendency of todays movie makers to use special effects as a substitute for a good plot.

Avatar is a great example again here basically Avatar has the plots of other James Cameron movies mixed into it a bit of Aliens here a bit of Terminator and T2 there a dash of Titanic.

I thought it was poetic justice when his ex wife got the Academy Award for best director and best picture with "The Hurt Locker" which actually had a really good plot and a protagonist that you actually cared about.It also had only minimal special effects only what was needed.
Old 06-03-13, 09:59 PM   #74
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Another problem these days "Romantic Comedies"....I dont really need to say more but no one really likes these.
Thank you for presuming to speak for the entire planet. Going back a few years there have been several romantic comedies that I've thoroughly enjoyed. Murphy's Romance, with James Garner and Sally Field comes to mind. Don Juan de Marco, with Marlon Brando, Faye Dunaway and Johnny Depp is another. More recently I've found myself liking movies like Juno and 500 Days of Summer.

No, in general I'm not fond of the genre, but there have been more than a few that tickled me, so I guess I count as "no one".
Old 06-03-13, 10:15 PM   #75
Stealhead
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
Thank you for presuming to speak for the entire planet. Going back a few years there have been several romantic comedies that I've thoroughly enjoyed. Murphy's Romance, with James Garner and Sally Field comes to mind. Don Juan de Marco, with Marlon Brando, Faye Dunaway and Johnny Depp is another. More recently I've found myself liking movies like Juno and 500 Days of Summer.

No, in general I'm not fond of the genre, but there have been more than a few that tickled me, so I guess I count as "no one".
I was thinking more along the lines of Friends With Benefits,Sex and the City those flicks.As a genre it has a lot of lousy movies.Anyway there are exceptions to the rule.

I just look at the DVD/Bluray shelves at my friends house and all of the romantic comedies present then I think of ways to avoid having to watch one what creative excuse can I come up with.The funny thing is I bet my friend is the one who watches them not his wife.

Of course there is no doubt that sci-fi and horror those two have the highest number of horrible films.

Tags
films, movie, movies