SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-10-20, 03:44 PM   #1
Mios 4Me
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

Default Unexpected areas of responsibility

Until upgrading to FotRSUE fairly recently, I'd almost always based out of Midway and Fremantle because Truk never really worked in the stock version of the game. Operating out of Brisbane now, I have had my first ever assignments to the Gulfs of Tonkin and Siam, to my surprise. IIRC, I've had assignments out of Fremantle before the Halmahera (Mios on the NavMap) and certainly to the Celebes Sea, so I would have expected Tonkin and Siam to be under Fremantle control. Is this historically accurate?

Also, who's responsible for the northern area between Korea and China? I've never had an assignment there either.

Any other unusual areas of responsibility?
Mios 4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-20, 04:08 PM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Most likely not 'historical'. Brisbane and Fremantle were both SoWesPac, and Brisbane did start going further west after Guadalcanal let up in early 1943, but the Gulf of Siam after mid-1942 would have been probably under British control, and the Gulf of Tonkin would have been quite a haul. Especially if you don't stop at Darwin (if available) or somewhere enroute to top-off the tanks. Part of the problem stems from the old generic Stock boat assignments, which follow the boats, passed to TMO, passed to FOTRS, passed to FotRSU. An update of mission assignments is planned in the future, with a better delineation between SoWesPac and CenPac assignments. From Brisbane, after Guadalcanal, you would move up the chain to the Bismarcks and then on to assignments in the Philippines, maybe the Mariannas or Gilberts, if enroute to Pearl for an overhaul. As for the Yellow Sea area, that was avoided during the war until later, when it became necessary to go in there to find the remaining targets. It is too shallow for "safe" submarine operations. If would fall under the direction of Pearl, until in 1945 when Subic would have it, late.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-20, 05:22 PM   #3
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mios 4Me View Post
Until upgrading to FotRSUE fairly recently, I'd almost always based out of Midway and Fremantle because Truk never really worked in the stock version of the game. Operating out of Brisbane now, I have had my first ever assignments to the Gulfs of Tonkin and Siam, to my surprise. IIRC, I've had assignments out of Fremantle before the Halmahera (Mios on the NavMap) and certainly to the Celebes Sea, so I would have expected Tonkin and Siam to be under Fremantle control. Is this historically accurate?

Also, who's responsible for the northern area between Korea and China? I've never had an assignment there either.

Any other unusual areas of responsibility?

Boats out of Brisbane did patrol South China Sea, Tonkin, Siam etc once Rabaul and Truk were Pacified by Spring early summer of 44. One reason the base at Manus in Admiralty Islands became so important. US boats did patrol Tonkin and Siam Gulfs in 44 and 45, whole war as far as I know. Would make more sense of send boats from Fremantle but believe it became on what boat was available to patrol on what date.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-20, 12:20 PM   #4
Mios 4Me
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

Thanks for clarification; this was in early 1944.

What a resource base we have!
Mios 4Me is offline   Reply With Quote